cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi calling

bartrosser
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi. I had an s7 with public mobile and I never had a problem.  now I have an s20 and it wont let me receive any pictures via text.  only when I turn data on can I receive a pic through text.   is this normal?   thank you-- B

4 REPLIES 4

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Install the app "Samsung Band Selection". There's a setting that lets you toggle that nice S7 feature. I lost it too and missed it with my newer phone. (not that I do very many pics but still) I was fiddling and investigating other things and came across that toggle.

It's otherwise entirely normal to need data on. The toggle in effect very quickly goes in and out of cell data to deal with the MMS. Also make sure the texting app has it's own toggle on.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@bartrosser  It's possible you previously had RCS "Rich Communication Service" enabled on your old S7. This is an optionally enabled feature of the Android/Google messages app to route messages to other people with RCS enabled over your internet/wifi/data connection, rather than the mobile network SMS/MMS gateways. (Similar but completely incompatible with iMessages on apple devices...)

The Samsung texting app may be slightly different, but in the Google messages app, this setting is under Settings > Chat features > Enable chat features

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bartrosser 

Yeah, you are receiving MMS, which does need data to be turned on but won't use any data up just like what @softech said. But this is totally normal, as I have the same thing happen with me. Funny enough, when I was with bell a long time ago now, they didn't even let me send or receive MMS at all. Data on or off. So when I found out I could send and receive MMS but just need data turned on but wont be used, that was a STEP UP for me XD

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bartrosser   this issue is not Wifi-Calling related.  And Wifi calling is not supported on PM

For your problem, what you are getting is MMS.  It needs Mobile Data to be turned on to receive.  Although it needs Data to be turned on,  it won't count towards your  data usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.