cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using WhatsApp abroad

Jsb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I understand the PM network only covers Canada and the US.   When I am traveling abroad, will WhatsApp recognize my Canadian phone number associated with the PM plan if I am using a local data plan or WIFI?

5 REPLIES 5

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Jsb I highly recommend you install a VoIP app such as Fongo which will work from anywhere you have internet connection. Before leaving Canada, forward your PM number to Fongo's number. You will be able to receive calls made to your PM number. If you ever have to use a phone call for 2FA authentication, it will work fine. 

@Jsb No you don't need to leave your PM sim in your phone. You can take the PM sim card out and insert a new sim, as long as you don't try to initiate WhatsApp with the new sim. If you delete the app you're out of luck, but as long as the app is already running you're fine.

Jsb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do I have to leave the PM sim card in my iPhone or could it be removed and be replaced with a local sim card?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Yes you can, just don't delete the app or sign out of your account. Once it's setup you're good to go on wifi or with a local sim. 

@Jsb wrote:

I understand the PM network only covers Canada and the US.   When I am traveling abroad, will WhatsApp recognize my Canadian phone number associated with the PM plan if I am using a local data plan or WIFI?

I suspect that if a different SIM card is installed, you'll have to go through the Whatsapp phone number verfification process again, meaning that you won't be able to receive your Whatsapp messsages.  If you keep your Public Mobile SIM card in your phone, that should be fine to use it on Wi-Fi.

Need Help? Let's chat.