cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird text from 611

sekelus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

ive just received a text message telling me to go to your website to make an update to ensure uninterrupted service..

i dont see any update on your website so ?

17 REPLIES 17

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

@sekelus We are sending this notification SMS to our Auto Pay customers to update their card info if it's going to expire. I would advise you to check the card on file, but if your payment info is up to date, you can ignore it. 

PegW: That's a helpful confirmation of receiving the text. I think it's a good thing of the company to do.

@PegW   Just ignore the text if you are certain the card is not going to expire yet.  Seems like there was a glitch and quiet some users got the text  🙂

PegW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got the same message.  My credit card was going to expire before my next auto pay.

@sekelus 

The msg from 611 is normal. And probably legit. Although you evidently can already find your way onto this website, there's no reason to click on the advertised link.

I summarized a list of these PM communications a while back for reference. Though I've lost interest in keeping it updated, a few more numbers could be added.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/quot-Public-Mobile-here-quot-numbers/m-p/...

@14ALL41 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

But exactly what benefit would a scammer gain from fraudulently using PM's number to send you a link to PM's website?

How do you know you are really at PM site clicking some links? 

Not hard.  there are so many ways to confirm. 

but of course,  I always advise people to go directly to the link yourself and not use the link provided, especially if it is a shortened URL or those embedded into the text 

14ALL41
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Korth wrote:

But exactly what benefit would a scammer gain from fraudulently using PM's number to send you a link to PM's website?

How do you know you are really at PM site clicking some links? Crooks are smart these days.

@softech wrote:

@sekelus  BE CAREFUL!!!  could be scam

If you want to check, DO NOT use the link on the text, just login My Account yourself using the link https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/  , then whatever the text ask you to check, check it yourself on My Account

Yes, it could be a scam. You can never be too careful these days.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@sekelus wrote:

ive just received a text message telling me to go to your website to make an update to ensure uninterrupted service..

Update? Never received such message from 611. Maybe they are letting you know 'Just a heads up...' or 'Congrats! Rewards...' or 'Thank you for your payment'

but not an update?

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yeah most likely a glitchy false alarm, you should be good 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@sekelus - will this be your first renewal coming up? And if so, did the text from 611 look like this:

esjliv_0-1651421819621.png

If so, everyone gets that before renewal time whether you are on Autopay or not. Just reminders from your friendly neighbourhood mobile provider.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sekelus wrote:

i dont see any update on your website so ?

When in doubt - just ignore it -- the commandoes are not going to storm your house.

@sekelus  If the message is about credit card expiring and you certainly yours is still good, no worry.  PM sent out some false alarm lately.   

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @sekelus   I think if i you have been receiving 611 messages and this one show up in the same chat thread, it could be ok.  But still, be careful.  After you clicked on it on your phone, the browser will launch, go back and examine the address bar and make sure if it is the correct one.  If in doubt, don't proceed

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If it's actually from 611 then I'm sure it's legit. I don't seem to think that shortcodes can be spoofed. But I could be wrong.

Is the message saying something about the credit card here soon expiring?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sekelus  BE CAREFUL!!!  could be scam

If you want to check, DO NOT use the link on the text, just login My Account yourself using the link https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/  , then whatever the text ask you to check, check it yourself on My Account

Need Help? Let's chat.