cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us add-on review

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just wanted to share my experience with the USA add-on, and it was pretty good.

To start I added funds before leaving on my trip so that I could activate by phone when needed as opposed to instantly.  (Probably a not needed step but wanted to avoid any possible issues)

Got the 10 day talk data and 250 mg plan.

Have to say this was not enough data for a 10 day trip.  I conserved data by downloading offline Google maps and switching data only when needed.  Could have easily used 500-750 mb.

A second frugal thing I did since we were gone for 14 days was to get talk text and data for myself on day 1 and talk only on day 4 for my wife.  That way we overlapped for the majority of time,  and on the last portion of our trip when visiting family I had no service and she did.

I also enabled call forwarding from my phone to my wife's while in the USA.

My phone still has service so looks like I didn't run into the us "addon expiring my plan" issue.

It would be nice to some additional combined  us add-on plans with more data or even have a us plan picker similar to the regular plans, ie pick 5,10,15 days pick talk, and/or text and  pick data quantity.

Will search the public lab if it had been suggested.

Hope some of these ideas can help someone traveling to the USA.

Happy travels. 

8 REPLIES 8

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am is it HERE WeGo, or Here Maps that you recommend?

@MEU_21 is this the right one you mentioned?  MapFactor GPS Navigation Maps

It is Here WeGo.  It used the simply be called here.  The name changed along the way.  I am still stuck with referring to the original name.  Google offline download is really clunky.  Here allows you to download larger areas, in fact you can download the entire world if you have the storage space. 

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

Yes. I have done extensive reasearch, specifically on off-line GPS Navigator apps, and this is the best overall globally. There are some apps are slightly better for a specific region, but not worth it for me to install 3-4 different apps.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good thread @mimmo

I also wish they would revamp their US offerings. 

There is a definite need for change.

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree with will13am. I personally use the Mapfactor Navigator app (android) with OSM maps that regularly update - works well offline with the updated maps.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Welcome back, hope the trip was good.  Thanks for sharing how to best to add funds and order the addon while on the road.  Customers would not have to do all these fancy steps if only Public Mobile would step up their game and fix the add on purchasing system to the way it should perform for time sensitive addons.

If you are trying to conserve data, google maps is pretty bad for that these days.  On my trip, I was burning on average 80 Mbtyes/day having google tell me directions to everywhere.  I suggest installing here maps because it has a much nicer offline capability. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mimmo, thanks for sharing.The no service after expiry wasn't an issue after a US addon it was that you wouldn't receive texts.  I could send and everything I just wasn't receiving any.  So something to keep your eyes on.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yup, there is definitely a need to improve US roaming add-ons. They haven't done anything since the launch almost a year ago. There are many ideas posted and looked at, but sadly, it seems no interest from Telus/PM to change anything atm.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience. 

Need Help? Let's chat.