cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vouchers at canadian tire?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

has anyone been able to buy vouchers at actual canadian tire stores?  we don't have gas bars in my city.  want to try and take advantage of teh shoppers 10% off Canadian tire gift cards if its still available.  

35 REPLIES 35

seirin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't know if all the rules are at the same CT but I bought mine last year and the limit was $1 each. I was charged $2 for purchasing $150 last spring.

@darlicious Oh yeah Molson park! I went there to see Our Lady Peace and the Hip way back in 2003. Wow, that makes me feel old. I went to the last Edge FEst that was held at Molson park as well when Finger 11 was at their peak.

@Naepalm 

You cannot redeem or earn canadian tire money on gift cards. However you can purchase Canadian tire gift cards from RCSS  and SDM when they have a promotion usually buy $300 worth of Canadian tire gift cards and recieve a free $25 Canadian tire gift card. Then buy vouchers or use the RDR service. And dang it that reminds me i was going to buy some marks cards today....they were 15% off!

The old Molson park was always good for a rock show....i saw Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, Sha,na,na and others there for the 20th anniversary of woodstock......oh the days of double sided m.c. escher's twisted heads! Now that's was some great artwork.

@Howitzer are there deals with GC? or do you get the GC through your points? 

@will13am @Rockdaddy22 

Im no where near Barrie Ontario. But I hear its a nice place to stop on the way up to Sudbury....LOL

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/479165#...

@Howitzer 

They are indeed. If u want you could add them to my voucher catalogue or I will later if you prefer.

But they are your experience so sharing there will be helpful!

Howitzer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was just wondering what happened to the $200 RTR, of which there are several, albeit old, threads that I found on here mentioning it. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or that my cashier choose a wrong option in the system to limit me to $100.

I used a CT GC which I got for 7.7% off to pay for my topup, so I agree the $1 (ie 1%) fee is negligible.

Hopefully these posts help anyone who searches for RTR in the future 🙂

@Howitzer 

Sounds like that is the case....$1 fee is pretty reasonable. If you use a koho card for the top up you'll get 2.5% cashback for pm payments and you can use it to register for autopay for the $2 reward.

Howitzer

Perhaps... Has RTR been replaced by "Instant Top-Up"? Hence the $100 limit now?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/pay-for-your-services-in-retail

Instant top-ups are the best way to pay in retail with the flexibility to top-up what you want between $10 to $100 and the simplicity of having it added right to your account without needing a PIN. Simply tell the cashier how much you want topped up and provide them with your phone number. Instant top-ups are currently available at most Canadian Tire Gas, Esso, Gateway Newstands, and MacEwen locations. Contact your local store for details.

@Rockdaddy22  @Howitzer 

This info is only supplied by each individual gas bar as to what the maximum payment can be made as each franchisee can set their maximum and minimum amounts.

Rockdaddy22

I haven’t done it in so long since Canadiantire gift card deals are hard to come by these days so I stopped doing it. So unfortunately I can’t help you

Howitzer

I've read a lot of (old and dated) posts surrounding RTR (real time reload). I went to CTC Gas Bar yesterday to do RTR with some GC's. Cashier was of course confused, they called their manager and they did manage to get through it in the end.

However, I asked them to do $200 which I thought was the limit. I had already paid with the GC and then when they went onto some other machine and asked for my phone number I was told the limit is actually $100. So then they charged me another $1 to do the second $100 transaction.

I know this thread is from 2 years ago but can anyone confirm the $200 limit has now become $100, or did my cashier choose the wrong option on that other terminal? TIA

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

@Ilovecats wrote:

Which Canadian Tire gas bars are you using? I went to Capilano and they said they only take cash & debit and no more gift cards.

I’m in a small town near Barrie Ontario and I’ve never had a problem. I guess you’ll have to try a couple more. 

I am in a big town near Barrie Ontario and my local Canadian tire gas bar takes gift cards also.  Having said that a lot of places don't like using company cards to pay for others cards.

Rockdaddy22

@Ilovecats wrote:

Which Canadian Tire gas bars are you using? I went to Capilano and they said they only take cash & debit and no more gift cards.

I’m in a small town near Barrie Ontario and I’ve never had a problem. I guess you’ll have to try a couple more. 

Ilovecats

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi there! 

Thank you for your reaching out to us. Can you please send  us a private message along with your phone# and PIN# for assistance. Thank you! 

c4ndl3burn3r

I got one of these at Canadian Tire for $200 - the exact same thing as in the pic, nothing else.  I log in to my account and cannot see anything added to  my account. Was I supposed to get something else back as well from the cashier??? Now what do I do???

Thank you in advance for any help.

jonauyeung

For anyone considering this, don't do what a bunch of us who moved/are moving to Koodo did and top-up too much, as that money will just line the bank accounts of Telus if they ever decide to "migrate" you.   I used to advocate topping up the max of $200 to minimize the processing fee, boy did that ever backfire.    Top-up just enough to get thru your next service period and consider that $1 a cost of getting 10% off.  

Rockdaddy22

This is the RTR version, it gets added directly to the account via a phone number.

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Korthwrote:

@Jornowrote:
To add, from my experience (in-store), you cannot use Canadian Tire money to pay for vouchers and you do not earn Canadian Tire money for buying vouchers.

Perhaps this is a new policy.  Perhaps it varies by province, perhaps from store to store.

I've never had to pay a $1 surcharge when buying Public Mobile vouchers at my local Canadian Tire store (in Chilliwack, BC).  A big store, not a little gas bar.

They've always given me some of their Canadian Tire "money" on every purchase.  Except for the one time I used a pile of their "money" (collected after about a year of hoarding, lol) to pay for a PM voucher outright.

@Korth, thanks for motivating me to dig out my receipt 🙂

I was able to use Canadian Tire money for my voucher purchase - the amount used paid the taxes.  I was not charged a $1 surcharge for my voucher purchase in-store (in BC); however, I did not earn Canadian Tire money.  Maybe policy does vary from store to store.

Note: I added an edit to my previous post.

Rockdaddy22

@ShawnC13wrote:

@mimmowrote:

Thanks @Anonymous but my question was for actual stores not gas bars.

I did call and they did not know about pm vouchers. So I went in store and actually found them. 5$,$20and 40$.

Went to shoppers drug mart bought $150 of gift cards 10% off. The went back to Canadian tire. And scanned in first voucher and then went to use gift card.  Error message came up on comp. Can't buy vouchers using gift cards.

Guess I will have to find something  to buy at CT now.

@will13am, and @Rockdaddy22, you guys have experience with this.  Are in store vouchers different then what you are buying at the Gas bars as I know they ahve taken advantage of the sale price on CT gift cards

I would definitely try a gas bar, I’ve never been denied, but I have heard of it happening. 

Rockdaddy22

That’s something I’ve never tried, getting Canadiantire money buying vouchers. The best way is to do the RTR option, it’s a Real Time voucher. You provide your phone number and they can load whatever dollar amount you want. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Jornowrote:
To add, from my experience (in-store), you cannot use Canadian Tire money to pay for vouchers and you do not earn Canadian Tire money for buying vouchers.

Perhaps this is a new policy.  Perhaps it varies by province, perhaps from store to store.

I've never had to pay a $1 surcharge when buying Public Mobile vouchers at my local Canadian Tire store (in Chilliwack, BC).  A big store, not a little gas bar.

They've always given me some of their Canadian Tire "money" on every purchase.  Except for the one time I used a pile of their "money" (collected after about a year of hoarding, lol) to pay for a PM voucher outright.

mimmo

@Jornowrote:

Had I seen your post earlier, I could have saved you a trip @mimmo 😞

@Jorno  why wereyou not on the forum when i needed you 🙂  lol.  You would have also saved me 150$ in CT gift cards that i bought from shoppers.    i guess will get my dad to bring my car in to get the senior discount on their oil changes.   🙂

Jorno

@mimmowrote:

Thanks @Anonymous but my question was for actual stores not gas bars.

I did call and they did not know about pm vouchers. So I went in store and actually found them. 5$,$20and 40$.

Went to shoppers drug mart bought $150 of gift cards 10% off. The went back to Canadian tire. And scanned in first voucher and then went to use gift card.  Error message came up on comp. Can't buy vouchers using gift cards.

Guess I will have to find something  to buy at CT now.

Had I seen your post earlier, I could have saved you a trip @mimmo 😞

Edit: looking back at my receipt, I was able to use Canadian Tire money for my voucher purchase.  The amount used paid the taxes.

@mimmowrote:

So my understanding now  is gas bar is different than Canadian tire store. 😞

@will13am was renewing a friend's account and thought could save them 10%, was not planning on storing funds in account.

Maybe the stores are wise to this idea of using discount cards to buy other cards instead of in store products.  Out here there are gas stations and so we can use the cards to buy gas even if topping up cellular service is not possible.  I have a boat load of Canadian Tire gift cards that will being going to buy gas which still saves money just the same. 

mimmo

So my understanding now  is gas bar is different than Canadian tire store. 😞

@will13am was renewing a friend's account and thought could save them 10%, was not planning on storing funds in account.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I am able to use CT gift cards to get vouchers at GAS BAR.  Done this multiple times in 2 different gas bars in Edmonton.

@bryclopswrote:

I got a surprise today when I looked at the gas bar receipt today from when I went there yesterday.  They charge a $1 retail processing fee on every voucher you buy.  The largest value voucher you can buy is $48. 

This has been my exact experience.  I buy vouchers at the local Canadian Tire gas bar and their machine is set up with various fixed amounts with the largest being $48.  Each purchase is subject to $1 Canadian Tire tax.  I asked the attendant about real time reload wich supposed to enable the customer to select any amount up to $200, but he gave me the I don't understand what you are talking about look.  @Rockdaddy22 who is the master with this kind of stuff was going to ask the place where he gets the RTRs done and see if he can give me some insights on how to teach the attendants at my station how to work the machine.  In the mean time, giving back a couple of percent to Canadian Tire is okay as they are still sponsoring an 8% savings for us.  We must not harm the hosts, lol

@mimmo, I would recommend against storing cash in a non refundable account.  I nearly got bitten hard when the migration order was issued in February. 

Dan

Yes, there is a $1 processing fee at CT Gas Bars for each voucher. For me, I buy a $200 voucher, and with tax and the fee it comes out at $227. You need to buy a PM RTM voucher, where you give them your phone number and the $200 gets deposited into your account directly. The other option in their POS device is PM PIN, which are the vouchers you need to enter into your account after you buy, those you cannot do $200 in one shot. When I consider the 10% discount, the $1 fee is not a problem.

I did not know that the actual Canadian Tire stores carry these vouchers, I thought it is only CT Gas Bars. Not all Gas Bar employees are willing to do it with a gift card, some Gas Bars only do it with Cash/Debit (I've been to two such Gas Bars). If one Gas Bar won't do it for me, I go to another one.

Need Help? Let's chat.