cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserted new activated and unlcoked sim but service/signal not available

nipunika
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated my sim card that I had purchased form Public Mobile recently. The sim card has been activated and the payment has been made. Even my phone has been unlocked from the sim lock from prior companies but there is no signal here with the sim card already inserted in the phone. I have just inserted my sim card. There is signal in this region in other people's phones. Can you help me with this situation here as I don't know if this new sim of mine is working or not.

21 REPLIES 21

nipunika

Hi @austinhuang

The issue has veen solved thanks. The network antenna chip in the mother board of my phone is broken. My sim card is working well and good in my friends phone. Thanks for your help. 

nipunika

@krazykiwi

Thanks 

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Possible situations, from more probable to the least probable:

• Bad unlock: Your provider (Bell, I presume?) did not properly unlock your phone.
  • Bad SIM: Your SIM's broken. Check your SIM in other people's unlocked phones before asking moderators. They're hella busy.
  • Bad phone: Your phone's just broken somehow. (But you used it before, no? So it shouldn't be broken.)

Sorry I couldn't help more. 

The best way to contact PM moderators is to send a private message.

Always include your name, phone number and 4 digit pin when contacting them privately.

Cheers and good luck

@nipunika wrote:

Hi @krazykiwi

Yes, it says that my phone is good and unlocked. I did not port my number. I got a new number from Public mobile. I did not want data so I went with build my own plan.

Ok, 

I recommend testing your sim in a phone that is unlocked. If you put it in a locked phone it should just ask for an unlock code. Also try your friends sim in your phone, locked or unlocked, to determine there is no issue with your phone. Also if you have a friend with a different carrier than what you were using prior to switching to PM try their Sim. This will tell you if your phone has been unlocked properly. In the meantime, if you haven't done so contact a Mod on here. They may be able to help. But it may take a day or so for themn to respond.

nipunika

Hi @krazykiwi

Yes, it says that my phone is good and unlocked. I did not port my number. I got a new number from Public mobile. I did not want data so I went with build my own plan.

@nipunika wrote:

@austinhuang

Hey,

I just checked. My sim card number is correct.

To summarize, 

You can log in to your account and it says that the phone is good and it is unlocked,

Did you port a number and if so at what point did you try porting?

Also, have you considered the $35 plan, unlimited Int Text, unlimited Canada wide calling and 1 gb data for what works out to be $105 + gst every 90 days?

nipunika

@austinhuang

Hey,

I just checked. My sim card number is correct.

nipunika

@krazykiwi 

Okay, I will try my friends sim then.

Yes I was asked for an unlock code when I first put my sim in. I put in the code and it said phone unlocked successfully. I didn't go anywhere to unlock it as I had the unlock code with me. I am paying 110 every 3 months. 

@nipunika wrote:

@Luddite Hi,

So there was a message to unlock my sim with the pervious carrier the moment I put in the public mobile sim for the first time. The sim card is installed correctly. There is no message when the phone is reboted however  in the settings of my phone under sim card status it says

network - nkown

network type - unkown

service state - out of service

romaing - not roaming

signal strength - -113 dBm 0 asu

mobile network state - disconnected

I use a samsung galaxy S7.

Will my phone get locked to a bell carrier if |I try my friends bell sim card on my phone?

No, It shouldn't get locked to Bell. So did you get asked for a code when you put the PM Sim in? I am getting the feeling it is still locked. Where did you go to unlock it?

On a separate note how much are you paying for your plan? 

nipunika

@Luddite Hi,

So there was a message to unlock my sim with the pervious carrier the moment I put in the public mobile sim for the first time. The sim card is installed correctly. There is no message when the phone is reboted however  in the settings of my phone under sim card status it says

network - nkown

network type - unkown

service state - out of service

romaing - not roaming

signal strength - -113 dBm 0 asu

mobile network state - disconnected

I use a samsung galaxy S7.

Will my phone get locked to a bell carrier if |I try my friends bell sim card on my phone?

nipunika

Hi @krazykiwi

Their phone is locked to Bell. I am stillt rying to see if I can find any other friend whose phone is not locked and I can use. I made my own plan. I have unlimited Canada wide talking and unlitmited international text messaging. No data plans. ANd nothing is working. Not even calls or messages. It keeps saying that service is not available. ;( 😞

austinhuang

You might have mistyped the SIM card number.

Self Serve => "Change sim card" under "My profile" box (not tab) => Re-type SIM card number

If that's not the case, consider the 2 replies above.

@nipunika wrote:

Hi @Luddite.

When I reboot my phone with the PM sim card, there is no message. 😞 

I use iPhones and so am not completely sure. However, I think no message at all is a bad sign for the phone/SIM connection. An unlocked phone with even an unactivate SIM will say: "Emergency Calls or Unregistered SIM". Are you sure the SIM is installed correctly? Does the phone work with a friend's Bell SIM installed?

Sorry can't help more.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@nipunika wrote:

@austinhuang

Hi Austin,

All of my friends use Bell carriers. So I am unable to test my sim card in their phones. My phone number is new and the service is not availalble even though the account shows that the sim is active and my phone is not locked to any carrier. Can you please help me with this situation here.

As long as they are not locked to Bell than you should be able to test your sim in their phones. 

Which plan do you have? Is nothing working, Text, call nor data, depending on your plan?

nipunika

@austinhuang

Hi Austin,

All of my friends use Bell carriers. So I am unable to test my sim card in their phones. My phone number is new and the service is not availalble even though the account shows that the sim is active and my phone is not locked to any carrier. Can you please help me with this situation here.

nipunika

Hi @Luddite.

When I reboot my phone with the PM sim card, there is no message. 😞 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@nipunika When you reboot the phone with the PM SIM card installed what message do you see?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

austinhuang

Your phone should work.

Onto the second question: Does your SIM work on another device?

nipunika

SM - G930W8

That's my model number for the phone. Can you please check the bands for me.

austinhuang
  • Is your phone compatible to the PM network? The IMEI checker gives false positives, so check if the bands of your model matches the bands that PM uses. We can check it for you if you provide the model.
  • Does your SIM work on your friends' phones?
Need Help? Let's chat.