Did you mean: 

Metaphors and other definitions

darlicious
Mayor / Maire
darlicious_0-1589626493759.png

met·a·phor
/ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/

noun

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
'her poetry depends on suggestion and metaphor'
synonyms: figure of speech, figurative expression, image, trope, allegory, parable, analogy, comparison, symbol, emblem, word painting, word picture, conceit
darlicious_1-1589626606067.png

re·spect
/rəˈspekt/

noun
    a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    'the director had a lot of <b>respect for</b> Douglas as an actor'
    synonyms: esteem, regard, high regard, high opinion, acclaim, admiration, approbation, approval, appreciation, estimation, favor, popularity, recognition, veneration, awe, reverence, deference, honor, praise, homage
    due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others.
    'young people's lack of <b>respect for</b> their parents'
    synonyms: due regard, consideration, thoughtfulness, attentiveness, politeness, courtesy, civility, deference
    a particular aspect, point, or detail.
    'the government's record <b>in this respect</b> is a mixed one'
    synonyms: aspect, regard, facet, feature, way, sense, characteristic, particular, point, detail, question, matter, connection
    darlicious_2-1589626713869.png

dis·re·spect·ful
    /ˌdisrəˈspek(t)fəl/

adjective

showing a lack of respect or courtesy; impolite.
    'a deeply disrespectful attitude toward women'
    synonyms: discourteous, rude, impolite, uncivil, unmannerly, ill-mannered, bad-mannered, ungracious, irreverent, inconsiderate, insolent, impudent, impertinent, cheeky, flippant, insubordinate, churlish, contemptuous, disdainful, derisive, scornful, disparaging, insulting, abusive, fresh
    Screenshot_20200516-033225.png
Is using a child's sandbox as a metaphor for the community disrespectful? Is asking for mutual respect in of itself disrespectful ? Should we always follow our elders without question?
4 REPLIES 4

@Korth 

Before yesterday I had assumed most people understood what a metaphor is and its use in the english language i have since revised my thoughts  on the matter.

Admittedly I had to look that one up as I was familiar with the term but not 100% sure of its meaning. It's modern use is difficult for my brain to grasp however its historical use is the definition i was familiar with....like smoke signals perhaps we should simplify the communication on the community to it so as to not be misunderstood.

Most people can understand metaphor.

But few can understand semaphore.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious wrote:
darlicious_0-1589626493759.png

met·a·phor
/ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/

noun

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
'her poetry depends on suggestion and metaphor'
synonyms: figure of speech, figurative expression, image, trope, allegory, parable, analogy, comparison, symbol, emblem, word painting, word picture, conceit
darlicious_1-1589626606067.png

re·spect
/rəˈspekt/

noun
    a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    'the director had a lot of <b>respect for</b> Douglas as an actor'
    synonyms: esteem, regard, high regard, high opinion, acclaim, admiration, approbation, approval, appreciation, estimation, favor, popularity, recognition, veneration, awe, reverence, deference, honor, praise, homage
    due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others.
    'young people's lack of <b>respect for</b> their parents'
    synonyms: due regard, consideration, thoughtfulness, attentiveness, politeness, courtesy, civility, deference
    a particular aspect, point, or detail.
    'the government's record <b>in this respect</b> is a mixed one'
    synonyms: aspect, regard, facet, feature, way, sense, characteristic, particular, point, detail, question, matter, connection
    darlicious_2-1589626713869.png

dis·re·spect·ful
    /ˌdisrəˈspek(t)fəl/

adjective

showing a lack of respect or courtesy; impolite.
    'a deeply disrespectful attitude toward women'
    synonyms: discourteous, rude, impolite, uncivil, unmannerly, ill-mannered, bad-mannered, ungracious, irreverent, inconsiderate, insolent, impudent, impertinent, cheeky, flippant, insubordinate, churlish, contemptuous, disdainful, derisive, scornful, disparaging, insulting, abusive, fresh
    Screenshot_20200516-033225.png
Is using a child's sandbox as a metaphor for the community disrespectful? Is asking for mutual respect in of itself disrespectful ? Should we always follow our elders without question?

Of course; especially do as I'm doing whenever you become annoyed.

Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 9.32.17 PM.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Because language can be so colloquial, who knows what the real intentions are.  When you go and pay homage to a member who was turfed, your stock takes a beating and people can migrate to the negative side.  You took a ban yourself for indiscretions.  It is all about image.  Sadly, bringing up this kind of topic creates further division.  Go out and enjoy the good weather and the community will be better off.  

Need Help? Let's chat.