cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get data to work.

CBServices
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just signed up for Public Mobile a few days ago.  I set up my plan for 30 days, provincial calling, global texting, and 500MB data.

I tried to use the data yesterday, and couldn't get it to work.  I've got an Alcatel One Touch 6012A phone that I brought from my previous provider.  I checked on the PM site prior to signing up, and it stated my phone was compatible.

I've made sure data is turned on, I've turned off WiFi just to be sure, and under status in settings, it still says "Mobile network state" is "disconnected".

I've rebooted the phone, which changed nothing.  Under Settings->More...->Mobile Networks->Data connection, it shows "Public Mobile".

Under Settings->More...->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names, it shows "sp.telus.com", which is the only option, and is selected.

Under Settings->More...->Mobile Networks->Network operators, I can select automatically or manually.  Automatic doesn't work, and manual mode gives me a few options to select, one of which is "Public Mobile 3G".  If I select this one, it still doesn't work.

I've used data on this phone with my previous carrier, but not immediately prior to switching to PM.  I haven't had a data plan for a year or so, as it was stupid expensive with my previous carrier, so I'd dropped it.  (One of my big reasons for switching to PM.)

The odd thing is, I don't even get the icon in the status bar (antenna with 3G or LTE beside it) for a data connection.  I can't remember exactly what it looked like on this phone, but I get nothing at all.  My signal strength is 3 or 4 bars out of 4, and making calls/texting works just fine.

I do have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 that I can try this SIM in, and see if data works on it, but I haven't done that yet.  

In the meantime, any ideas of anything else I can try?

Chris

6 REPLIES 6

georgepacan

@CBServices thats good it worked for you, if you have any questions im free to answer at any time

CBServices

@georgepacan Thanks.  There were a couple of settings I didn't have right (The MMS stuff), so I'd guess an MMS text would still have failed had I tried one.  I've got it all set up as listed now, so I should be good.

georgepacan

@CBServices yes you need the right apn here it is follow exactly how it looks and data will work perfectly https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/153_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_alcatel_one_touch_918.p... i know its not ur phone model its just a example

CBServices

@matbasm Good call.

Set up a new APN on the Alcatel with the same settings as on the Samsung, and I now have a little "H+" just above my signal strength graph on the status bar.  I can also browse with WiFi turned off, so that fixed it.

I might have got there myself, but sometimes it just helps to ask questions, because it makes you think through the process completely. (And it helps anybody else who searches the forums...)

Thanks a bunch,

Chris

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CBServices, it's worth a try (changing the APN to match what you have on the Samsung).  If it works, great.  If not, you can always set it back to what it is now.

CBServices

Ok...just tried the SIM in the Galaxy, and data works on that one.  I went into settings, and discovered that the APN is sp.mb.com, rather than the sp.telus.com shown on the Alcatel.  Should I be changing to match this on the Alcatel?  I'm not overly familiar with how this works across phone generations, 3G/4G, etc, so I'm not sure if this is an invalid setting or not.

Thanks for the assistance.

Chris

Need Help? Let's chat.