cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from Sim Card to e-Sim

bshnth29
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

I've been using a physical SIM Card on my phone. I am changing my phone (same number), changing my subscription plan and want a e-Sim card. Need help please?

When I tried changing the subscription plan, it doesnt indicate it comes with a e-SIM (in my accout). 

Your urgent response is needed as I will be travelling soon. 

Thanks

Shanthi

14 REPLIES 14

bshnth29

Guess I have to test it out. I am getting SMS text with PM # on my work phone now. That's good news. And I am using Whatsapp for both #s. Just calls I need to test. 

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@bshnth29 It's certainly a good approach to start with, but assuming that Samsung's eSIM support is similar to Apple's (and I see no reason to assume it isn't), you can likely do something like have both lines ring if someone calls you, associate specific contacts with specific lines so that you automatically call out on the right number, and choose a line for your data to come from.  You will probably have to check with Samsung on that - I did a quick search and couldn't find a good reference page on it.

bshnth29

I think I will test it when I am out and need to use PM data. I think I can switch back and forth between my work # and PM # by changing the primary SIM #. Thank you

dwh1

@bshnth29 Assuming you just want to use your PM eSIM now, yes. If you want to do something more complex like having both a work and personal number active, you'd need to look up your phone vendor's documentation on how to set that up.  Sorry I can't help you with that - I have an iPhone.

bshnth29

Hi @dwh1 I have an android S22. Under SIM manager, i see eSim (with my PM #). Which I am assuming it is ready to use if I choose that eSim to be my primary SIM. Is this correct?

dwh1

@bshnth29 It will show on your phone in your Cellular/Mobile settings. For example, on an iPhone, you would see a Public Mobile eSIM listed under Settings/Cellular.  As for 'Ready to use", you'll see that you have service bars for it. If you don't have service, it will show no bars or "SOS" (meaning that you can call 911 if needed, but no other service will work).

bshnth29

How would i know if my eSim in installed correctly and ready to use?

bshnth29

Excellent.. thank you very much

@bshnth29 wrote:

one last question, once i have install the eSim on this unlocked phone with a different #.

@bshnth29 

If you installed the esim using the way mentioned, it will be with the same PM  number, not a different one

With esim, if you change phone, you have to do the same thing (download the app on the new phone and buy esim) except the system will know you have esim and will give you a $5 credit when you "buy" esim (ie, the rebuy is FREE)

bshnth29

one last question, once i have installed the eSim on this unlocked phone with a different #. If I choose to buy a brand new phone unlocked, can I use the same eSim or do i have to buy a new one? 

bshnth29

thank you very much for confirming. 

@bshnth29 

yes, you can use esim on this new phone with the PM number  Just download the app, login your PM account and buy esim from the Account page  (and once the esim is setup, your current PM physical sim will no longer work)

bshnth29

Thank you @softco for the speedy response. Another question. 

I have an unlocked phone with a different #. Can I use the esim with my PM phone # on this unlocked phone? 

When I travel, I was able to buy eSim with global data plan and used it on the unlocked phone. I'm thinking I can do the same locally as well. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bshnth29 

to get an esim on your new phone, you will need to buy the esim ($5) using the app on the new phone. (sorry, you still have to pay for the $5 even you change plan.  But if you don't want to pay extra,  you can keep using the physical sim card.  Just move the physical sim card from the old phone to the new phone)

To buy the eSIM, first, download the app on your new phone.  Click Account from the bottom, then click Purchase SIM Card and select eSIM.  Once it confirms your phone is eSIM compatible, click Pay $  and Install and following the prompt to complete and purchase and install eSIM on your device

After you are done with the esim, you can use the app to arrange for Change plan.  Since PM does not provide partial refund for early plan change, If you don't need the new data immediately, use Change on Renewal option instead of Change Now to avoid losing money

Need Help? Let's chat.