cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data monitor for pre-paid plans

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey, if anyone (on Android anyway) is frustrated that the otherwise excellent built in data usage monitor doesn't work well for 30/90 day plans I have built a data usage monitor just for us.

It's currently in open beta testing available here until I get some feedback that everything is awesome.

Not sure if they charge you the $1 for the app in beta testing, probably.

This is my first Android app but I had some success on BlackBerry 10 before getting a BlackBerry Priv and having to learn Android.

I'm not here to market my own stuff but I know I was frustrated so I built it mainly for myself.

Always looking for feedback, Enjoy!

19 REPLIES 19

lexcyn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The updates have made it even better. I haven't had any issues since the latest update, and I checked it against the PM account page and it seems almost 100% accurate. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @IWIK, that helps! 

I notice that recently (I think on the previous update) you added a 3x2 widget in addition to the 4x1.  I think I prefer the 4x1 but they appear to present the same information well.  I'll try to keep an eye on my usage to see how well it tracks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

IWIK

@srlawren If the monitor was running when you started the reboot of the phone it should start back up after start up. If you go and stop the monitor before rebooting it will NOT automatically start again after a reboot.

Hope that clears some up

srlawren

Hi IWIK,

I have uninstalled and re-installed the latest.  I'm still not entirely clear--after a reboot, do I have to go into DW and start the monitoring manually?

Thanks!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

IWIK

Just a note, an update is being pushed out and I'd appreciate it if when you get the notification that the update is available, please delete the app and install the new update.

Hopefully correcting accuracy issues, especially for people who had used a lot of data between rebooting their phone and installing the app for the first time.

Thanks

IWIK

There actually is no service running in the background, its an alarm that triggers it (this uses much less cpu/memory, and doesn't get force closed if the device gets low on resources.

This does however make monitoring it's operation slightly more complicated but I am exploring some options.

As far as accuracy it *should* be accurate but that's something that this little test group will certainly help determine. It's hard for me to tell because I have the app on and off, setup in different ways, etc for testing.

One thing to keep in mind is any data used between the last check and a device reboot will not be accounted for. It should restart after the device boots back up but I can only check usage since boot.

lexcyn

@srlawren wrote:

Indeed.

I've been running it a few days, but on weekdays I tend to go through mobile data fairly slowly as I have WiFi at home and at work.  I'm not 100% sure if it's starting automatically and just running all the time or not, as when I compared vs. self-serve this morning, the app was a bit behind.  I updated the figure and will try to watch more closely and provide more feedback soon.

Thank you!

Yeah there needs to be better feedback on what the service is currently doing. 

A root mode would be nice so the service doesn't get shut down in the background.

Also a way to configure the widget would be nice.

Otherwise it's working as intended for me!

srlawren

Indeed.

I've been running it a few days, but on weekdays I tend to go through mobile data fairly slowly as I have WiFi at home and at work.  I'm not 100% sure if it's starting automatically and just running all the time or not, as when I compared vs. self-serve this morning, the app was a bit behind.  I updated the figure and will try to watch more closely and provide more feedback soon.

Thank you!

lexcyn

The built in one only lets you do monthly data and not 60 or 90 day plans. I realize you can just divide by however many months, but it's a pain especially if you go over your usage for the month and you are stuck with a nagging notification saying your data has been used up.

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Android has a data usage monitor/manager built into the OS but it's good to see more tools as an option for those who want more than what the OS itself offers. BlackBerry 10 also has this built in as well.

lexcyn

Nice, this is a good app. I am always happy to support a Canadian app developer.

I've had issues with other apps that monitor data, some of them would not work correctly or there was too much "bloat" in the app.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

sounds cool! though I can live with the self-serve interface 🙂 

spoolinx86

Still interested in testing out your app but in the meanwhile I found another free Android app called "My Data Manager". With it you can set pre-paid plans so this works great for anyone using 90 day plans. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm

srlawren

Love the idea indeed!  I can't wait to try this out.  🙂

spoolinx86

Like the idea, I've sent an email to help test out. 

Now this I can say, is certainly worth exploring, Thanks

IWIK

Ok anyone that wants to give it a go email me at iwik_help@outlook.com and I'll send a promo code your way.

I did build this for Android 5.0 and up (just because that's what I have to test on)

IWIK

Hmmmmmm I should put up some promotional PM copies just for us... I'll look into that

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

That's cool. 

I am trying to get your app but its giving me this error: "We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server."

EDIT: nvm, i opened it on my android and it worked but ya they are asking to pay $1.00.

Need Help? Let's chat.