cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo is now offering annual prepaid options

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Koodo now has yearly (360 day) prepaid options, and it's available to not only new activations but also existing prepaid users!  Not sure if this is more trying to nudge users over or to counter Freedom Mobile's annual prepaid Either way, you get 2 months "free" which is equivalent to a 20% discount, but you pony up for the year in advance and there are no refunds or credits for changing out of a 360 plan early.

What's interesting is that the entire year's data allowance is added to the account at once.  Data booster add-on's still work as per usual.  With one lump sum of data, I can see people blowing through this faster than when it's done monthly.   Then one is stuck buying expensive $30/1GB boosters.  Perhaps this is all part of the master plan!? 🤔

New users can activate their SIM via the main page:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans

More details can be found in their FAQ:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/360-day-plan-faqs

Existing Koodo prepaid customers can change their base plan to the 360 annual plan by choosing the appropriate new base plan:

koodo360.jpg

360baseplans.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

$33.33 for 5GB isn't too bad if you're okay with locking yourself for one year. These plans kind of remind me of Mint Mobile in the US.

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dabr wrote:

@Kristowhy   $250/yr for 12GB+unlimited calling/texting is actually quite decent price.  For anyone not on the old rewards, I think the Koodo plans might be better value.

@dabr yes you are right and I think they intentionally left out the $15 plans from having this 360 annual prepaid capability to try and nudge people to pay a bit more.  $250/yr works out to about $20.83/month with 1GB/month (or less if you go through it faster)

I dunno.  With VoLTE around the corner and the carriers madly segmenting with "3g" vs "4g" I would hate to lock into a 12 month prepaid plan and then something better comes along.  Imagine if Telus decides to make VoLTE available to those with "4g" plans first.  Anything is possible! 😉

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Nothing to see here, I am not going anywhere.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Average $20.83 and 1gb per 30 days. Still more than I would rather spend. But yes less than the $25 plan here.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Kristowhy   $250/yr for 12GB+unlimited calling/texting is actually quite decent price.  For anyone not on the old rewards, I think the Koodo plans might be better value.

Need Help? Let's chat.