cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible nex customer

EDL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a older iPhone 5SE that I am seeking to put on a new phone plan. I currently have a phone number through my employer and am retiring this month. I have had the number for almost 20 years, so obviously a lot of linkages to this # ! 

Obviously I need a new SIM, but I would like my older number applied.  What steps might I need to take in prder for Public Mobile to "acquire" this older telephone # ?

BTW - the # I am seeking to apply to this 5SE will remain active until Feb 28, 2020 (my last day of work.

12 REPLIES 12

@EDL  Contact the HR department of your company.  Explain your intent. They will direct you to who handles these requests. They will give you the authorization/instructions to complete your request. Over the next couple of weeks wait for a promotion from public mobile and activate your SIM card with a temporary number. With a minimum of 3-7 days before the February 28th initiate porting your number thru your pm account using the change number feature.Contact a moderator if necessary. This will insure you have enough time to sort out any issues with porting before your last day at work. Welcome to public mobile.

@EDL 

Would your employer let you transfer the number? If they will not raiser any dust about it you should be fine.

Even verbal confirmation should be ok, better if you get it by email or sms.

You will see that there is a checkmark that you click stating that you have authority to do transfer

You just need to have information exactly as on the bill

Best to copy and paste

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@EDL 

Do you know somebody with the public mobile?

You can ask them to pretend that they are porting in your phone number, once they put it in it will tell them if the number is not available for port.

If it is available to port the form will show up, your friend should take screenshots of the form so you know exactly what kind of info you need to provider.

I'm assuming you do have access to the bill and can just copy and paste info from the bill

Welcome to public mobile

@Luddite wrote:

@CannonFodder No need to look around as only the account holder of a phone number is legally entitled to transfer the number. In this situation, the business must allow its release. 

That's what I thought, but thanks for the confirmation.... saves me from digging around too much! 👍 

Assuming the OP's number IS in the company's name, do you KNOW how this could be accomplished, i.e. would it be like I suggested, and the company would have to contact the provider and get the number/account put in the OP's name, or can they simply give some form of authorization for the OP to transfer that number? If it's the latter choice, how would the OP go about making that known to PM..... contact the Mod team, or something else?

@CannonFodder No need to look around as only the account holder of a phone number is legally entitled to transfer the number. In this situation, the business must allow its release. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Thanks for the information on chatr  @CannonFodder . Bzzzbt stored for future use.😊

@CannonFodder wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@EDL  You will need moderator help to port your number over from chatr or Koodo prepaid . For all other providers you can initiate port from within.

Uhm.... where did you get THAT info from, i.e. the bit about Chatr? From what I've read around here, the Mod help is required for Koodo prepaid, because Koodo & PM prepaid services share the same "backend", but that's not true for Chatr, since they're a Rogers company. Do you KNOW that Chatr ports need a Mod?

Ports from ChatR can be initiated through self serve as normal. HOWEVER, get in touch with ChatR customer service first to obtain your account number (which ChatR doesn't disclose in their customer accessible account platform). Make sure that the ChatR account is still active (ie DO NOT allow the CSR to close it), and use your account as only verification item in the porting form.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@EDL  As a followup to my previous post..... I not COMPLETELY sure that the name on the account would be an issue, but IIRC, I THINK it is, so it might be a good idea, that if the number you want to keep is indeed under the employer's name, you should inquire if they'd be ok with transferring it into your name before the end of the month.

I'll have a look around the forums, and see if I can find that previous thread on the topic.

@gblackma wrote:

@EDL  You will need moderator help to port your number over from chatr or Koodo prepaid . For all other providers you can initiate port from within.

Uhm.... where did you get THAT info from, i.e. the bit about Chatr? From what I've read around here, the Mod help is required for Koodo prepaid, because Koodo & PM prepaid services share the same "backend", but that's not true for Chatr, since they're a Rogers company. Do you KNOW that Chatr ports need a Mod?

Ckyaimee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You should be able to port the number just like normal - although you may need to get special permission since it is technically a work number.  When they close your cell phone your number would be "lost" and re-applied to some other customer if you don't port it. With that being said you want to make sure that you port the number before you close you work phone, if not you will lose it. 

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@EDL  We've had someone else recently try this, and it ended up being a problem. I don't recall the exact issue(s), nor do I recall seeing the final outcome, but I THINK the person had a problem keeping their number, because it wasn't under their name, but rather under their employer's name.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@EDL  purchase and activate a SIM  with a temporary telephone number on the 27th. Set up a my   account . Then port your number over on the 28th from within it. You will need moderator help to port your number over from chatr or Koodo prepaid . For all other providers you can initiate port from within.

Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 credit.

Edit as per @CannonFodder only Koodo prepaid requires moderator help to port.

@EDL wrote:

I have a older iPhone 5SE that I am seeking to put on a new phone plan. I currently have a phone number through my employer and am retiring this month. I have had the number for almost 20 years, so obviously a lot of linkages to this # ! 

Obviously I need a new SIM, but I would like my older number applied.  What steps might I need to take in prder for Public Mobile to "acquire" this older telephone # ?

BTW - the # I am seeking to apply to this 5SE will remain active until Feb 28, 2020 (my last day of work.

Need Help? Let's chat.