cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blog Post: Why 5G is the Future with Public Mobile

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

When it comes to technology, standing still is the same as moving backward. That's why at Public Mobile, we're not just keeping pace with change; we're leading the way with Canada's first 5G subscription phone service. Public Mobile_WhyPublic_Reliabilty_VerticalBars_5GIcon_Sand.png

What's So Special About 5G?
5G is the 'fifth generation' of mobile internet, and it's a game-changer. If you thought 4G was fast, 5G takes it to a whole new level. With speeds reaching up to 250 Mbps, it offers:

• Speed: Download your favorite shows, games, and music at lightning-fast speeds.
  • Reliability: Say goodbye to interruptions with a network that's dependable.
  • Capacity: More data means more fun, without any slowdowns.

With 5G, everything you do on your phone becomes more smooth, quick, and enjoyable. Whether you're streaming a live concert or battling in an online game, 5G is designed to keep up with your life.

Why is 3G Becoming a Thing of the Past?
While 3G has served us well, it's becoming outdated for most of today's apps and needs. 3G speed subscriptions may reach only 3 Mbps, far below the 100 Mbps of 4G and the staggering 250 Mbps of 5G.

As apps become more sophisticated, they require more bandwidth and speed. That's where 3G falls short. With the rise of 5G, we're ensuring you're always ahead of the curve.

Comparing the Generations: 3G vs. 4G vs. 5G
You might wonder what all the fuss about 5G is about. To truly appreciate the leap we're making with 5G, let's take a look at how it stacks up against 3G and 4G:

3G: The Basic Experience

• Speed: Up to 3 Mbps
  • Reliability: Suitable for basic browsing and emails
  • Capacity: Struggles with video streaming, social media, and gaming

4G: A Step Up

• Speed: Up to 100 Mbps
  • Reliability: Great for streaming and online gaming
  • Capacity: Handles most of today's needs, but could struggle in densely populated areas or large public events.

5G: The Future is Here

• Speed: Up to 250 Mbps
  • Reliability: Superfast for everything you do online
  • Capacity: Unmatched, providing a seamless experience even with demanding applications

While 3G and 4G have their places, 5G is like having the fast lane all to yourself. It's about more than just speed; it's about a smoother, more reliable experience that keeps up with your lifestyle.

Imagine downloading a full HD movie in seconds or hopping on a video call with friends or family without any disruption. That's the 5G difference. It's not just about keeping up; it's about leading the way. With Public Mobile's 5G subscription, you're not just joining the future; you're embracing a whole new level of mobile experience.

Note: Although some users may experience higher speeds than those listed, these are not guaranteed and can vary based on location, and other factors. That's why it's crucial to select the right subscription level to ensure your speed and experience meet your specific needs.

Choose Your Speed with Public Mobile
We know that one size doesn't fit all. That's why we offer various data speeds to choose from. You can opt for:

• 3G speed: For basic browsing and email.
  • 4G speed: For streaming and online gaming.
  • 5G speed: For the ultimate experience in speed and reliability.

Real-World Example:

• A user on a 3G network might struggle to stream a live sporting event without buffering, but even simple activities like conducting a basic web search could be slower or subject to buffering.
  • With 4G, the same user could watch the event in higher definition but might still experience lag in crowded areas. Web browsing and email would be much quicker compared to 3G, but the experience may vary depending on the network congestion.
  • On a 5G network, the user could enjoy the event in 4K with no interruptions, even in a packed stadium, and could even access interactive AR features for real-time statistics and replays. Web searches, video calls, and pretty much anything else you'd want to do online could happen in the blink of an eye.

Joining Public Mobile's 5G Subscription is a Breeze
Want to be part of the future? Here's how you can subscribe to Public Mobile's 5G in 4 simple steps:

1. Pick a plan: Choose what fits you best on our Subscription Plan page.
  2. Create your account: It's quick and easy.
  3. Activate with eSIM or get a SIM delivered right to your door.
  4. Download the Public Mobile app: Complete your activation, and you're all set.

Note: A wifi connection is required to activate your SIM.

A Different Public Mobile Experience
With 5G data, no overage fees, no credit checks, and no confusing contracts, we're reshaping the way you connect to the world. From lightning-fast downloads to groundbreaking applications, 5G isn't just a step forward; it's a leap into the future.

We hope this exploration of 5G has been informative, giving you a better understanding of its immense capabilities compared to 3G and 4G. More than just a technological advancement, 5G opens doors to new experiences, seamless connections, and unparalleled convenience.

Ready to be part of this exciting transformation? Choose your 5G plan with Public Mobile today and prepare to experience a whole new level of connection. Because with us, different isn't just what we do, it's who we are.

37 REPLIES 37

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I live in an open country area 15km away from the city. Some people barely get 1 bar on the HSPA and LTE bands. I'm sorry to say that 5G rolling out hasn't made much of a difference to improve the existing network coverage.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Oof, poorly worded as usual when it comes to speed vs technology.

Not only that, 5G NSA is not more reliable than 4G by any means.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM 

Nice summary but not exactly accurate when interchanging "3G" speed and the 3G network. On average when using the 3G network for data my 3G  network speed averages between 10 to 12mbps. However when using the 4G LTE network with my "3G" plan that throttles the data speed to a maximum 3mbps I average between 1.9 to 2.5mbps.

In actuality I find the 3G network has a more reliable and stronger signal both in the city and out (camping etc...). I had a "4G" plan for a camping trip** in May that ended up lasting 3 weeks and spent all but the first day using the 3G network as the 4G LTE network signal was so weak (-113dBm at best?!!) that I just switched and stayed on the 3G network. So I can pretty much guarantee the 5G network was also as inaccessible as the 4G LTE network.

**3 different locations along the sea to sky highway corridor.

Yzeguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yep. 3G speeds, even with a bump are next to useless. I upgraded to the 5G service, but I still keep my iPhone SE on 4G as it doesn’t have all the 5G antennas as some newer iPhones. I tried going back to a 3G plan a while back, but it was next to useless for me. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Nice summary article.

It would be nicer to bump up the speeds of the 3G plans.  Or just get rid of the 3G options.  Maybe 10 Mbps would be more usable these days. 

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks so much for the incredibly detailed amd thorough explanation @J_PM! 🤝🤝

Before joining Public Mobile my previous Bell 5G Plan would always get stuck loading things even at 720p on YouTube, now since switching Providers my new Public Mobile 5G Plan can stream in 1440p without any loading issues!

The Speeds with Public Mobile are great! 🙌

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Interesting post and it makes sense higher speed plans offer more efficient access to the internet but it's disappointing that there are no plans being offered in the $20-$30 range for 5G speeds from a budget carrier. 

Need Help? Let's chat.