cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested in Koodo offer, but do not want to port out of Public Mobile.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As you know, Koodo is offering nice offers to entice Public Mobile customers to switch.  I could use the Koodo offer, but I also have use for Public Mobile.  The rewards and plan flexability make it pretty much impossible to switch.   Is there also a way to get the Koodo plan without cancelling the Public Mobile, and losing all that plan's earned benefits?

16 REPLIES 16

@cellphonesaver wrote:

If they make the same money from PM account and Koodo plan why it's more valuable for them ? The offer the same price while switching 

On koodo there is a possibility of overage charges or add-on/feature/phone sales. This can generate more $$$ then customers staying on PM. 

cellphonesaver
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If they make the same money from PM account and Koodo plan why it's more valuable for them ? The offer the same price while switching 

bridonca

If Koodo had the advantages Public Mobile has, it would be an easier switch.  However, with Public Mobile, I have got a lot of rewards here now.  I can easily switch down to a lower cost plan and my bill would be zero.  So there is no way I am giving up this Public Mobile account!

When I am buying a phone, I am always concerned with the total price.  With Koodo, a $360 phone is probably going to cost me closer to $500 all in, if you account for the fees, taxes, and contract obligation.  If it is a good enough phone, it is worth it to me.   Usually. the vendor throws in $200 to $300 in gift cards or store credit to sweeten the deal even more.   The only reason I do not stay with Koodo is that their posted plans are unbelievably awful!   I stay with Koodo as long as I am legally obligated to do so because of it. 

This process makes me wonder what Rogers and Bell do with Chatr and Lucky.  Do they offer better transfer packages to their subscribers to get onto Fido or Virgin?

For me, there is no desire to switch to those providers, as the prices are inflated, and the bonuses available are meant for those who live or visit major centres that have the fancy shops and other gifts that mean nothing to a fellow who lives in a mid-sized city with 3 Starbucks nowhere near any place he goes regularly.

I know the Bell service is the same as Telus, but the extras that entice, are useless unless you can access them.

Theres really nothing flashy about the Telus owned brands, other than the quality of the services, and the lack of zones.  Which is the better offer in my opinion.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cellphonesaver  an account on koodo is more valuable to telus than an account on PM.

its a great promtion tool  for PM

they are now also  getting people to switch from competotors  to PM with the hopes to moving to koodo. and this way they are not really competing /undercutting fido and virgin as they are migration offers.  

cellphonesaver

I'm very curious why Telus is doing this. First they run multiple promos for PM to hook you up and then they send you texts to switch to Koodo. 

I don't get the logic, do you?

Considering that it's the same company  

mimmo

@bridonca shopping in stores there is an additional $30 activation fee not found online.

i believe you need to port a number to  be able to take advantage of the migration offer so you would lose your PM line, especially if you do it in store.

why not just migrate your current account and get a new account with  the $10 pm plan as your emergincy line?

mimmo

@Mike40999  the offere are only valid to those who receive teh offers voa text message.  best advice it have your friends switch to PM and hoppe they receive a migration offer.

Mike40999

Can you switch to Koodo if you just sign to public MOBILE ? My friend wondering if they can switch over to Koodo.

bridonca

I will see what luck I will have at the Mobile Shop. Waiting for a tax free sale, so I can get an LG G7.  Was going to put the Koodo account into a $15 seasonal hold for 3 months to fulfill the obligations of the contract, but the latest Public Mobile switch deals would entice me to stay with Koodo longer than 90 days. 

I will not give up my Public Mobile account though.  I can repurpose the account for what I originally intended it for, an emergency phone that stays in the glove compartment in the car, if I get the Koodo plan.  I wish there was a way for Public Mobile to make it easier to keep the account though. 

mimmo

@guinness22 wrote:

I am on old pm plan with call centre can I get the koodo offer . 35 dollars 5 GB 

No you can't. 

the offer is open to people who receive the text message. To my knowledge sofar it is fall ,2016 plans and 4.5gb 3g plans, not sure what other plans if any.

guinness22

I am on old pm plan with call centre can I get the koodo offer . 35 dollars 5 GB 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bridonca you have the options to port or keep PM, you have both world Cat Happy I know you Heart PM

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bridonca you have the options to port or keep PM, you have both world Cat Happy I know you Heart

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Well you can technically not port out of PM for as long as you want, but then you would need to keep both lines active. You cannot port your number on koodo and take the benefits PM offers. You will have to give up one or the other. 

@bridonca wrote:

As you know, Koodo is offering nice offers to entice Public Mobile customers to switch.  I could use the Koodo offer, but I also have use for Public Mobile.  The rewards and plan flexability make it pretty much impossible to switch.   Is there also a way to get the Koodo plan without cancelling the Public Mobile, and losing all that plan's earned benefits?

At least when ordering online, customers are given an option to havr the new account set up with a new phone number.  The Koodo online store asks you what you want to do phone-number wise.

Sometimes, when there is a hiccup during activation, there have been a few reports of customer service refusing to manually activate the Koodo sim card unless you port your number to them, but this isn't the norm.

People have also ran into this resistance at some retail locations.

I would say, that at least in the past for these types of migaration offers, customers usually did not have to port the phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.