cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one need a good deal for Telus prepaid.....1/2 price vouchers. Lower mainland BC.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Then once used come to PM please. 

Check here.   

I used used to buy off CL all the time. Also offer another $10 or $20 less. 

18 REPLIES 18

@LurganIeUk 

Who knew passing on a deal for telus vouchers would turn into a walk down memory lane? With @AE_Collector having family in your old hood of little India now....wondering if it was the same at that time? All considered trendy SOMA (south of Broadway) main street which I lived for my first 14 years in Vancouver followed by the last 16 years NOMA!

Last name was Begg. Aileen, Bernice & Gord are their children. Youngest Gordon born in 1945. Girls were both born before WW2.

The type of Electro-Mechanical switching equipment primarily used in BC Allowed for short cuts to dialing within your exchange particularly in smaller exchanges and towns. This could be different from one exchange to the next, frequently allowing you to just dial the last 4 or 5 digits within your exchange. Electronic brought an end to that.

This collage of pictures is inside one of the small rural trailers providing up to 200 lines in small communities.

EBC3E8BF-3961-4AA2-B40F-0024A3F6D936.jpeg

@AE_Collector wrote:

My aunt and uncle lived on Main Street at 47th.

I will look to see if I have the conversion date for FRaser and ELgin to FAirfax 7 digit numbers.... tomorrow. The push was on to standardize North America on 7 digit dialling with the new 3 digit area codes by the end of the 1950’s as direct distance dialling began to be introduced. Customers could dial their own long distance calls then without the assistance of an operator.

It should have been one of these in your alcove.

3C6F9C04-71F2-465E-9745-471639E0517F.jpeg

Yes! Phone is correct. What is aunt and uncle last name? Their children would have gone to Van Horne Elementary and John Oliver Secondary High. 

Just to add about dialling when we first moved to Pitt Meadows in 1973ish. Everyone was on the 465 exchange and you could call any one on the 465 exchange only (from the 465 exchange) using the last 4 digits.  

Ah good, I have accurate dates for conversions in Vancouvers FAirfax exchange area. 

The Fraser exchange in Vancouver was a manual (operators) exchange until it became the second exchange in Vancouver city to convert to dial on November 1, 1941. The Dial exchange used 6 digit phone numbers and remained as the FRaser exchange (no Exchange name change came with the conversion). 

On May 5, 1952 the ELgin exchange was added in the same exchange building as the FRaser exchange was full with 10,000 possible numbers having been assigned. In todays terms this would be like an “overlay” of FRaser with Elgin.

On March 1, 1959 Both 6 digit exchanges were converted to FAirfax 7 digit numbers with the new 3rd digit being added making them Fairfax 5 and FAirfax 7 numbers. 

AE_Collector

My aunt and uncle lived on Main Street at 47th.

I will look to see if I have the conversion date for FRaser and ELgin to FAirfax 7 digit numbers.... tomorrow. The push was on to standardize North America on 7 digit dialling with the new 3 digit area codes by the end of the 1950’s as direct distance dialling began to be introduced. Customers could dial their own long distance calls then without the assistance of an operator.

It should have been one of these in your alcove.

3C6F9C04-71F2-465E-9745-471639E0517F.jpeg

@AE_Collector wrote:

It is a European phone and they didn’t really use letters as part of phone numbers there very much. FRaser and ELgin were 6 digit exchanges as that exchange area was the second in Vancouver (city) to be converted to dial in 1941 or 1942. ELgin was an addition to FRaser once FRaser was full at 10,000 numbers. But conversion to 7 digit dialling was just around the corner by then which turned them both into FAirfax numbers. For example FAirfax 5 may have been all of the FRaser numbers and FAirfax 7 may have been all the ELgin numbers.

AE_Collector

39CAF1CC-44D4-4C3C-A6A6-2FA7CD4B510A.jpeg

Right ON!!! I lived at 50th and Ontario...close to Main and then next main street was Fraser. So we were of a poor family with no phone or TV.  I can remember it being installed in an alcove in the wall that was in an open closet by the front door. I was probably 6 years old or so. A phone was not to be used then like it is today!!! Eventually we had it moved to a central spot in the house when we had the house raised for a basement to be added. So all of our friends were FRaser and we were ELgin like you say....so our Elgin 2124 was changed for some reason to FAirfax 5 2124 and then became 325-2124. But don't dial it!! I won't answer!!!

It is a European phone and they didn’t really use letters as part of phone numbers there very much. FRaser and ELgin were 6 digit exchanges as that exchange area was the second in Vancouver (city) to be converted to dial in 1941 or 1942. ELgin was an addition to FRaser once FRaser was full at 10,000 numbers. But conversion to 7 digit dialling was just around the corner by then which turned them both into FAirfax numbers. For example FAirfax 5 may have been all of the FRaser numbers and FAirfax 7 may have been all the ELgin numbers.

AE_Collector

39CAF1CC-44D4-4C3C-A6A6-2FA7CD4B510A.jpeg

@AE_Collector wrote:

I keep my mom and my in-laws cell phones going for them for emergency purposes so if I can snag a bargoon, all the better! Thanks again @LurganIeUk 

I prefer marketplace for selling things, t seems to be a bit better organized though I don't know what the viewership comparisons are like. I am working at reducing the inventory of landline phones lurking around my place and always have some on Marketplace. At the rate I’m going my surplus (surplus to my phone collection) may all be re-homed in 20 years or so. That ought to give me 5 years afterwards to enjoy retirement!

363516C4-7431-4F8F-95F2-3FB5E43B45CF.jpeg

How do you dial Fairfax with that phone??? Or Elgin. That one must be pre 1950!!!!

I keep my mom and my in-laws cell phones going for them for emergency purposes so if I can snag a bargoon, all the better! Thanks again @LurganIeUk 

I prefer marketplace for selling things, t seems to be a bit better organized though I don't know what the viewership comparisons are like. I am working at reducing the inventory of landline phones lurking around my place and always have some on Marketplace. At the rate I’m going my surplus (surplus to my phone collection) may all be re-homed in 20 years or so. That ought to give me 5 years afterwards to enjoy retirement!

363516C4-7431-4F8F-95F2-3FB5E43B45CF.jpeg

It happens every now and then on Craigslist. People sometimes buy the wrong one and retailers won’t take returns.  The last ones I bought....the young lady found them in a shoe box and she said they were very old.  One of the numbers was unclear so she just gave it to me.  I called Telus and they told me what codes took and by that I could isolate the problem one. I then identified what one number was unclear and then had 10 chances of guessing the right one  You can do on the phone itself too. That ad took a long time because it said codes......not vouchers. Search for Telus prepaid, Telus vouchers, or lastly Telus codes. 

Most of the funds on my Telus prepaid were at half price or less. 

I never thought of Etransfer scenario. Good one.  I just sold some items that way on Craigslist too. And then I mailed them.   There is more honest people out there than not.  

In this instance neither of us had to head out in the 30+ heat, did it from the comfort of my non air conditioned home. They had been his sisters and she asked him to sell them for her. I didn’t pry for any more details. I’m hoping it is rare to be able to obtain these fraudulently but not sure of the whole story. Presumably she is no longer living in the area.

Take a bunch of 10s. Arrange beforehand to pay for each one as it is accepted by the system. Meet somewhere with free wifi, take a laptop or tablet. Know the account numbers and passwords and you are off to the races. I have done it many times and has always been a good experience. 

Is the person possibly on vacation..

Update:

I did enough chatting back and forth with the seller that we were both comfortable enough to do this without a meet up anywhere. I was going to go with sending an e-transfer for a smaller voucher then use it to top up the Telus Prepaid account and if all went well, ideally move up to a larger amount in maybe 2-3 transactions. That way if it was a scam I wasn’t out much and there Would be more incentive for the seller to hang around to complete the deal Instead of running with a small amount of cash. BUT, they were 2 - $100 vouchers, no small ones to work up from.

After we had chatted back and forth he was slightly concerned that they may have expired as they were bought 14 months ago. I wouldn’t think the voucher would have a time limit though and could see nothing about that on line. He was feeling comfortable enough to send me the first PIN to confirm that it was still good which it was, I have topped up the first account. Extremely easy to do. I just transferred him the payment and the second PIN should arrive soon by text. 

So thanks for the heads up @LurganIeUk  and thanks to others for input. I have my moms and my in-laws $3/month prepaid phones covered through early 2023 now!

AE_Collector

Thanks everyone. So as this person describes it, providing code numbers, load to account and pay him, as long as he is willing to give some space to do this and in a public area during the day etc there likely isn’t too much to worry about.

I have sent a message asking the denominations of the top up codes, I think Telus Prepaid typically has $10, $25 & $100 though there may also be a $50. 

So far no reply but it is Sunday morning. The listing was 23 days ago so they could well have been sold 22 days ago and he is just another of the Craigs List sellers who cant be bothered to take a listing down. If he has smaller denominations I would consider e-transferring a small amount to see if I get a code back. If so we could do it that way once he has proven he can be trusted. Hardly worth vanishing with $12.50 Payment for a $25 code (his half price offer) and walking away from the rest of the $100 sale for $200 worth of codes. That is if accepts e-transfers. If not, maybe that’s another red flag.

AE_Collector

What are the possible problems here? Ive never even used vouchers to top up so can see it being a slow painful process to do two phones with someone hovering over me to get paid! Not to mention the inconvenience of meeting a stranger at this point in time. Tempting though.

Possible scams would be

1) stranger attempts to rip you off (cash for voucher codes which are invalid or already-activated or have been copied), or

2) stranger attempts physical attack (steal your phone when you attempt to confirm voucher codes), or
3) stranger attempts identity attack (tries to obtain your Self-Serve account number, SIM card number, credit card number, etc).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector 

Log in to their Telus accounts and go to the voucher entry screen. Open a couple tabs or a couple browsers. Then when you're with the guy, you're ready. It's a lot like PM's. Who knew.

Meet somewhere in the shade and in a busy public place. Make sure there are cameras pointed at you. A really good place is in front of all the cameras at the cop shop.

Edit: oh...and bring someone with you

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

I am going to need to top up both my parents and my in-laws Telus Prepaid accounts by the end of the year. Have them on the $3/month plus 75c 911 fee (I think). So $100 top up each would last over two years.

What are the possible problems here? Ive never even used vouchers to top up so can see it being a slow painful process to do two phones with someone hovering over me to get paid! Not to mention the inconvenience of meeting a stranger at this point in time. Tempting though.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.