cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G & other service standards & definitions

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

We call the speed for the slower data plans "3G" which makes sense because it's the rough equivalent of the maximum possible speed when using 3G technology, which is 3 Mbps.

But with the introduction of service with data speeds that are described by PM as "up to 30x faster" (than 3G) & also as "download speeds up to 100 Mbps", the service is still throttled to 4G data speeds which is up to 100 Mbps, which is different from 4G LTE or LTE+.

Full 4G LTE+ service can be data speeds up to 750 Mbps to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps).

And for reference, 5G speeds are supposed to potentially be several Gbps. And then 6G which is currently under development should be even faster.

So with all of these different standards based on technology of the past that PM & other cell service providers use as maximum data transfer (throttled) rates, why are we still seeing PM & others throttle all the way down to 3G level standard of 3 Mbps? That to me would be a lot like selling a phone from years ago like a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (which I still have but largely don't use anymore) - slow as heck, old technology, but it does the job, & it's good enough for many, including me, even though I recently switched to 4G-level service. And if consumers use their data faster, wouldn't they be more likely to upgrade their plans for more data & spend more money? Cell service providers could probably throttle down to any data rate they want - such as 6 Mbps (double 3G), 50 Mbps (half 4G or 3.5G perhaps?), or maybe 250 Mbps (call it super-4G?).

I'll never understand cell providers in Canada. They certainly make a lot of money, but they generate tons of complaints - be it official complaints to the CRTC or informal grumblings on forums & social media, like mine.

3 REPLIES 3

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious you're right - I should lower my expectations for any oligarchy providing an essential service to ZERO. Even low cost ways that would increase customer satisfaction do not need to be implemented, so why raise customer expectations?

I never thought about the freeing up of space or bandwidth on lower tiers of service. Seems to make sense. But throttling for the purpose of keeping bandwidth free for others sounds like a poor excuse to not upgrade their networks.

I've never looked into what real-world speeds users typically get. Or how 5G typically compares to 4G LTE in practice.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bluejaywpg 

Lol....you realize you are asking why an oligarchy would throttle data speed while charging some of the highest data rates in world? Seriously though.....in simple terms its about network traffic. Throttling allows for management of bandwidth so that there is enough to go around without it adversely affecting user experience.

Take for example the suggestion to switch to using the 3G network if throttled 4G LTE (3mbps) is not fast enough for the task at hand. Public mobile's 3G network speed can reach 20+mbps even 30+mbps....depending on network traffic. Most of the time it averages 10 - 12mbps. That's 3 or 4 times our throttled 4G LTE data speed mainly from the lack of traffic as nearly everyone uses the 4G LTE network. Now top tier customers are transitioning to the 5G network that will eventually free up space on the 4G LTE network.

When it comes to data speed there is difference in what the maximum speed achievable is and what the average user will experience. If only one person uses the 4G LTE network then they can likely recieve download speeds of up to 750mbps but 5 million users will slow that speed down to 50 - 70mbps. In the US the 4G LTE network speed for AT&T and T-Mobile averages 30 to 35mbps because of network traffic and the lack of throttled data service plans. And they no longer have the 3G network to fall back on.....

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

From:  https://www.opensignal.com/reports/2022/08/canada/mobile-network-experience

"[Vendor_B] wins the Download Speed Experience award as our users on it’s network saw the fastest overall download speed, averaging 69.5 Mbps"

If a provider has an average speed of 69.5 gets them the best overall network, then all those theoretical speeds of 750, 1000, etc. really doesn't mean much - it just means my monthly quota will get used up faster.

Need Help? Let's chat.