Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,605 REPLIES 5,605

Zoomer_Goomer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Fully agree, the points system should at the very least provide the same total discounts as the rewards system for as long as you remain a customer

sdox

Well, that's disappointing. Losing years of loyalty points on all our lines that kept us with public mobile even when shiny new plans appeared with other providers. Loyalty won't be keeping me around anymore...

edsou
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Incredibly disappointing.  I was steadfast in my loyalty to PM over the last six years but I guess, like others, I will also shop around if they don't reverse the decision or make a better offer than 240GB for 150 days.  Even if the 240GB didn't expire I would be more willing to swallow this.  Not to mention the constant promotions leading up to this to get people to sign up for more expensive plans  (which I did) then promoting the 90day plan discounts (I also did this).  Now the only way for me to switch to a cheaper plan to actually use this useless 240GB "gift" is to bail on the 90 day plan early and cut those losses.  

Flavietto

I have been a public Mobile client for more than 10 years and I strongly disagree with this latest change. Please don't make it worse for your most loyal clients.

Geekedout

I apologize. It is the CCTS who accepted my complaint. But I filed it through the CRTC web site.

Geekedout

The CRTC replied to my email by saying they accepted my complaint.

ninjastar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oh what a surprise...more Telus smoke and mirrors. Let's keep burning the house down. 

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2024/03/11/koodo-29-50gb-lure-customers-back/

joe77

I don't understand how PM refuses to offer a simple solution to at least some of the existing members.

Why are there no 4G plans in the $20-$30 range available for us to downgrade to soften the blow?  

A new sub to PM is allowed to join right now and chose one of the available $24 and $29 4G plans. These new subs have never giving a dime to PM, yet they are allowed to pick a plan of this type while some of us that have been here for years can only chose $34+ plans or, downgrade to the two useless 3G plans. Why exactly are there no 4G plans available to us?

I know this would still leave many members with the old $10 and $15 plans basically paying double or more.  I currently have my in-laws on that old $10 (now $13) plan and don't know what I'm going to do for them. They are retirees on fixed incomes that really can't afford another increase. Like many others, they strictly use it for safety reasons and have months where they don't even use a minute of call time. I wish the the decision makers would have taken that into consideration.

mikasik2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Why can't I just push enter after inputting the Eversafe code? It makes me mouse click

jimn1023a

Read a lot of posts. I see this as a way of PM cutting back a rewards system that PM felt was costing them too much. I really don't understand how this will impact me. When I find out, I'll decide. One likely outcome is that my unquestioned loyalty to PM will disappear. I've never investigated alternatives as the rewards were something that I did not want to give up. I feel this may free me from my marriage to PM. Maybe not. I do enjoy being with a company that I feel is good enough, such that I wouldn't consider change. Grandfathering might have dealt with some of the rebellion. 

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Soon-ex-PM-user wrote:

Looks like Telus is hurting.  Just only 'the strongest fourth quarter on record' as per their tweet 🤫 https://twitter.com/TELUSNews/status/1755928158119891006

It looks like whatever Telus wants it to look like.

Look at the language they use to gaslight their customers. Then think about the language their executives, managerials, accountants, and scapegoats use to gaslight their partners, investors, and shareholders.

edmensah

We the customers, don't like your new points system! It is awful and not worth it. I hate it 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 KEEP THE OLD PUBLIC MOBILE REWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magnetyyc

Hello public mobile,

I am writing to inform you that I'm filling a complaint to CCTS in regards to the decapitation of your rewards program. On my 2 accounts I'll be losing my $5 for years of loyalty and $2 for auto pay and my for $2 referral rewards. On my second account I'm losing $7 in rewards all while only reading 5% on spend. Rewarding me with expiring data is not a solution to devaluing my loyalty. 

Thank you. 

Ethan_

Switching from one type of data plan to the other may cause your special bonus data to be incompatible and removed from your account.

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.

@edeepm wrote:

Complain to both CCTS and CRTC, why not?

The CRTC does not handle complaints from customers about disputes between customers and carriers.  There's no point in contacting the CRTC. They will auomatically inform anyone by e-mail who has contacted them online to contact the CCTS.  

@samako wrote:

Wow, banned from logging into my account to get my account number when I wanted to make the CCTS complaint... Now I can't even cancel. Thanks for the fuel for the CCTS complaint PM.

There is no banning of Self Serve accounts unless the carrier decides discontine the bususiness relationship with a customer (this rarely happens).   Bans here are based on Community usernames and the ability for members to post new messages.  The inability to log into a Self Serve account would be a temporary website system or Public Mobile app issue.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The point is that we were promised something, and then had it taken away.

But, besides this, for years, we've put up with terrible customer service, a website that almost never functions, an app that is offline more than its online, a payment portal that fails every other month for whatever reason, a lack of mobile features that competitors have but we don't, expiring add-ons, up until recent, extremely expensive to use in other countries, etc. The list goes on.

PM users have been okay with this nonsense because of their rewards program. They were fine with waiting 5 days to resolve an issue by having to wait for responses on a forum, BECAUSE PM had cheaper prices than the alternatives. Now, we're losing this rewards program, while everything else is staying the same. Just makes no sense to stick around anymore. You can get better deals elsewhere, or at the very least, identical pricing, but you also don't have to deal with all the nonsense.

Richard1231

Starting may 2024. So goodbye loyal customers 

Richard1231

Bonus data not required 

marcnoel

One post references an article about a similar situation in 2018, where PM had a $ 120.00/90 days plan with 12 GB.  That's 4 GB for $ 40.00 a month.  Now we can get 50 GB for $ 34.00.  I think part of the problem is that prices have gone down, and offerings gone up over the past year, but many of us are now used to it.  It may be unfair or unbalanced to keep expecting and taking better deals over time, but then getting upset if PM wants something in return ($ 50.00 a year for Loyalty change).  I don't know if anyone who has had a $ 60.00 plan has gotten upset that they get the same $ 2.00 AutoPay reward as someone who has a $ 15.00 plan.  Now, the $ 60.00 will get $ 3.00 per month, an extra $ 1.00 over AutoPay.  Also, PM is not obligated to offer better deals.  Yes, I know - capitalism, shareholders, CEO profits, etc. - but we can't expect to get everything for nothing.  Even though several other carriers are offering $ 34.00/50 GB plans, that may be the price one has to pay until some perks or rewards kick in, vs. using what we get now.  More chow mein for the cranium.

The change is not better, but it doesn't appear as bad as some seem to think.  To review, referrals remain the same, Community has never been worth it to me, AutoPay difference will be anywhere from a $ 1.25 monthly loss ($ 15.00 plan) to a $ 1.00 gain ($ 60.00 plan), leaving the $ 60.00 max. Loyalty Rewards vs. $ 10.00 Points per year.  Independent of referrals or Community, the monthly hit can be anywhere from $ 3.17 to $ 5.42.  The foregoing doesn't take into account if someone has a lot of Rewards banked right now, and ends up losing them when switched.  Let us hope not.  Losing $ 200.00 at once (for example) will hurt a lot more than $ 4.00 a month.

Richard1231

Sounds like there are many more companies to deal with 

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kb_mv wrote:

@mischt70 Agreed. What will be interesting is the community helpers. I saved a fair number of dollars over the years by helping out with questions on the board. I certainly don't have much incentive to carry on with it though. Wonder how many others will go the same way.

I lost my incentive a while back. When Telus replaced a friendly, capable, competent staff with an impersonal, limited, call-center staff. When they replaced those staff with an incompetent chatbot. When my referrals all drifted away to better deals at better providers. When they put EverSafe in my face and broke my community login.

I've already decided to leave Public Mobile. Their quiet, sneaky removal of the points you'd get (up to a week ago) for longterm loyalty is all the evidence I need that they're greedy and unethical. It's a twist-the-dagger move, not cool. It speaks to me that Public Mobile (Telus) doesn't care about their customers, has ripped them off before, is ripping them off now, will rip them off again.

So now it's up to them whether they want to keep my "loyalty". Gonna take more than a useless gift I won't use before it expires. It's up to Telus to convince me that they're loyal and reliable and trustworthy if they want me to stick around. I doubt they care at all so I'm already being realistic and shopping around the alternatives.

Stelawrat

@marcnoel wrote:

One more time.

While I don't like this change any more than the next person, here's some food for thought.  It comes from ruminating on the whole thing over the last few days.

Approximately 18 months ago, the most expensive plan was $ 50 - 55.00 a month, and offered 20 GB, if I remember correctly.  Now, we can get 50 GB for $ 34.00 (for example).  We got more for less.  Separately, it used to be that everyone active with AutoPay got a $ 2.00 discount every month (Rewards system), independent of plan price.  With Points, the comparable discount is 5% back, which, if you have a $ 40.00 plan, equals $ 2.00 a month.  At that amount, both systems are the same.  Referrals remain the same, so that's no different.  Regarding Community contributions, I realized years ago that, if it takes ten minutes to post something that earns you a $ 1.00 (not guaranteed), you're getting $ 6.00/hour.  I begrudge nobody who does it, but it's not worth my time.   My point is that the Community Rewards/Points thing doesn't matter to me.  That leaves Loyalty.  Maximum $ 60.00/year through Rewards, now $ 10.00 via Points.  A $ 50.00 difference per year, which is $ 4.17 per month.  Currently, Fizz is offering 20 GB for $ 14.50/month for six months, then $ 29.00/month.  I just read reviews about reception and customer service, which were less than stellar.  Freedom has a one-year plan for $ 12.50/month, with an average of 2.5 GB per month.  In comparison, PM has 1 GB for $ 25.00.  I also keep forgetting that some of my referrals started out with Points, so they aren't impacted, which means they'll probably stick around.  I don't know if it would be better overall to switch to someone else, because, once I switch to points, I will get either 30.4 points/dollars per year (no referrals), or 126.4 points (currently 8 referrals).  It means that my discounted price for the $ 34.00 plan will be anywhere from ~$ 31.50 to 23.50 - for a 50 GB plan.  Is it worth it to move?

Only you can decide really. Honestly if I were you, then I would definitely stay until May, to take advantage of your current rewards. You have nothing to lose by doing that. Competitors aren't going away so... 

In the meantime, Telus / PM may make some more changes to their ideas, which might turn out to be positive. Again wait until May to see. 

In the meantime, you can continue to look around, ask family, friends, search the web for customer reviews of companies you think you might be interested in. 

Sometimes, it's better to stay with the devil you know, than to be cheeky with one you don't... or something like that?? How does that go again? Oh holy cow, it after midnight! 

Yogourt or no yogourt? Oh wth, yogourt it is! Goodnight all, stay safe, try to be good. o/

Lolo_1234
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

And here are the ToS for the rewards, updated in December 2023 : https://assets.ctfassets.net/xe7doznj0dju/5m6NPHsPnQ9G0FmwgB1qKe/0a574984c29f3a647172b43f9e550d68/Pu...

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Here are the ToS that were last updated May in 2023.  I am not sure if there are any archived copies of it

Public_WebPolicy_ServiceTerms_EN_April_2023.pdf (ctfassets.net)

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Here are the ToS that were last updated May in 2023.  I am not sure if there are any archived copies of it

Public_WebPolicy_ServiceTerms_EN_April_2023.pdf (ctfassets.net)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

They've also written that you will keep your referral and loyalty rewards as long as you remain an active customer, so they've contradicted themselves. The question is which part of the agreement takes precedence. I know when I signed up, it was made very clear that I'd keep these forever.

This information can also still readily be found right here on this very forum, and I've posted evidence multiple times throughout this thread.

Good information to use in a CCTS report at least.

@samako, yeah and I am pretty sure all the agreements started like the one I am sharing now

ShawnC13_0-1710216182897.png

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@OldNicknameGone Ok I did see this post yes unfortnately  the prices will be up for everyone.  As you are on the $40 plan you will be earning 2 points back each 30 days so you will have 24 points at the end of the year but like myself you will be out the $50 in the difference between 10 points and $5 for every 30 days.

samako

Thanks Shawn. As long as that is the same agreement as when I signed, then I have no stance other than vocal disappointment.

Thanks for your effort on the forum, and good luck.

marcnoel

One more time.

While I don't like this change any more than the next person, here's some food for thought.  It comes from ruminating on the whole thing over the last few days.

Approximately 18 months ago, the most expensive plan was $ 50 - 55.00 a month, and offered 20 GB, if I remember correctly.  Now, we can get 50 GB for $ 34.00 (for example).  We got more for less.  Separately, it used to be that everyone active with AutoPay got a $ 2.00 discount every month (Rewards system), independent of plan price.  With Points, the comparable discount is 5% back, which, if you have a $ 40.00 plan, equals $ 2.00 a month.  At that amount, both systems are the same.  Referrals remain the same, so that's no different.  Regarding Community contributions, I realized years ago that, if it takes ten minutes to post something that earns you a $ 1.00 (not guaranteed), you're getting $ 6.00/hour.  I begrudge nobody who does it, but it's not worth my time.   My point is that the Community Rewards/Points thing doesn't matter to me.  That leaves Loyalty.  Maximum $ 60.00/year through Rewards, now $ 10.00 via Points.  A $ 50.00 difference per year, which is $ 4.17 per month.  Currently, Fizz is offering 20 GB for $ 14.50/month for six months, then $ 29.00/month.  I just read reviews about reception and customer service, which were less than stellar.  Freedom has a one-year plan for $ 12.50/month, with an average of 2.5 GB per month.  In comparison, PM has 1 GB for $ 25.00.  I also keep forgetting that some of my referrals started out with Points, so they aren't impacted, which means they'll probably stick around.  I don't know if it would be better overall to switch to someone else, because, once I switch to points, I will get either 30.4 points/dollars per year (no referrals), or 126.4 points (currently 8 referrals).  It means that my discounted price for the $ 34.00 plan will be anywhere from ~$ 31.50 to 23.50 - for a 50 GB plan.  Is it worth it to move?

Need Help? Let's chat.