cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text roaming in US is not working

Hhy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I bought text roaming plane plan to be in touch with my work. I was surprised it's not working.
I've only 3 days trip to the state, I already lost 30% of my service. Please advise ASAP
9 REPLIES 9

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@srlawren wrote:

@Rockdaddy22 good to know.  I thought there was config required.  

No, it just works 🙂

srlawren

@Rockdaddy22 good to know.  I thought there was config required.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22

You shouldn’t have to do anything. It’ll revert to sms automatically when you don’t have data. 

srlawren

@shanmar on an iPhone, things are *slightly* more complicated.  It depends how you have iMessage configured.  Since you didn't get US Roaming data, you will need to make sure you turn OFF data delivey and MMS* delivery of iMessages, and turn ON SMS delivery only.  I don't have an iPhone nor the iOS expertise to walk you through this process, but I'm pretty sure @Luddite@Rockdaddy22 or @jeffster1970 could help.  🙂

* note for MMS:  within Canada, you do NOT need a data plan in order to be able to send or receive MMS, you only need data enabled on your phone.  However, this is not the case while in the USA.  There is a note on the add-on purchasing page that points this out.  It reads:

"U.S. Roaming MMS service (picture or video) requires both SMS and data service to be enabled and will consume data if used. If you choose SMS service only, MMS will not be enabled."  [bold emphasis added by me.]

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shanmar

You have posted to a very old thread. In the future, start your own thread under the appropriate category and it will get the exposure and answer to your questions you're looking for.

Firstly, can you see the "US 10-day text" add-on when you log into self-serve?  Remember it's a two step process of adding funds, then going back and actually purchasing the add-on from your available funds.  You can do this through the self-serve portal or by calling 1-855-4PUBLIC while in the states (though I'm not sure if the call will be permitted or not since you don't have calling).

For just a texting US Add-on, you need to ensure that you are connected to either of PM's two partner networks - AT&T or T-Mobile.  You may have to manually search and select the network you want.  Since you don't have data with your plan, it's not going to hurt for you to ensure that you have data roaming turned on.  Make sure to do a restart of your iPhone.

If this all looks right but is still not working, I would get in touch with the moderator team by sending them a private message.  Use this link: @CS_Agent, provide them with your name, account number and an explanation of your issue and they'll be sure to get back to you and get your add-on working.

shanmar

I’m also having this problem. I’m in the US, and I purchased the 10 day text plan. I am connected to T-Mobile, but I can’t send texts. Can someone let me know the exact settings for Cellular Data on an iPhone 6? Should Cellular Data be on or off? I didn’t purchase data, just a texting plan. Thank you!

Hhy
It is working now
I tried everything so I don't know the solution
I restarted the device
I chooses AT&T manually
I turned on mobile data roaming

Hhy
Yes it is there in self service & network is AT&T
And I restarted I phone 6

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Is it active in your self-serve account? If yes, can you see if your phone is able to search available AT&T/T-Mobile networks?

Need Help? Let's chat.