cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My best download speed is 3.80mbps is that good or bad?

raisen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

ping 68 upload 0.51mbps

15 REPLIES 15

I remember that for the longest time that speedtest.net would consistently give me results that were litterally impossible.  It used to always give me results that were higher than the actual DSL sync rate.  I have no idea if they ever fixed that, but that was my past experience years ago.  Because of that, I've always thought of the site as overestimating the speeds (whether right or wrongly).

However, what I will say is that speedtest.net is so commonly used, that it's pretty much a standard now. Due to that, it's the easiest way to compare.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@Effort wrote:

@Zhuoyu wrote:

For anyone who are interested in testing the speed: 

www.speedtest.net/

Disagree. https://testmy.net/ is more accurate.

@Effort how so?  speedtest.net (and the Ookla app on my phone) both test out to nearly exactly what my Shaw home internet speed is spec'd at (slightly faster than spec'd) and that is consistnet across a few different speed plans I've had over the past couple of years.  I just tried testmy.net and it came in at about half what I should be getting according to my package.  Why is it considered more reliable?

speedtest.net is multithreaded test, ie you're not just connecting to the server linearly. You're routed multiple times and makes your connection look better than it should be. This is more noticable when your connection is very instable yet your speedtest shows up as normal such as today where I was in need of a modem reboot.

testmy.net can be both a linear or multithreaded test to your preference. By default, you're routed once to the server you specify, that's it. If your internet sucks, it'll tell you your internet sucks.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Effort wrote:

@Zhuoyu wrote:

www.speedtest.net/

@Effort how so?  speedtest.net (and the Ookla app on my phone) both test out to nearly exactly what my Shaw home internet speed is spec'd at (slightly faster than spec'd) and that is consistnet across a few different speed plans I've had over the past couple of years.  I just tried testmy.net and it came in at about half what I should be getting according to my package.  Why is it considered more reliable?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@raisen wrote:

My old LG-E617g and it has only GSM/ WCDMA so I'm happy it's working ok. Even tried a Acer M220 and got HSPA+ so all the comment were very helpful. Only just signed up for 3g so still learning to see if I like it. Thanks everyone.

For the plans with 3g speed at Public Mobile, the 3Mbps speed limit is supposedly limited to only when you are connected to the LTE network.  When connected to the HSPA+ network, speeds are reportedly capable of much faster (although this is not advertised and possibly an oversight by Public Mobile that has never been corrected).

I looked up the manufacturer's info on  this phone at https://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-E617G , and it says there that your phone is only HSDPA speed capable, meaning only a maximum theoretical speed of 7.2Mbps.  For a phone released sometime around 2012, that 7.2Mbps maximum is a bottleneck for you (many HSPA+ phones around that era had a max of 42Mbps).  With your current phone, you're not going to get much better speeds than you've already seen.  A new phone MIGHT get you some better speeds when connected to a HSPA-type network, but that isn't guaranteed.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

So 3G is dogsh1t? Lol stop bashing it 

Effort

@Zhuoyu wrote:

www.speedtest.net/

Zhuoyu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

www.speedtest.net/

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

This is enough for typical use.  Unless you download big file, then do those at home with wifi.

raisen

My old LG-E617g and it has only GSM/ WCDMA so I'm happy it's working ok. Even tried a Acer M220 and got HSPA+ so all the comment were very helpful. Only just signed up for 3g so still learning to see if I like it. Thanks everyone.

Effort

Is your phone set to automatically use 4G if available? If so then that is your bandwidth cap and ideal if you're on the "3G" plan. What I might suggest is to try disabling that option and force your phone to connect via 3G. I personally get way faster speeds this way and my connection shows up as HSPA+.

luke11992

Technically that's even better than advertised for the 3g plans. PM says "Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps". 

Whereas the for their LTE plans: "manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps".

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@raisen wrote:

Thanks little sluggish but most web pages load ok but downloads to get apps from the play store is slow

@raisen

Usually, people do not use mobile data to download app.

Depending on your plan, watch your mobile data usage.

raisen

Thanks little sluggish but most web pages load ok but downloads to get apps from the play store is slow

mynamejc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Upload might be a bit low, but if you're on the "3G" plan connected to LTE then it's normal.  It's not "good" by today's standards, but definitely usable and it's what you're paying for.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Perfect for 3G plan.  The real test is not in the numbers but typical usage.  Does it feel sluggish?  If not, then no worries.

Need Help? Let's chat.