cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate of Data Usage

Distinctly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Public Mobile.  I just switched three phone accounts over, and I logged into my PM account to notice that it was already showing almost 6MB of cellular data usage.  This isn't much data, and I'm not really concerned; however, I signed up for a 500MB data plan (per month), I'm on wifi, and I haven't actively used any cellular data.  My phone has used 1/5 of this amount for system services since inserting the SIM card, and no other cellular data has been used.

Can anyone tell me if they've noticed discrepancies between what your phone and your PM account page is showing?

Again, I'm not concerned at this point, but if the ratio of actual use to reported PM use stays the same, I'll run out of data at 20% of actual usage.

Thanks in advance!

D

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@marsbar that's normal; the usage history page only updates once a day for data usage.  However, if you look at the My Data and Add-Ons section of the Overview page, that figure is updated near-real-time.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've been noticing a 1-day lag between waht my phone will say vs what Public Mobile will say on the self-serve page but it does reconcile out eventually.

Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree with Mimmo. 

For the first day or two after activating or plan renewals, the usage fluctuations can be confusing. It definitely evens out; however I have definitely noticed it’s accurate. Even going through my phone and adding up all the current totals of listed apps, and system services, matching with its total, and then comparing to PM’s logging. All very accurate. 

Just make sure that all background data is off, and make sure your data doesn’t automatically connect whenever WiFi has low connectivity! 

Distinctly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just an update for anyone who may be curious.

Today, my PM account data usage shows 0.264MB.  Very curious.

D

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I find it is difficult these days to keep my phone using 0 cellular data without turning off data completely. On android, there is a data saver option which limits background data usage, and on older android versions you can turn off sync with the power bar widget, but still there is some usage from the system.

So, 6mb is likely from background syncing services (email, calendar, contacts, photos, etc...).

I prefer My Data Manager for keeping track of the 90 day period, and have found I usually have more data left than it tells me.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

TBH, 6 Mbytes of data these days isn't much.  Rest assured the data meter showing in the account is accurate even though we may not always agree with it.  Like a scale at the grocery store, it is subject to various checks and balances to make sure we get what we pay for.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have noticed sometimes just at the beggining of a data cycle there is some discrepancy but it averages out over time.

Install my data manager or data witness pm to track your data.

If you were just setting up your phone (from factory) the phone might use data before the WiFi kicks in.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Just be sure you have no unwanted apps running in the backround, or updating automatically. If it's an iPhone trun off wifi assist.

Are you on 30 or 90 day plans? Data allowance is for the whole period.

Others who have checked carefully find that PM's data measurement is accurate. But you might be more comfortable using a app to montir your usage for a bit.

For better advice what is make/model of your phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.