cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find what Cell / Internet providers are in my area?

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Here is the link to find out what ISP and Mobile Providers are available in your area, the big 3 Mobile and big 6 ISP are blocking out the local small ISP's that may have a better deal than other ISP's do.

https://ised-isde.canada.ca/app/scr/sittibc/web/bbmap?lang=eng#!/map

Here is it in action for example using it in Hamilton Ontario:

1. Zoom in

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 4.12.17 PM.png 

2. Click on where your house should be *The tool has honeycomb grids so it is in an area* I will be using Barnstown for this example:

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 4.15.43 PM.png

3. Then scroll down till you see "ISP in this area"

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 4.15.58 PM.png

DSL is landline internet - upwards of 250mbps speeds, fixed wireless is sort of using your phone as a hotspot but by an actual ISP and modem, Mobile is just your normal phone service (MVNO's aren't shown,) Fiber to the home is the 100% future proof tech for internet - it can get speeds of up to 100gbps (100,000mbps,) Coaxial cable is up to 1gbps and uses copper, and satellite is like Starlink or in some cases - Xplore, in some regions with those two providers - speeds can get high as 500mbps and latency is up to 10-100ms!

3 REPLIES 3

fixin

@hTideGnow - Update - they said no to me - so I will be retiring this account and moving on to @fixin1 ! They decided to allow a name change to mainly mimic my current username!

Hope to see you there!

fixin

@hTideGnow - CS_Agent said that they can try and see if changing the godoflife20 email via their system to a different address and keeping my account the same so they can put fixin in My Account.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

thanks @fixin .. you still use your old account to post??

Need Help? Let's chat.