cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why would someone have to put "1" before my number for a local call?

g_s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

apparently, one (local) person has trouble calling me and sometimes finds it necessary to prepend a "1" as if it were a long distance call

they also told me they hard a voice indicating that it would be a long distance call

we have the same area code—what's up with that?

7 REPLIES 7

g_s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, same city. The caller has a landline and has had the same number for a long time so I imagine it would have to be an attribute of my carrier / plan causing the issue.

Grinch
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When I need to add a 1, I always add +1. 

@Handy1 wrote:

@g_s  I have to add a 1 in front of all my contacts this is normal for me for the past almost 5 years or more 

There is no requirement to dial the 1.  Also, for local calls. that recorded message isn't supposed to be played back to the customer.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@g_s  I have to add a 1 in front of all my contacts this is normal for me for the past almost 5 years or more 

@hTideGnow wrote:

actually it doesn't hurt to include 1. He won't get charged long distance.

From the information presented so far, we don't know that for sure.  The person making the call could be at a different carrier and have a plan that doesn't include provincial or national-wide long distance.

@g_s wrote:

apparently, one (local) person has trouble calling me and sometimes finds it necessary to prepend a "1" as if it were a long distance call

they also told me they hard a voice indicating that it would be a long distance call

we have the same area code—what's up with that?

Having the same area code doesn't mean that a call isnt't ong distance. Are both phone numbers assigned to the same city?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @g_s 

actually it doesn't hurt to include 1. He won't get charged long distance.   i thinks this is going to be the standard way of calling.  Some phones actually add the 1 for each call if your don't have it there 

Need Help? Let's chat.