cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number is recognized as United States

Murphcrud
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Guys,

I have been receiving phone calls from friends and relatives in Saskatoon, but my called ID shows that they are coming the U.S..  The phone numbers and area code is always correct.  This occurs MOST of the time with various numbers from Saskatoon.

What and where is the glitch??  Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

Anyone in your directory should pull up that info rather than the generic USA info. This seems like a problem that would be fixed almost instantly. I cant help wondering is it is that it should say “North America” rather than “United States” as a generic default. Maybe all unassigned future area codes have a “United States” default until the proper State/Province gets tagged to it and somehow something screwed up and 306 dropped back to the default “United States”. Most countries have their own Country Code but Canada and the USA share country code “1”. Since the US has the largest number of Area Codes within Country Code 1 by far, “United States” would be logical default though North America would make much more sense.

AE_Collector

Murphcrud

Thank you.  That clarifies the reason completely.

@Murphcrud wrote:

I still would like to correct the annoyance whether it is a PM issue or not.

The only way (I could find) to correct this annoyance, is to add family and friend numbers to your Contacts. See if that helps...let us know.

If you're using an Apple product...looks like this might be a bug after updating to 13.4...but others have commented it's an Android thing too.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Murphcrud wrote:

have a look at this info...

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/ios-13-4-bug-saskatchewan-306-area-code-united-states/

That article would seem to confirm that it is device software issue. On my Android phone, I've also seen it say United States for some calls from non-Public Mobile customers.

@Murphcrud wrote:

have a look at this info...

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/ios-13-4-bug-saskatchewan-306-area-code-united-states/

Murphcrud

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Murphcrud  I really don't think its a PM problem. Your phone works properly, you can make and receive calls. Stay safe. 

Murphcrud

The issue has just cropped up in the past 4 months from calls originating from cell phones.  Cosmetic as it is, is there a solution how it can be corrected?

This isn't a Public Mobile issue. Some landline providers assign a geographic location to phone numbers. Some cell phones also do this, but it's the software on the device doing it and it'a based on a database provided by a company such as Google. The databases at these companies have incorrect information.  The good news is how this is purely cosmetic.

Need Help? Let's chat.