cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an inactive "Moto Z2 Play" (previously freedom mobile). Will it work with Public Mobile?

frankbotos
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello there, I have an old "Moto Z2 Play" that I bought a few years back. I used it with Freedom Mobile for a couple of years, then ultimately had it deactivated. Now, I am considering ordering a SIM from Public Mobile, for use with the Moto Z2 Play. I am wondering, do I have to take any special steps like unlocking the phone?

6 REPLIES 6

@Shayaan wrote:

It depends on the variant of the Moto Z2 Play! But if you have the international,Chinese,North American or the Latham variant of the device then you have all the bands on your phone necessary for it to be compatible with Public Mobile!

Shayaan asked about getting it unlocked and was used at Freedom. That mean's it's a North American variant. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@frankbotos 

If you got the Moro Z2 Play after December 1 , 2017, it shouldn’t be locked. In Canada, it is illegal for Cell carriers to lock all phones if got it in Canada.

Shayaan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It depends on the variant of the Moto Z2 Play! But if you have the international,Chinese,North American or the Latham variant of the device then you have all the bands on your phone necessary for it to be compatible with Public Mobile!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@frankbotos 

do you have a account activate with Freedom Mobile now if yes you can do chat live with agent and the give you a unlocked code for free, or if you don't have any account with them just contact them the also have to give that unlocked code for free to you can used with public mobile.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@frankbotos   you got a PM SIM with you? Even before activation, you can try to put the PM SIM into it and see if it give you a message for a PIN or PUK right after boot up.  if so, it's locked.

Or, better way to check is to ask your friend a SIM with another provider (Rogers, Bell, etc,), put it in and see if it works

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It is compatible with PM.  I don't think Freedom would lock your phone but when you put in sim from PM you will know if it is locked.  If your phone is locked then you will need to contact Freedom.

Need Help? Let's chat.