cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking my public mobile phone

hailey_keddy_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need to inlock my public mobile phone because I got a new one and I’m giving this one to a family member.  They are not on a public mobile plan and they don’t want to charge their plan

21 REPLIES 21

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dzer2018 wrote:

in 2015 I bought a Motorola Moto G from a PM shop, when it existed. Locked Public Mobile.

@dzer2018 if you haven't already, send the moderator team a private message with the request, including your IMEI.  They will be able to unlock it for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@dna2016 wrote:

@Anonymous oh really, didn't know that, that must have been awhile ago?  But then again I've only been with PM for 1.5 years so maybe wasn't that long ago.

This was very shortly after Telus purchased the company. Public Mobile did sell CDMA phones, but I know that's not what we're discussing.  When Telus switched Public Mobile customers over to the HSPA/LTE network, they needed to have phones available so that people could purchase them (or receive some very basic device for free).  All existing customers at that time needed a new phone.

dzer2018
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

in 2015 I bought a Motorola Moto G from a PM shop, when it existed. Locked Public Mobile.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster

Exactly....thats why I asked phone type...oh well...hopefully they post solved..or at least answer..😀

@dna2016 wrote:

@hailey_keddy_, last i checked PM does not sell cell phones, so what do you mean your public mobile phone?  Generally your phone should have already been unlocked when you started with PM, unless it was a Koodo or Telus phone originally, then that's different.  You should be able to give the phone to your family member and they should be able to insert whatever SIM they want and use the phone.  At least that's been my experience.  

In addition to everything mentioned above (and the fact that the OP has not come back to elaborate the exact circumstances), it could also be a Samsung phone. At least some of them lock themselves to the first SIM inserted. In this case the unlock code can be obtained from Samsung through their online chat.

Public will assist with unlock if you message the mods

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dna2016 wrote:

@Anonymous oh really, didn't know that, that must have been awhile ago?  But then again I've only been with PM for 1.5 years so maybe wasn't that long ago.

I think it was up until early 2015.

dna2016

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dna2016- Public Mobile 'used' to sell phones.  If the OP has one (or a Telus/Koodo phone), PM can unlock it.

dna2016

@hailey_keddy_, last i checked PM does not sell cell phones, so what do you mean your public mobile phone?  Generally your phone should have already been unlocked when you started with PM, unless it was a Koodo or Telus phone originally, then that's different.  You should be able to give the phone to your family member and they should be able to insert whatever SIM they want and use the phone.  At least that's been my experience.  

Public Mobile will unlock Public Mobile (they did sell GSM/HSPA phones at one point), Telus and Koodo locked devices.

You'll need to send a message to Moderator_Team if you decide to go that route.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

*if* thé phone is locked Public Mobile, it will work fine with Telus and Koodo also.  If the phone isn’t locked, there will be no need to unlock it.  It is more likely the phone is not locked to Public Mobile, as there is no reason to lock it in here.

if the phone is locked, Moderators can assist with the unlocking process, or you can visit either a Telus or Koodo retailer to get an unlock code.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Message cleared    Try to find the site to check the company which have locked your phone...Any help???

dzer2018
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hailey_keddy_

Starting in May 2014, Public Mobile offered only Motorola Moto G and Samsung Galaxy Ace II X as smartphones.
I had unlocked a Moto G motorola at www.cellunlocker.net but we can not find mobile public anymore in the list, but you can try on www.imei.info PM is in the list,
it is in case it does not regulate with PM or the moderators,

Sorry my mistake..it's for the IMEI number that you have to give to the mods for unlocking your phone with PM....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lieux wrote:

Try to do  code *#06# on your phone to know the company for your phone @hailey_keddy_ 

On my BB OS10 that just spat back my IMEI and a mysterious /29.

Maybe the code does more with an Android or iphone.

Edit: The 29 might correspond to something called SV under About/OS.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Try to do  code *#06# on your phone to know the IMEI for your phone @hailey_keddy_  to give to the mods if your phone is lock with PM...Message changed!!!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hailey_keddy_ wrote:

I need to inlock my public mobile phone because I got a new one and I’m giving this one to a family member.  They are not on a public mobile plan and they don’t want to charge their plan

How do you know your phone is locked?

Put a non-Telus/Koodo/PM SIM card in your phone.  It it asks for unlock code, your phone is locked to Telus/Koodo/PM.  Call Telus to get an unlock code.

If your purchased this phone from other carrier and you use it with PM, your phone is unlocked.  Otherwise, it will not work with PM.

Doonerz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@hailey_keddy_ wrote:

I assume the phone was activated before Dec. 1, 2017 - that is the date that all phones had to sold unlocked in Canada I believe?

Carld123

@hailey_keddy_ wrote:

@hailey_keddy_

What type of phone is it and what carrier are they with?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hailey_keddy_ wrote:

So that means the phone originally came from Telus or Koodo. You'll need to contact them to get an unlock code for free. I wonder if Public Mobile, being related to them, could provide you with that. I dunno.

Need Help? Let's chat.