cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card not valid

quikbudgie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I just purchsed a new sim card and $40.00 plan from Walmart. It was activated in store. My phone says otherwise. I get the message that it is not activated nor valid. I was told by the staff that this happens when phones are locked and I will need to unlock it. Unfortunately I bought the phone new and unlocked. Does anyone have a solution.

Cheers

15 REPLIES 15

quikbudgie

I had thought about that. Didn’t think I could get past paying for it a second time. I am going back to Walmart in the morning to see what they can do

cdgunder

Hi @quikbudgie,

Maybe the SIM wasn't activated in the first place at Walmart. Have you tried going to the PM home page and activateing the SIM and your account yourself?

Just spit-balling here! Good luck!

quikbudgie

I have sent a message to the moderators. I hope they can shed some light on the subject. I haven't received any correspondence from them. So maybe the thing wasn't processed properly at the Walmart end.

anya
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@quikbudgie An easy way to check if your phone is unlocked is to walk into any wireless provider store and say you need to check if your phone is unlocked before you shop for a provider. They will lend you a SIM to test. I’ve done it at Wind a few times. 

anya
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@quikbudgie wrote:

How do we get a moderator involved? I agree that this is a painful way of resolving issues.

Hi @quikbudgie if you have a friend with an unlocked phone it would be worth testing the SIM in that. Also are you able to log into your self-serve account and check that the SIM has indeed been activated correctly?

To get a moderator involved, send them a private message and explain the situation:

In your message to them include your phone number, account number and PIN in order to speed up the identification process. 

If you don’t remember your PIN, check if it is still in your text history. It is texted it to you when you first set up the account. You can also provide any 3 of the following instead of your PIN: Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount.

• Community Moderators are available from Monday to Friday 9am (EDT) to 9pm (EDT) and Saturday, and Sunday from 9am (EDT) to 7:30pm (EDT)
  • Response times are usually between 1 - 3 hours, but in peak periods, could be as much as 48 hours.

quikbudgie

How do we get a moderator involved? I agree that this is a painful way of resolving issues.

quikbudgie

Sorry 3G is good

Anonymous
Not applicable

@quikbudgie, If there is no support for 3G, then I don't think voice will work.

B_Muller

@quikbudgie wrote:

Hi. I just purchsed a new sim card and $40.00 plan from Walmart. It was activated in store. My phone says otherwise. I get the message that it is not activated nor valid. I was told by the staff that this happens when phones are locked and I will need to unlock it. Unfortunately I bought the phone new and unlocked. Does anyone have a solution.

Cheers

Few things you can try:

1) To rule out if your phone is locked - insert another NON PM SIM and if it works, your phone is NOT locked, go to 2)

2) Get Walmart to issue you another PM SIM and try again, and if it still doesn't work, go to

3)

3) Either ditch PM or prepare to spend countless emails to the Moderator/s and I think they are most probably can help you with your A/C and NOT hardware/technical issues!

Talking about the subject of contacting Moderator/s, a simple search will reveal that 70 - 80% of the issues here needed to contact/private message the Moderator/s and I don't understand why the heck is Public Mobile NOT creating a "Secured" message area (just like Banks) in the self-Serve My Account portal? In this way Moderator/s will know for sure those issues are from genuine customers (because you'll need to be a customer in order to login your account with authentication etc) rather than seeing repetitive posts on forums..." Use this link to contact moderator with your name/PIN etc....".

I started my career as a programmer and retired as a MIS manager and I've a strong feeling that Telus is using Public Mobile as a test bed for something with half-baked secondary school kids. Telus needs to get grads from Waterloo in their MIS dept, lol, however I need to give credit to Public Mobile for not using call centers in the Philippines or wherever? (Telus is another story, LOL)

quikbudgie

I just checked and by all accounts it should be ok on the 4G network

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Since he is from Australia, his iPhone 6 model numbers are either A1524 or A1586. Both are compatible with Public Mobile network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@quikbudgie, Unfortunately, the IMEI check is not foolproof.  You would need to check compatibility using a site like willMyPhoneWork.net, or  frequencycheck.com .

quikbudgie

It is an iphone 6. I have just arrived in Canada from Australia. I did the imei number check. It is supposed to be supprted here.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@quikbudgie

What is the make and model of your phone?

Where and when did you purchased your phone?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What phone are you using? Some phones are sold unlocked but lock to the first carrier (ie Samsung phones from costco)

Can you try your sim in a different phone? That isolates account or sim issues vs hardware issues.

Need Help? Let's chat.