cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data limit question

Myriad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got a message today that said I was down to my last 300MB of my 6GB limit. I have only used 734MB of data this month (see attached) and my next payment is June 10 so does my data limit roll over on that date?Phone's June data usagePhone's June data usage

12 REPLIES 12

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Better set the Windows machine to metered date to avoid the frequent updates while tethering. Probably also set it to not download updates automatically.

If you depend on you phone APK to check, you may find all your data gone in a day.

Hurrah for Win 10 always being up to date!

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Myriad Maybe I missed it in the posts somewhere, but try a different data tracker. I use Data Witness. My Data Manager is a good one too  They allow you to set 30 day cycles (or 90). They are very very reliable and report usage very close to the PM website.

GC 

Myriad

I agree. Setting data limits on the tether is probably a good idea.

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, I have seen multi-gigabytes sucked by a Windows 10 machine if it decides to download an update.

Be very careful tethering a Windows 10 computer!

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello Myriad,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

In order to better assist you in regards to your data usage, please send us a private message.

I am waiting for your answer.

Cheers

Abdoulaye

@Myriad wrote:

Yikes!

Hahaha yes! Yikes indeed!

P.S. be careful when tethering data, machines like windows 10 can see a regular hotspot as a unmetered wifi connection and start doing windows updates and eat up all your data in minutes.

Make sure to change your tethered connection to a "metered" connection in your operating system settings to make sure this does not happen.

Myriad

Yikes!

Screenshot_20180608-155525.png

Myriad

Ahhh. So correct! Let me mess around with the OnePlus!

@Myriad wrote:

I got a message today that said I was down to my last 300MB of my 6GB limit. I have only used 734MB of data this month (see attached) and my next payment is June 10 so does my data limit roll over on that date?

You would have used much more than 734MB in the billing cycle. Since your next renewal happens on June 10th, the usage that Public Mobile is reporting goes back to May 10 (30 days of service that goes from then until the end of June 9th).  Your 6GB of data data will not roll over on June 10th.  The data amount remainting for the new billing cycle will be reset.  Any data that goes usunsed from the billing cycle that you are in now will be lost.

Also remember that Public Mobile does not sell services by the month. As you were asking about your when your 30 day cycle starts, it can be on different days each month because of the varrying number of days in each month.  For that reason, your phone's counter isn't going to be accurate.

@Myriad wrote:

While I agree with you that the phone's data calculation differential and PM won't be competely accurate, PM has pegged my usage at 5848.197 MB for this period (though I don't know what time period that covers?) while my phone says 734MB, so I don't think my phone's estimate can be that inaccurate! So I am assuming that on June 10 my plan will reset back to 6 GB again. I am just trying to find out what the 30 day billing cycle is at PM.

Somehow my post above got deleted!? It explained you have not properly configured your data tracker app. Your date range is incorrect.

Myriad

While I agree with you that the phone's data calculation differential and PM won't be competely accurate, PM has pegged my usage at 5848.197 MB for this period (though I don't know what time period that covers?) while my phone says 734MB, so I don't think my phone's estimate can be that inaccurate! So I am assuming that on June 10 my plan will reset back to 6 GB again. I am just trying to find out what the 30 day billing cycle is at PM.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Myriad   Data does not roll over from the paid time period. It's good for 10, 30, or 90 days depending on your plan then its gone forever used up or not. Unless it was a "paid add-on" then it will last forever (until it is used up)

Your phone does not calculate it as accuratly as your mobile provider.  You have to check "my account" in public mobile to see your exact data usage.

I can also see your app is showing June 1st - 30th, but you said June 10th, you need to change the settings in your app to display the correct day date cycle then it will give you a closer data usage to what public mobile is actually calculating. It will be silly on june 11th to see you have used over 700mb when in reality you will have used 0mb at renewal.

If you are on a 30 day cycle then set the date range to the 9th/10th (depending on your renewal date) not the 30th, if you are on a 90 day cycle then you need a custom app such as  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Data-monitor-for-pre-paid-plans/td-p/4372...

Need Help? Let's chat.