cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox Xcloud on PM 3G service

TurtleMcRib
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wondering if anyone has used the xbox game pass mobile streaming service on public mobiles 3G data 

2 REPLIES 2

Public Mobile's 3000kbps "3G" data rate equates to almost 1.3GB per hour, maximum.

It might not be enough bandwidth for xCloud service, unless it supports lower quality and lower resolutions.

xCloud apparently isn't encoded in a format which Telus Wireless Video Optimization currently supports. (Telus uses an Openwave/ENEA Media Optimizer which apparently does have Encrypted Network Traffic and Encrypted Video Manager extensions, but latest releases do not officially support xCloud at this time. They do explicitly support YouTube, Netflix, Prime, and other encrypted media streams.)

This means that xCloud content may be unoptimized when delivered to your device, eating a lot of data. While YouTube/etc content is optimized (transcoded down to the maximum display limits of your device) so the same video consumes a lot less data.

Using cellular data to watch movies would be a very costly way to get very little xCloud entertainment. Any other kind of real internet connection would give far greater data bandwidths at far lower per-GB prices. Maybe you don't mind paying $40/month for a few hours of showtime, but there are better options.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

That would use too much data. I don't think anyone should use this unless you have a lot of data to burn every month. 

"We previously tested Xbox cloud gaming through its Project xCloud testing phase, monitoring data usage over 15-minute sessions, with Android's integrated data-tracking features. Our gameplay sessions averaged around 590MB over that window, translating to an estimated 5.2Mbps, or 2.36GB per hour. It's an expected result, akin to your everyday HD video stream. YouTube's bitrate estimates put 720p, 60Hz playback around 2GB per hour, only slightly below Xbox streaming."

Need Help? Let's chat.