cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Costco "unlocked" phones

magimug
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In the process of moving 3 phones over from Virgin. 

2 of the 3 phones are Samsung models and were bought at Costco and were advertised as unlocked.

When I registered a sim here and attempted to insert it into one of the Costco phones I got a "Network locked SIM card inserted" and a window to input a SIM network unlock PIN.

Turns out those "unlocked" Costco phones Once you insert a SIM card for the first time, the phone LOCKS TO THAT CARRIER.

Solution: went on live chat on the Samsung Canada web site...explained my situation and will be receiving the unlock codes (for free) via email

Hope this helps someone

10 REPLIES 10

This thread is acting weird as lots of posts keep dissapearing

No idea why, but something is glitched in community it seems like

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wouldn't Costco take these back as a refund anyways?

Lol - don't they refund everything. 

@computergeek541 but the price tag is correct. It IS unlocked & can be used with any Canadian carrier. There also is a HUGE warning that once SIM card of your choice is inserted it will lock itself & contact Samsung to unlock again

TK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@magimug

Hi,

The default Sim unlock Pin for Public Mobile is 1234

Please insert this Pin to unlock your Sim.

This Pin is different from unlock code.

On the price tag, it says "unlocked".   If the phone locks itself after inserting a sim card, Costco should not be advertising it as unlocked. 

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It is still misleading to the average consumer, and is good to know! I wasn't aware of this before so thanks for sharing!

They clearly label the display, actual phone box, and product description as SIM lock

It is the first thing in web description as well @magimug

magimug

no paperwork...grabbed a cardboard with pic of product went up to checkout and walked out with boxed product and a receipt

(not to bash Costco....I did look over the info on the card but at the time but switching providers was a non issue...it was just a bit of a surpise that's all)

magimug

Galaxy J1.png

clogan2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

To be fair, if you're talking about the Samsung Galaxy J1, they say that on the information sheet that you take to the checkout...

Need Help? Let's chat.