cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blog Post: Why 5G is the Future with Public Mobile

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

When it comes to technology, standing still is the same as moving backward. That's why at Public Mobile, we're not just keeping pace with change; we're leading the way with Canada's first 5G subscription phone service. Public Mobile_WhyPublic_Reliabilty_VerticalBars_5GIcon_Sand.png

What's So Special About 5G?
5G is the 'fifth generation' of mobile internet, and it's a game-changer. If you thought 4G was fast, 5G takes it to a whole new level. With speeds reaching up to 250 Mbps, it offers:

• Speed: Download your favorite shows, games, and music at lightning-fast speeds.
  • Reliability: Say goodbye to interruptions with a network that's dependable.
  • Capacity: More data means more fun, without any slowdowns.

With 5G, everything you do on your phone becomes more smooth, quick, and enjoyable. Whether you're streaming a live concert or battling in an online game, 5G is designed to keep up with your life.

Why is 3G Becoming a Thing of the Past?
While 3G has served us well, it's becoming outdated for most of today's apps and needs. 3G speed subscriptions may reach only 3 Mbps, far below the 100 Mbps of 4G and the staggering 250 Mbps of 5G.

As apps become more sophisticated, they require more bandwidth and speed. That's where 3G falls short. With the rise of 5G, we're ensuring you're always ahead of the curve.

Comparing the Generations: 3G vs. 4G vs. 5G
You might wonder what all the fuss about 5G is about. To truly appreciate the leap we're making with 5G, let's take a look at how it stacks up against 3G and 4G:

3G: The Basic Experience

• Speed: Up to 3 Mbps
  • Reliability: Suitable for basic browsing and emails
  • Capacity: Struggles with video streaming, social media, and gaming

4G: A Step Up

• Speed: Up to 100 Mbps
  • Reliability: Great for streaming and online gaming
  • Capacity: Handles most of today's needs, but could struggle in densely populated areas or large public events.

5G: The Future is Here

• Speed: Up to 250 Mbps
  • Reliability: Superfast for everything you do online
  • Capacity: Unmatched, providing a seamless experience even with demanding applications

While 3G and 4G have their places, 5G is like having the fast lane all to yourself. It's about more than just speed; it's about a smoother, more reliable experience that keeps up with your lifestyle.

Imagine downloading a full HD movie in seconds or hopping on a video call with friends or family without any disruption. That's the 5G difference. It's not just about keeping up; it's about leading the way. With Public Mobile's 5G subscription, you're not just joining the future; you're embracing a whole new level of mobile experience.

Note: Although some users may experience higher speeds than those listed, these are not guaranteed and can vary based on location, and other factors. That's why it's crucial to select the right subscription level to ensure your speed and experience meet your specific needs.

Choose Your Speed with Public Mobile
We know that one size doesn't fit all. That's why we offer various data speeds to choose from. You can opt for:

• 3G speed: For basic browsing and email.
  • 4G speed: For streaming and online gaming.
  • 5G speed: For the ultimate experience in speed and reliability.

Real-World Example:

• A user on a 3G network might struggle to stream a live sporting event without buffering, but even simple activities like conducting a basic web search could be slower or subject to buffering.
  • With 4G, the same user could watch the event in higher definition but might still experience lag in crowded areas. Web browsing and email would be much quicker compared to 3G, but the experience may vary depending on the network congestion.
  • On a 5G network, the user could enjoy the event in 4K with no interruptions, even in a packed stadium, and could even access interactive AR features for real-time statistics and replays. Web searches, video calls, and pretty much anything else you'd want to do online could happen in the blink of an eye.

Joining Public Mobile's 5G Subscription is a Breeze
Want to be part of the future? Here's how you can subscribe to Public Mobile's 5G in 4 simple steps:

1. Pick a plan: Choose what fits you best on our Subscription Plan page.
  2. Create your account: It's quick and easy.
  3. Activate with eSIM or get a SIM delivered right to your door.
  4. Download the Public Mobile app: Complete your activation, and you're all set.

Note: A wifi connection is required to activate your SIM.

A Different Public Mobile Experience
With 5G data, no overage fees, no credit checks, and no confusing contracts, we're reshaping the way you connect to the world. From lightning-fast downloads to groundbreaking applications, 5G isn't just a step forward; it's a leap into the future.

We hope this exploration of 5G has been informative, giving you a better understanding of its immense capabilities compared to 3G and 4G. More than just a technological advancement, 5G opens doors to new experiences, seamless connections, and unparalleled convenience.

Ready to be part of this exciting transformation? Choose your 5G plan with Public Mobile today and prepare to experience a whole new level of connection. Because with us, different isn't just what we do, it's who we are.

36 REPLIES 36

DanMan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Unfortunately as many others you have been cheated out off your dollar rewards system:(

joe_df
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm still on the 3G and all I do is check emails, messages, and do google searches... It's been fine for me. I feel anymore would get me more addicted to my phone and data... A speed increase would be nice, but I guess they can always create a speed-capped for 5G/4G if they want to. Eventually 3G will be phased-out, not sure but maybe in 10 years?

Most of the time, I see 4G/LTE+ on my phone, but speed seems to be capped at 3G speed anyway.

Whenever 3G is phased-out, I just hope I don't get cheated out of my current plan. I'm still on the dollar rewards system and I refuse to be on the points system.

cbPM51
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just signed up for next month. We will see. But if i move from current 65 mbps to say 125 on my 4g phone, i expect to barely notice the diff.   

A speed test would see it in the results of the test though.

Have you tried a test like "fast"?

Mossmyster33

From the service I was receiving before to the new service I’m receiving now with 5G I find there’s absolutely no difference in the speed of service at all. If there is then only a millennial notice

Jberetta2002

For sure, since Musk - Starlink has quite the satellite "mesh" covering a bunch of earth really, and always batching in more, that's becoming more of a full coverage option for internet and communications overall. Last I heard, Starlink is joining forces with one of the major cell network providers in the US to offer their customers a better coverage area (desert and mountain areas).

My family in rural Ontario has Kingston net (satellite Internet service) and that's been reliable and good speeds for their needs (obviously much better than dial up, but they don't watch Netflix and other major sources, as they are still happy with their Bell ExpressVu service for a multiple of decades)

Highflyer104

Maybe use satellites instead?? We do it with TV! Anyway, thanks for the response. Just one person's opinion. I am fully aware that all is focused on the city/urban population. Rural Canada always gets left behind. We still have DLS internet in 2024!!!. (Max 10mbps ). The thing is...we pay the same high rates as the people in the cities, but get way less at times! That's it for me, as I believe I'm wasting my time on this anyways. Regards, folks.✌️

Jberetta2002

I have family that lives rural, near Tamworth, Ontario (north of Napanee), population of say 1000 in a 50km radius. As cell phones progressed in the early 2000's, it wasn't until 2014 or so I recall that there was reliable Telus signal. I remember going outside their house and on the far corner of their deck to make a call. Now there's a bit of population growth out there in the last decade, and more towers, better signal has come. I haven't been to deep on the backroads between there and Kingston, or heading north east towards Ottawa, but I'm sure there's still a few short spans that are low signal, but I bet it's pretty well covered now. 

Jberetta2002

Definitely hear you, unfortunately, we're considered the minority customers... Teens and young adults want access to full videos (and video calls! The amount of people I see having basic conversations in the grocery store, on a video call, is silly to me, but the technology is here-in the medium to big cities), while on the move away from home.

Bell/Telus have done a pretty fair job I feel of coverage area in Ontario. Ontario is a huge province, it takes a full 24 hrs to drive (the speed limit/obeying laws) from Hamilton to the Manitoba border... So much area outside of the TransCanada (and also 401) corridor that is low to no population. I can imagine hard to justify installing cell towers unit a number of people begin to talk about a given area. 

Highflyer104

I'm with you. Faster doesn't mean better. Would prefer they work on rural areas to improve cell service.No good to you if your cell is ready and setup for 5G, but there is no coverage, and you're in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. Or even worse, a medical emergency! Looks like everything else in our world. Can't wait to get the new stuff out, even before the "old" stuff is working correctly. One year old technology is getting "old" already in today's market. All I got is 3G, and for me it's all I need. If I want to watch a movie, I do it at home on a 50" screen!! (not 5")

Regards

cbPM51
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Super usefull map.

Tx

Amber75

Hey J_PM I would like to change my plan to the boxing week special of 50gigs for $34, but it says new activations only. Will this become available for existing customers? Can we take advantage of it?

@Sony16 

I believe it will come sooner than later. Telus is already on 2 gbps speed. I'm pretty sure PM will offer 1 gbps speeds in the next year sometime.

Sony16

Hopefully Wi-Fi calling, & 5G+ will be coming down the road!

Sonnto

Pretty excited to join the Public Mobile community! I think 5G speeds are awesome and I hope we will eventually get Wi-Fi Calling as a feature in the future! That’ll complete it for Public Mobile! Cheers!

Jberetta2002

Sure, in a few years time. Just calm down a bit here, PM was concentrating on being the basic level of service with 3g subscription plans being the majority offered. More they'll bump that up to 4g as the basic I would imagine, as that's the logical progression of technology. 

Sony16

Hi. I know 5G is a big thing for PM, and I'm glad its finally here. Will PM go the next step and offer 5G+ like its parent Telus is offering?

Thanks

Jberetta2002

You'll have to step back and realize the cost- investment put in to upgrading all the hardware for 5g, and then supply and demand...

Meanwhile, PM here just put on a deal for $40/50gb @5g service level... You'll see 4g/lte service come down to that price in a short period of time now. I'm just glad we're getting more reasonable pricing, and faster service up here in Canada now. The US has had cheaper subscription rates (factor in larger population - amount of subscribers...) 

montem

5G technology is cool, but can we  have 20$ something 5G mobile plans?

Jberetta2002

Curious if you had an equipment (phone model) change, and rough dates you're comparing the 5g service?

If you changed phones, that would be a defining hardware change (5g capable phones have been rolling out for about 4 years now?, really more normal/affordable models as of recent year or two, so if you had say, an Iphone 11, or Samsung s20 period phone, you may or may not have had the option of 5g capability - 5g model would have been labeled as such), as well as 2 years ago, was really the beginning of upgrading the repeater/transmitter hardware on most towers in urban areas, continuously - slowly rolling out that hardware changeover on more towers on the major highway corridor and into medium and smaller sized cities.

5g service really just became potentially  active for most people (outside of the GTA) this past year. In reality, the tower(s) nearest you were likely upgraded about that time when you noticed the 5g service is "better" on the Public Mobile (Telus) network. Telus shares Bell towers in Central to eastern Canada, Bell shares Telus hardware in western Canada (Telus is the major/main service provider in BC and Alberta in particular, Bell doesn't really even exist there in Edmonton for sure I know) 

Jberetta2002

I would be interested to further elaborate on your theories there. You would have to subscribe to 5g, 4g and 3g services (or have another person with comparable model of cell phone-similar signal receiving capabilities - although most use the same components really, particularly these days).

To make the valid comparison, you would have to have the 3 differing levels-separate subscription cell phones in the same square meter, some conditions/same time. I would venture to guess that you won't be able to tell a difference in speed - as you were saying, a 4g serviced cell phone, getting worse speeds compared to a 3g service phone.

This signal reception greatly has to do with ping - distance to the nearest tower(s), capacity-power of the equipment on that tower in conjunction with the amount of customers that tower is currently servicing, and even whether conditions to some extent. 

Jberetta2002

The roll out of the 5g network isn't intended to make your rural signal or speeds better... If they are upgrading the signal repeaters/amplifier on the towers that are in your local area, then it would greatly affect you.

I think most people are really overlooking the technicalities of "rolling out the 5g network"... You can search on the web and find a map of cell towers (https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=53.829109&lng=-74.536441&zoom=6&type=Roadm...)

Further break down of which transmitter/repeater has what capabilities would be nice, this map does show what frequencies it covers so I suppose that does tell you... Comparing rural areas to say, GTA? Without even looking at the map, there's obviously a larger density of towers per area on the gta, for many more users per area, and therefore they upgrade those towers first. 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@elyes_kortas25 

Goodness do I have double vision? Nope totally sober.....are you practicing copy and paste and how to reply to posts? Do you need some guidance on how to post? Otherwise oracles are pretty quick to remove repeat or "redundant" posts so lack of effort will just become a wasted effort. Let me know if you need some guidance..... ?

I'm always happy to help!

elyes_kortas25

LTE is an alternative name for 4G. What you may have experienced is a weaker 5G connection in your area as opposed to 4G, hence the difference in data speeds

Goalseeker
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

LTE is an alternative name for 4G. What you may have experienced is a weaker 5G connection in your area as opposed to 4G, hence the difference in data speeds. 

Jluong

I'm the worst when it comes to tech, but what's the difference between 5G and LTE? or is it the same? I've used data on LTE and it was fast but once it gets to 5G I found it to be slower...

mondaygirl
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I think that 5G is over hyped. I mean, even if the movie gets downloaded in a few seconds, we still need hours to watch that same movie. It's the connectivity that needs to increase. So that we get more bars in the country side.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I wish I could get a little more excited about this.  One of my accounts is running a 5G capable phone (S20FE 5G) sourced from Public Mobile no less and it cannot run on 5G unless I join Telus.  I have another phone that runs on 5G fine but is not allowed to access VoLTE.  I am being left behind.  

BTW, LTE+ is good to 1000 mbits/s and HSPA+ is good to 42 mbits/s.  

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Glad to see we finally got Voice over LTE more than anything, honestly. The difference between 100 mbps and upwards in the vast majority of uses you'd never see the difference. I think increased reliability/coverage is the most important, especially in rural areas and along highways where it's very poor now right in NL. Wi-Fi calling would help as well. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@maximum_gato wrote:

@J_PM 

Nice summary but not exactly accurate when interchanging "3G" speed and the 3G network. On average when using the 3G network for data my 3G  network speed averages between 10 to 12mbps. However when using the 4G LTE network with my "3G" plan that throttles the data speed to a maximum 3mbps I average between 1.9 to 2.5mbps.

In actuality I find the 3G network has a more reliable and stronger signal both in the city and out (camping etc...). I had a "4G" plan for a camping trip** in May that ended up lasting 3 weeks and spent all but the first day using the 3G network as the 4G LTE network signal was so weak (-113dBm at best?!!) that I just switched and stayed on the 3G network. So I can pretty much guarantee the 5G network was also as inaccessible as the 4G LTE network.

**3 different locations along the sea to sky highway corridor.

Its purely marketing 

The technicalities are being overlooked 

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I live in an open country area 15km away from the city. Some people barely get 1 bar on the HSPA and LTE bands. I'm sorry to say that 5G rolling out hasn't made much of a difference to improve the existing network coverage.

Need Help? Let's chat.