cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private message notification icon on home page - New?

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm not sure how new this is, but I just saw something that might be a relatively recent change.  When members receive a new private message in their community account, the home page message inbox icon  appears with a balloon indicating the number of "unread" messages.  Like this:

Unread PM Notification Icon

If this is new, PM must have gotten tired of sending private messages to members and not having them read and responded to in a timely manner because the members simply weren't aware of the message due to lack of notification.  Unfortunately that has been happening unnecessarily.  Glad to see even relatively minor improvements like this that could make a difference.  Smiley Happy

Or maybe I just haven't noticed because I haven't gotten messages recently.  Anyone else just notice this?

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren

@SD08 yeah, given that this is the primary communication mechanism through which to receive support from the moderators, this feature absolutely should be on by default.  I'm 99% sure I already bravo'd your idea, but I will check now and do so if I haven't.  Thanks for posting it!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Aha! I've found it... check the Receive email notifications for new private messages box!

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 8.09.02 AM.png

That's why you haven't responded to me @stonechucker!! j/k Robot LOL

Yeah, the first time you see that Unread prompt, it's startling! Thanks @Luddite for bringing our attention that you can turn on email notifications on for private messages. I'm going to do that, as I don't always come on here as soon as I get a notification, but I would if it were a private message.

SD08

@Luddite wrote:

@SD08 It may also interest you to know it's possible to receive an email notification of a private message. Especially important for time sensitive account resets. The how to is oultlined in here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating/...

Yes, I knew about that feature.  It's unfortunate that the e-mail notification of private messages is off by default when new community accounts are created, which is why I posted the idea that they be turned on by default here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/E-mail-notifications-ON-by-default-for-rece...

In the meantime, I'm glad to see that there is at least a notification icon that shows up for new messages next to the so-tiny-it's-easy-to-miss private messenger envelope icon on the community home page.

@SD08 It may also interest you to know it's possible to receive an email notification of a private message. Especially important for time sensitive account resets. The how to is oultlined in here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating/...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

It took me a while to see this, as I run a zooming software to 2x my screen, and run a browser window at 1/2 full screen.  The right side of my browser content is general hidden "out of the window" unless I scroll to look for it.

This notification is always hidden on my screen, but I'm not expecting any PMs right now 🙂

SD08

@NDesai wrote:

This is not a recent change. 

Thanks for noticing and sharing with others. 

Okay, thanks.  I guess I missed it the last time I got a message.  Cat Embarassed

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

This is not a recent change. 

Thanks for noticing and sharing with others. 

Need Help? Let's chat.