cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A texting app to replace Hangout

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
As the title says I would like to have some of your recommendations on some texting apps that can replace Hangout. The one that comes with android isn't really that good to me and I just don't like it . Hangout started notifications that they will stop supporting SMS so it is becoming useless for me . Let me know if you like a specific app and it's pros/cons.
I am running Samsung G S5 on Android 6.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I like Pulse. Fairly basic messaging app but I wanted to be able to message from any device I'm on, which it does. Seamlessly.

@TheOldVR, I was the same way, if it was already on my phone, use it 🙂

until i I got An Android using the hangouts app as default.  I couldn't change the way the messages looked, fonts, background, colours, size, etc.... I had to find something to assist me in that area, to accodate my vision.

At the moment, I'm using Textra.  I like it a lot.  Nothing to fancy, but the display is customizable (overly so I add), and works for me.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Acekiller wrote:

just wondering, what's the advantage of using non-stock sms apps?

@Acekiller great question!  As always, the answer is "it depends".  🙂  First of all, "the" stock sms app on your phone could be one of many, depending on who made your phone and whether they just include the Google offering or add their own SMS app like many sadly do.  And even if it's the Google app, it could be one of about 3 or 4 different apps (Google Messenger, Google Messenging, Hangouts, Android Messages, maybe others).  Or it could be Samsung's messaging app, OnePlus's messaging app, etc.

So, depending what app your phone came with, it may have a decent app that meets all your needs out of the box, or it may not.  Some typical things that the 3rd party apps might offer that your stock app might not have could include:

- Themes!  Many stock don't, and if you have an AMOLED screen or just prefer a black theme, most stock apps won't give you that.  (Every black pixel on an AMOLED screen saves you battery life, so it's a worthwhile little lifehack; don't bother for IPS/CLD, it actually uses MORE power for black than white or even colours).

- Customizable look and feel options

- Customizable group messaging behavior -- e.g. group message via MMS or else individual message each recipient via SMS

- etc etc. 

Again, some of the stock apps have some of these features so your mileage will always vary.  The [good] 3rd party guys know they need to keep adding features, options, and bug fixes in order to keep you from just using the stock app, so they tend to update fairly frequently.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

just wondering, what's the advantage of using non-stock sms apps?

Thank you every one for your suggestions, I will give Textra a try.

Facebook messanger seems to eat to mouch of my battery when I actually use it so I stopped using it,

@TheOldVR The stock app got glitchy and crashes all the time that's why I desactivated it

TheOldVR

Interesting thread.... I've always stuck to the default messaging app regardless of OS and phone.

It just worked better, with less bugs, and allowed me to have one less app on my phone.

Maybe I'm getting a bit boring with my app selection in my maturing years..... Smiley Tongue

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

May I suggest Yaata

The dev has been really good with feature requests and was really good when the Priv came out to make it work perfect with the physical keyboard. Not that you will need physical keyboard functionality but it's an example of his commitment.

Np thx @srlawren
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

srlawren

@Samianauman no, it's for Andorid.  @zhadj030 is running Android, so my recommendation was based on that.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren
Will try that does it work with iOS ?
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

srlawren

Highly recommend Textra SMS, like @canucks4life.  Very customizable, very clean interface.  Dual-SIM capable.  Just good.  

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I've been using Textra for years and has worked very well...developer also updates pretty regularly.

@Watoko
Same here I used to use contacts+
But then I got tired then start using fb messenger then hangout now I m on iPhone so I m using stock iMessage

Watoko

I used to use Contacts+ for their dialer and managing my contacts. Developed by the same team, they have Messages + SMS (link) which I really like from its simplistic interface.

I've always prefered "stock" messaging apps from google, so i used Google Messenger. I couldnt stand samsungs deafult messenger when i had my first samsung phone. Howver some SMS apps allow you to pair it with your computer, but i found those apps tend to be a bit slower than others that dont pair with the computer. Mysms is an example of one that you can use an extension from chrome browser i believe 

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Try Facebook messenger you can use that as SMS messenger as well it's nice because you will get Facebook messenges and regular at same place to setup as default SMS

Open messenger then go to setting click on SMS then turn on default SMS app

But here's some more

SMS apps for you to choose from!
Chomp SMS.
EvolveSMS.
GO SMS Pro.
Handcent Next SMS.
Hoverchat.
Google Messenger.
QKSMS.
Signal Private Messenger.

Google messenger also have good review
Here's more to check details about SMS apps
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/text-better-alternative-sms-apps-android/
Need Help? Let's chat.