cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Money - new type of financial service - is it worthwhile?

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just got an email a few minutes ago from "Galen Weston" about PC Money, which is a new type of payment service / bank account that seems on the surface similar to Visa Debit, but using the MasterCard network.

Similar to the PC Financial Mastercard, it allows you to pay for anything where MasterCard is accepted & you receive PC Optimum points, but like Visa Debit, you pay from essentially a bank account rather than on credit.

Has anyone looked into this?  Is it worth it?

As a credit card holder, I am not seeing much of anything to get excited about, as the points you can earn are similar to a PC Financial MasterCard or any standard card that pays about 1% back in rewards.  Obviously, if your credit is not good, this might be a great option.  Also, if you do not want to use credit cards at all & prefer to pay cash / debit for everything, this might be the way to go.  I assume you will be able to pay your PM bill this way?

2 REPLIES 2

Korth
Mayor / Maire

It's just unsolicited spam. Scattershot advertising, offered to many "specially selected" people with the hope that a few will actually buy the product. Like a TV commercial. The name-dropping is meaningless pretention anyhow, unless you already know "Galen Weston".

If you're actually interested in buying the product then do it directly. Don't ever respond to spam unless you want to be tagged as an active number willing to receive endlessly spammed offers and advertisements in the future. And don't let a middleman install himself when buying a product which is openly available to all consumers, it never makes things cost less for you, and it's also the method used in all scams and cons (the sender is likely legit, but no need to be a victim because you made things easy).

If you already have a better product then no need to buy the offered product. They'd be happy to take your money but you're not really the kind of customer they're trying to find. Bad credit cards exist to fill the need for people who don't qualify for good credit cards, ordinary financial services exist for people who don't qualify for extraordinary financial services.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

You might want to follow this. 

https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/general-financial-discussion/loblaws-is-getting-bank-into-b...

You will get far more info here for ALL banking.  

Also so I don’t bank at CT TANGERINE ETC. All backed or engined by a big 5 bank 

Need Help? Let's chat.