cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

way to suspend account for a few months

Vlad27
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there a way to suspend my account for a few months without losing my number and perks

19 REPLIES 19

@Vlad27 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So I have 2 options:

Suspend account by disabling autopay (and just not paying??)

or

Report it lost/stolen.

Either way, reactivate/pay within 90 days or account becomes deleted?

Please see the earlier mentioned condition that disabling autopay won't suspend the account if there are already enough funds in the Public Mobile account balance to process the renewal.

@Vlad27 

Exactly but dont leave reactivating to the last day....give yourself some leeway just in case.

Vlad27

Thanks for the reply. So I have 2 options:

Suspend account by disabling autopay (and just not paying??)

or

Report it lost/stolen.

Either way, reactivate/pay within 90 days or account becomes deleted?

@Vlad27 

Everything remains intact except you don't earn rewards for the time that you are suspended and don't pay for so if your rewards cover your plan amount or most of your plan amount then suspending has no advantage. Suspending for more than 60 days will delay your next loyalty reward bump up by that amount of time.

@Vlad27 

I do this all the time. I prefer to use lost/stolen so that you can still earn the autopay reward for the last paid 30 days of service and when done before midnight eastern the night before renewal keeps your voicemail active so you can still allow callers to your pm number think the number is active and in service, hear whatever message you choose ie. " I am out of the country at the moment. Please leave a message and I will contact you when I am able." Then you can use a voip like fongo to access your voicemail and even retrieve verification codes sent by voice call rather than SMS.

It is important to resume your account service via lost/stolen several days before day 90 in case you run into unscheduled maintenance on the self serve site/611/1 855 4PUBLIC number that could prevent you from unsuspending (resuming). paying and reactivating your service on day 89/90 day.

Vlad27

you can still access the portal online? Did the perks (ie bonus/rewards/discounts) remain intact?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vlad27 : Yes. I used to do that. I called it my "dormant" account. The policy is that an account can remain in suspension for 90 days and get reactivated before then. After that, it's dead.

Vlad27

Thanks for the reply. I was mulling over the many solutions that was brought up.

Im not sure this is the way to go, but i was thinking of disabling autopay and going 85 days without paying, i guess this would suspend my account. Enabling before the 90th day would reanimate my account.....with exactly the way it was? Would i be able to access my account thru the portal online??  Would that be something anyone would know?

Thanks !!

@wetcoaster 

True. But I think very few sign up many months before becoming a customer and may well have already been a customer many months before signing up but I would hazard a guess that the rewards are still at least $4.

@darlicious wrote:

@softech 

I understand offering the option to port out but the loss of rewards seems hardly worth it to me unless you are newer pm customer. Considering the OP has a minimum $4 in rewards currently coming up on $5. Suspending and reactivating 3 times over the course of a little less than a year will cost the OP $33 or less to keep their account and phone number.

Just a comment not a criticism of your option.😃

@darlicious 

While I'm with you on the advice I'm rather curious about your numbers... The one and only post by the OP does not supply them. And I'm careful with assumptions based on community account sign-up.

@softech 

I understand offering the option to port out but the loss of rewards seems hardly worth it to me unless you are newer pm customer. Considering the OP has a minimum $4 in rewards currently coming up on $5. Suspending and reactivating 3 times over the course of a little less than a year will cost the OP $33 or less to keep their account and phone number.

Just a comment not a criticism of your option.😃

@Vlad27 also, if you are suspending for long time, you might also consider to port your line to a VoIP provider such as Fongo.   It will cost you $25 to port in but free to port out if you stay for longer than 3 months.  There might be a cost of $10 Sim charge when you reactivate.

So, depends on how long you need to suspend, it might worth it.  Also, during this time, you can use Fongo app on the phone with WiFi or Data.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Vlad27 wrote:

Is there a way to suspend my account for a few months without losing my number and perks

@Vlad27 

If you pay by credit card and has autopay set up, you need to either remove your card or disable autopay. Then the account will be suspended for 89 days starting from the missed renewal payment. You'll have to make a payment a few days before that to prevent the account from closing for good and losing your number.

If you have enough Available funds in the account to cover the plan cost, you'll have to use the Suspend service feature (in Lost/Stolen page) otherwise the system will still take the $$ there to renew the plan. The account will also be suspended for 89 days and you'll need to make a payment and use "Resume service" to reactivate the account.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Vlad27 

Options for your account and service....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. Be sure to perform all call forwarding while in Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

@Vlad27 If you are going to suspend, reactivate and repeat this couple times, make sure you change your plan to $15 first to lower the cost

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Vlad27 

If you don't wish to wait for the account to suspend, (though you may wish to so you don't lose the remaining days of the cycle you're on), you can use the Lost/Stolen feature.

Under your self-serve, go to "Plan and Add-Ons", there you'll find a Lost/Stolen option.

It's crucial that you remove this feature BEFORE 90 days has passed or you will lose both the service and the number.

[ EDIT:   Like just posted by @esjliv above. ]

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Vlad27 wrote:

@Vlad27 

If you have enough funds in your Available Funds balance for your plan to renew on the next renewal you can report your phone Lost/Stolen, see here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/lost-or-stolen-phone

This will prevent your plan from renewing or taking any more Available Funds to reactivate your plan.

BUT, insure you reactivate it before the 90 days are up - OR YOUR NUMBER AND ACCOUNT are lost.

NOTE: when using the Lost/Stolen feature you may need to contact CSA when you reactivate to have the rewards applied on your plan when you reactivate it again.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/what-happens-when-you-miss-a-payment

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vlad27 

you can change your plan to $15 to keep your number,

* no need to miss a payment, when your plan is Reactivated or Suspended, all you have to do is replenish your balance to keep the same plan. You have up to 90 days to make a payment and in doing so your payment cycle will restart and your service will resume. After 90 days of non-payment, your account will be permanently deactivated, which means you will:

• Lose access to your phone number, and won’t be able to transfer it to a new provider in the future.
  • Need a new Public Mobile SIM card if you decide to activate a new Public Mobile account.

Reactivate a suspended plan (publicmobile.ca)

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Vlad27 

you can let your account expires without making payment.  Your account will than be suspended and can be suspended for 90 days or your phone number will be lost

Try to make a payment and reactivate no later than 85 days 

you can then activate for 1 month and let it suspend again after for another 85 days like that

Need Help? Let's chat.