cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo self serve app shutdown

clarkbrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Did anyone else see that koodo was shutting down it's self serve app? Apparently it's because most people use the website.

Hopefully PM gets one in the future. Not a necessity but it would be nice.
17 REPLIES 17

Thanks @srlawren for the heads up on self serve... I recall now that was why I didn't continue in the mobile browser.

ChopstickHero
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@stonechucker glad you like the mobile version of the community and that it works for you!  Unfortunately, I think you will probably be disappointed by the self-serve site.  @ChopstickHero has it wrong, the self serve site is not responsive at all.  It's just the desktop site that renders, and you have to pinch to zoom and move stuff around in order to see everything.  This is why I say hopefully they at least do a responsive redesign.

You're right, meant to say it's *not* responsive. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker glad you like the mobile version of the community and that it works for you!  Unfortunately, I think you will probably be disappointed by the self-serve site.  @ChopstickHero has it wrong, the self serve site is not responsive at all.  It's just the desktop site that renders, and you have to pinch to zoom and move stuff around in order to see everything.  This is why I say hopefully they at least do a responsive redesign.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

From a visually impaired user....
This is my first time using my Nexus 5 to read and post to this forum. It amazes me how easy it is. I will checkout self serve later when I have more time.

The interface is clean, but I might make some suggestions for improvement in the future.

Can't believe this is better than my

ChopstickHero
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

An app is expensive to create and maintain. A mobile-specific version of self-serve would be a great thing to have. Right now it's *not* responsive (which works fine), but some nicer UI would definitely be nice addition.

@mimmo if they ever made an app, #2 #4 & #5 are pretty much must have otherwise app is useless

#3 I think most people would not bother with more than once (to make sure it worked) and #1 is something that while conveniant is not a huge deal breaker

@WearySky & @srlawren we all know the reason Koodo killed their app was the MASSIVE backlash they got from new version (go check the hatred from Jan 2017 onwards)

I always argued most of it was conspiracy nuts not understanding what app was doing but there was definately potential for abuse (as an example; the added ability to snap a picture of your credit card that people freaked out about)

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@xCameron94x wrote:

I was with Koodo and the only time I ever used the app was to track data, if I was away from my computer for an extended period of time. Perhaps people with Koodo don't know that there is an application of Koodo, or just dont bother to install it.

The app has been suggested many times, but part of me does not see an app coming. If PM made an app, I'd still stick to the website. It's just additional costs that I don't see them investing in, where there are still bugs on the main website/self serve that should be fixed first 

This ^^

Agreed completely @xCameron94x

mimmo
Personally I would have to decide what the purpose of the app is.
1) changing /modifying plans
2) checking data usage
3)checking referrals
4)checking balance
5) updating payment methods

Most of these other than check data or in my case, looking at how much I am saving thanks to rewards and smiling, are not done too often.

So the hassle of logging in to check I don't think is that big.

Maybe PM could add a function to their phone system press 7 to check your data usage, or use one one those special *# combinations that will send you a SMS your usage is.. but even that I have a data app which is accurAte enough. Currently x used and 60 days left.

srlawren

I think you could argue either way in the app vs. web site debate but I mostly agree with Kav.  And unfortunately this does not bode well for ever getting an app from PM.

That said, I think if they finally manage to make the self-serve site more mobile-friendly (a responsive re-design like the Community got earlier this year), then it would meet the needs of most.  

For those that REALLY want an app for their PM self-serve needs, you could always try the workaround I posted a while back.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

WearySky

@kav2001c wrote:

Because the world uses apps @WearySky

That is the entire reason that Apple / Android are killing Windows / Blackberry

*EVERYONE* wants apps these days

That was why I laughed at the statement

I was "the guy" who argued I don't understand the mad lemming rush to the app stores

I think there's a difference between "The world wants apps to do things that they do every day multiple times a day" (twitter/facebook/youtube/netflix/instagram/etc) and "The world wants apps to do every possible thing that they can do" (check data usage once or twice a month, etc).  No Facebook app on a platform would be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.  No Koodo app?  Much less of a dealbreaker.

Because the world uses apps @WearySky

That is the entire reason that Apple / Android are killing Windows / Blackberry

*EVERYONE* wants apps these days

That was why I laughed at the statement

I was "the guy" who argued I don't understand the mad lemming rush to the app stores

@WearySky wrote:

I could very easily believe it.  While most of us here are tech savvy, I'd wager that the "unwashed masses" are more likely to go to a website to check something, rather than downloading and using an app to do it.  Hell, even as a tech savvy user, I would still be more likely to use the website than an app, if given the option, for something like this that I only check once in a blue moon.  Why clutter up my app drawer with apps that I rarely use?

WearySky

@kav2001c wrote:

@clarkbrand "most people use the website"?

Lol that sounds so false

More like Koodo wants more people to use the website

I could very easily believe it.  While most of us here are tech savvy, I'd wager that the "unwashed masses" are more likely to go to a website to check something, rather than downloading and using an app to do it.  Hell, even as a tech savvy user, I would still be more likely to use the website than an app, if given the option, for something like this that I only check once in a blue moon.  Why clutter up my app drawer with apps that I rarely use?

clarkbrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I agree, in the end I am OK with just using the website. It's not the worst thing in the world.  It works and that's all that matters.  An app would just be added conveinence but I would prefer to pay lower prices.

the fact that koodo's app was shutdown does not bode well for PM getting an app.  I would assume a much smaller user base for PM, meaning a higher cost per user to develop the app.  something which in the end didnt workout for koodo.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@clarkbrand "most people use the website"?

Lol that sounds so false

More like Koodo wants more people to use the website

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This says something about the value of producing an app.  In Public Mobile's case, it is a matter of learning how to walk before trying to run.  It makes no sense to spread the resource thin by developing an app when the online portal continues to need major work.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

I was with Koodo and the only time I ever used the app was to track data, if I was away from my computer for an extended period of time. Perhaps people with Koodo don't know that there is an application of Koodo, or just dont bother to install it.

The app has been suggested many times, but part of me does not see an app coming. If PM made an app, I'd still stick to the website. It's just additional costs that I don't see them investing in, where there are still bugs on the main website/self serve that should be fixed first 

Need Help? Let's chat.