cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropped calls

Kerri
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello. I've been with public mobile over a year and have had great reception. I have an iPhone 7 plus running IOS12.2 but though I have 3 out of 4 reception bars, I drop calls no matter my location.  I can be on the phone for 15 minutes or an hour or more, it does not matter, the calls drop. thanks for any  help you can provide.

19 REPLIES 19

@slash407 wrote:

seem's like its ur phone, try disbaling wifi/data when ur talking, might help. Also put ur phone on auto for mobile networks if it isnt there yet through settings/mobile networks

I'm not sure how having a data connection would make calls drop, although I guess anything is possible if the phone's software is programmmed poorly.

Kerri

thanks, the network is set to automatic, i"ve disabled wifi assist as well and ma tesitng now.

@Kerri wrote:

Hello. Yes, I am using wifi assist as I now have data iwth this plan and I could disble it to rule this out. thanks.

@Kerri, I would recommend you keep Wifi Assist off.  It actually uses your cellular data when your WifI is slow, trying to boost your signal.  It's good on an unlimited data package but eats your data on capped data buckets.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kerri wrote:

Hello. I contacted Apple who informed me after a diagnostic test that only one call was dropped from the phone itself, the others have been either carrier related or the other peple. however, I have also corresponded with other iPhone users who have upgraded to 12.2 and do not have this issue.

Have you tried the tips in the previous several posts?
Have you tried the SIM in another phone; does the problem still occur?

If you've tried all of that, and nothing works, you should send a private message (if you have't already) to the moderators.  Response time is between a few hours up to 48 hours.

Kerri

Hello. I contacted Apple who informed me after a diagnostic test that only one call was dropped from the phone itself, the others have been either carrier related or the other peple. however, I have also corresponded with other iPhone users who have upgraded to 12.2 and do not have this issue.

Kerri

Hello. Yes, I am using wifi assist as I now have data iwth this plan and I could disble it to rule this out. thanks.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Some good suggestions so far!  Since this is on an iPhone, I'm going to tag @CalgaryBen to see if he's got any additional ideas.  Thanks Ben!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Another tip I've used in the past, clean the contacts on the sim with a pencil eraser.

I've done this with multiple electrical connections inside computers while in my previous life as an IT Guy...  it works miracles to eliminate problems.  

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri 

If the SIM card has any play in your phone, you could try a piece of tape over the SIM to make sure its snug.

https://www.wired.com/2008/02/can-scotch-tape/

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Kerri wrote:

Hello. I've been with public mobile over a year and have had great reception. I have an iPhone 7 plus running IOS12.2 but though I have 3 out of 4 reception bars, I drop calls no matter my location.  I can be on the phone for 15 minutes or an hour or more, it does not matter, the calls drop. thanks for any  help you can provide.

Lots of great tips so far. Are you using WIFI assist? I found that my phone (iPhone 7 plus) was disconnecting calls I was on frequently. Each time I looked at my device, it had lost the WIFI assist icon. I also found that it had increased lately, and was quite solid before.

Ever since I turned off the WIFI assist, things have been better.

Just a thought.

Good luck

If this doesn't happen in a  different phone,you have found the problem. Of it happens in other phones too, contact yje moderators to see if something wrong with account.

Pizzaeh

@Kerri wrote:

@Pizzaeh, yes, it is the same phone that has been on public mobile for the past year and I will try and find someone else I can switch with for a while.

That's good, to help figure out whether it's the phone or service, we need to try and replicate the problem in another device.  

Your phone may look fine, but there could be problems that we can't see internally or with the software.  

@Kerri wrote:

@RobertQc, as I have stated, I've never had issues before so I know public mobile which runs on Telus netowrk is a top quality netowrk. The only change has been an upgrade to IOS12.2 but none of my other friends running this latest have encountered this issue. the phone has not been dropped at all either.

@KerriThe problem with electrical devices and software is there are literally billions of things that can wrong without any error of the user. One single bit that is unreadable, a transistor that is not funcaitoning properly (billions of them in your phone) It is difficult to diagnose dropped calls because its an intermediate issue. The best way to be able to diagnose something like this is to have extra equipment to try the service on.

Kerri

@Pizzaeh, yes, it is the same phone that has been on public mobile for the past year and I will try and find someone else I can switch with for a while.

Pizzaeh

@Kerri wrote:

@Kerri is it the same phone you've used on Public Mobile for the past year? It could be a phone issue, so to help determine that, as @RobertQc suggests, putting your SIM card in another phone will help.

Kerri

@RobertQc, as I have stated, I've never had issues before so I know public mobile which runs on Telus netowrk is a top quality netowrk. The only change has been an upgrade to IOS12.2 but none of my other friends running this latest have encountered this issue. the phone has not been dropped at all either.

@Kerri wrote:

Hello. I live with all public mobile customers and they are not having this issue, only this iPhone but apple iinformed me that I shold contact the carier. how woudl I know if the sim is defective?

@Kerri  I would start off by something silly like while I was on the phone with your knuckle, bump the phone a few times. Like you are knocking on it, Then shake the phone up and down, side to side. If there was something lose inside that might trigger the call to be dropped.

Also check the network signal while you are on the phone, you might see a high signal when you are on LTE but when you switch to a call it doesn';t have VOLTE so goes down to 3G. If you have another person that has a sim you could switch with them and switch phones for a bit.

Kerri

Hello. I live with all public mobile customers and they are not having this issue, only this iPhone but apple iinformed me that I shold contact the carier. how woudl I know if the sim is defective?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Kerri wrote:

@Kerri  Have you tried putting your sim in another phone, or using a different sim in your phone? Then you could rules out network vs hardware.

Public mobile runs on bell/telus and its a top quality network. No offense, but its much much more likely a problem with your sim/phone vs the network.

Dropping a phone, changes in temperature, solder point failure, software bugs, internal antenna failures, sim pin connections etc there are a million different problems that can develop with a phone.

Also, there is a 2? Hour limit to phone calls on every network, there is no warning but it will just drop you.

Need Help? Let's chat.