cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a prepaid number from Rogers

Flashdance
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ported my Roges number yesterday and still have no service on the new Public Mobile SIM card.

I logged in to my old Rogers account this morning and it is now "Inactive".

But I still have no service on the Public Mobile SIM.

How long does it take for the SIM to become active and usable?  

Please let me know, and if it should be done by now (about 16 hours since I signed up) please tell me how to fix it.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

@Flashdance wrote:

poweered off and on numerous times. Also removed, and reseated the SIM more than once.

When I search for Netowrks manually the only network that appears is Rogers. However I am 100% CERTAIN that Public Mobile is available in my area because someone sitting next to me is using Public Mobile right at this moment.

This either means that you have your phone set to 2g only model, or that your phone is incompatible with the service.  Public Mobile does not have a 2g network.  If your phone is compatible with Public Mobile's 3g network, you would at least see the network in the network search.  Otherwise, your phone is incompatible and you will need to purchase a new one.

After I typed all that, I realized that you had already tried another phone and got things working.  Good to hear.

amazon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

cool, good to hear it worked.

Flashdance
BINGO! I borrowed a phone, moved the SIM to the borrowed phone and was able to make and receive calls. The old phone was a quad band! Strange

amazon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had the same issue. Is it possible your phone isn't compatiable with the network? The phone I was using before was with Freedom which uses different frequency bands. I thought the phone was compatiable with the Public network until I double checked the frequency bands and it turns out it isn't. So maybe try putting the SIM in another phone to test if you have access to one.

Flashdance

poweered off and on numerous times. Also removed, and reseated the SIM more than once.

When I search for Netowrks manually the only network that appears is Rogers. However I am 100% CERTAIN that Public Mobile is available in my area because someone sitting next to me is using Public Mobile right at this moment.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Did you try powering off your phone and removing the SIM?

You can also try going into your Cellular network settings and choose Public Mobile as the Network operator.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Flashdance, it looks like you might have a stuck port.  You will need moderator team assistance to resubmit the port.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in your private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.  Good luck and welcome to Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.