cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use the number abroad

sssopy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I have activated the sim card. Because I'm abroad now, I want to know how to use the number abroad. 

I don't get the exact number of my sim card because I activated the sim card online.

Please help me to use the number.

Thanks, 

6 REPLIES 6

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM does not provide services beyond Canada except US if you buy appropriate add-on.

If you activated PM SIM while abroad, at least you can create self-serving account and confirm everything is in order and ready for use when you are back.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sssopy 

How long will you be outside of Canada? Pm only has limited roaming options for use in the US. There are workaround options but your sim card would have to be in Canada for them to work. If your pm phone # is very important as a way for people to contact you then you could make use of call forwarding and a text forwarding app if you have someone you trust in Canada willing to help you achieve this by using some of the options in the spoiler below.

Have a trusted friend or family member order or buy a new unactivated pm sim card. They give you the sim card # and you perform a sim swap in your account using the email 2FA option. Your friend can then put the pm sim card in their phone and call forward your pm phone # to your voip phone # that you have chosen (from textnow, fongo etc....make sure you choose a Canadian phone #). 

If you need text messages as well then if your friend has a spare smart phone to download s text forwarding app to they can set up text forwarding as well and leave your pm sim card in the phone that is left powered on and plugged into a charger so that it stays powered up.

You will then preferably have a local sim card with a cheap and plentiful data plan and you will recieve you pm calls ( and texts if you can) on your voip number while connected to mobile data or on wifi. If you are unable to make this arrangement then its best to schedule a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan (regardless do this anyways) and suspend for 85 days or so....reactivate before day 89 at the latest with $15 plan for 30 days and suspend again for 85 days....and so on til you come back to Canada.

If you are on the rewards program and you need your pm phone # then its worth paying the approximately $39 per year (355 days) that it takes to suspend and reactivate your account services.

Spoiler
  1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator/CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number  before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@sssopy 

You can only get roaming if you are in the USA. I would suggest you get a local SIM where you are located...it would be cheaper for you.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@sssopy You can't use PM service outside of Canada & USA (with roaming Add-on). 

Which country are you in atm? What were you planning with PM?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sssopy   No, PM service is only within Canada,  or US with Roaming add-on.  The service would not work in anywhere else.

You didn't get the exact number of the SIM card?  how did you activate online?  When you activated, you did need to put you the SIM card number.   Or someone else did it for you?

So, what you trying to do with the PM SIM abroad?  It cannot be done.  but you want to receive calls when you are aboard?  If so, then get a VoIP app like TextNow.  You will get a Canadian phone number with the app and you can receive calls and make calls as long as you have Wiif or local Mobile Data 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sssopy  You cannot use Public Mobile abroad.. Only in US outside of Canada, and only if you buy roaming add-ons.. 

Need Help? Let's chat.