cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spam calls

Rouge935
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For over a month now, I have been receiving multiple calls every day from what seems a chinese lady from this number: xxxxxxxxx.  Is anybody else receiving them?  It is very annoying.  I blocked her number and she cannot leave a message, but she keeps calling.  I filed a complaint with the CRTC.  Can Public Mobile do anything about it?

24 REPLIES 24

@pankajjoshi wrote:

Also if you dont recognise the number let it go to voice mail..........usually i get calls for Duct cleaning ,

or some Govt dept.., or Canada customs. etc

HI @pankajjoshi   I got the duct cleaning a lot, too 😂  But at least those are legit sales calls.

Those govt , customs calls are total phishing.

pankajjoshi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Also if you dont recognise the number let it go to voice mail..........usually i get calls for Duct cleaning ,

or some Govt dept.., or Canada customs. etc

@Rouge935   but you said the lady said something harassing you? 

why she is targeting you?

honest, at this stage, I think you should get a new phone number.  

Of , if you don't mind to pay a bit more.  Start a new plan, start a new phone for at least 3 months. 

Your current account, keep it but forward to some non-sense places (or even local police station) .  Hopefully the person who tried to call you cannot reach you for that 3 months and will disappear.  Then you can cancel your temp line and use the original number back.

Rouge935

A few days ago, she called 10 times.  I phoned the local police station.  There is nothing they can do about it.  She said to keep ignoring her.  The calls are probably generated from a computer and even if the number shows a local areal code, it might be from outside the country.  

Oh oh I'm in trouble with the Chinese Embassy. And they're holding my package from DHL hostage ...

@Korth   The call you got was likely in mandarin, something about you have a package with DHL or it is from Chinese Embassy you are in deep trouble sort of call.  

I always curious how many will actually fall for it.

@darlicious wrote:

If it continues ... you can try reporting to the Canadian Anti-fraud Centre.

The problem - since I don't speak Chinese (I assume it's Chinese) - is that I don't know what the message is about. Are they looking for someone? Is it a message for me? Is it a wrong number? Are they trying to sell something? It sounds like a polite Chinese woman speaking at some length, I listened to for a couple minutes the first time. I don't know what the messages are saying or what they're about or why I'm getting them, so I can't confidently report fraud, lol.

At first I assumed it was a holiday greetings, Happy New Years from a Chinese customer/supplier, something like that. I deleted anyhow - they'll eventually contact me properly (in a language they know I can understand) if it's actually something I'd consider important (from work, school, government, friends, family, etc).

But it's a recorded message, which is a bit of a red flag, who would own a recorded-message-delivery-playback system? And it keeps on coming back again and again from different origin numbers, which is a definite red flag, who has so many phone numbers to use (especially if you haven't responded to the first three)?

I think they're just running an autodialer, fishing for responses. And once they've got your number listed as "active" the real spam will keep on coming.

Rouge935

I don't know this lady.  At first, I thought she was trying to reach someone and could not understand what I said, then that she is increasingly frustrated, because I block her number and she can't leave a message.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

I can tell you the police will do absolutely nothing except take a police report if you insist on it. The "Ni hao" lady is a fraud call. Only a certain percentage of the population can understand what is being said as this scam specifically targets victims who are wary of authority so the chance of successfully defrauding a potential victim is much higher than the general population.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious   this sounds like more a harassing calls than Fraud from what OP said.  Fraud involves trying to trick the receiver end to give out some information.  I think reporting to police is the way to go.  But honest, Police usually won't action unless harm is done. I don't think they will do anything for couple calls throughout the day 

@Rouge935   how did it all start?  did the lady called still because she thinks you are someone else (wrong number but just she not believes that?) .  Or there was some history between you two?

The only way to do is either to block the calls and let it flies to voicemail or using Lenny to route the call somewhere else.  

Of course, if you are willing to give up your number, start new with a Number Change is a way to go.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Rouge935 

If it continues from the same number you can try reporting to the Canadian Anti-fraud Centre. Have you tried making your number "private" and calling the number? If it's spoofed number and owner of the number is just a victim of having their number spoofed you wouldn't to cause them anymore grief than they are already going thru.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Rouge935

Thank you.  If it continues, I will file a police report.  It is possible to do it online.  

@Rouge935  the area code 514 make it a Montreal number,  1 does not matter.  1 is North America

it is not a community centre according to my search on White pages, it is a residential apartment

Rouge935

I am not sure if the 1 in front of the phone number means it is from Montreal.  Without the 1, it is from a Chinese community center.

@Rouge935  Google search for the number will get you to an a apartment in Montreal.

If it is harassments, it is criminal and it is for Police to deal with , not CRTC.  CRTC only control how telcom interacts with the customers.  In your case, it is not even a Spam calls as it is a direct targeted call. 

Again, if it is really harassments and it is reoccurring, open a police report instead. 

@Rouge935 

Because they spoof the phone number, it's hard to track them down.  Sometimes they'll spoof and use your home landline to call your cell phone, and not knowing.

Rouge935

I thought they could help because this is not a simple phone call, it's harassment.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I've received this Chinese-lady-spam-call-thing a few times over the last month. Somebody else complained about it in these forums, too.

I blocked the number. Got the same call from another number, blocked that. Blocked the third and fourth ones, too.

So it's obviously some kind of persistent spam thing. For now they're probably just autodialing. But if you respond then your name will go on a list and that list will get copied/sold/traded to others, the spam will never end.

My number is registered on the DNCL and DNCR. So this is obviously not a "legit" registered telemarketer/business. And if they're not legit then CCTS/CRTC can't really do anything to restrict the calls.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Rouge935  how can CRTC helps you because a number keep calling you?  CRTC has no jurisdiction on how I use my phone, nor it has any power to control how that lady use her phone to call you or not to call you.

Maybe file a police report would be more useful (although, police won't do much until your life is really in danger)

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Rouge935 

Sorry, all you can do is ignore, block and delete.  PM can't do anything about stopping these calls 🙂

Eventually they will just stop.  Today I got about a dozen of those calls, but tomorrow I won't get any at all. That's the way it goes ☺️

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get the DHL junk recording. I have also had the Chinese. What's with the stupid music in the background. The problem is that they're "real" numbers. So to block them may eventually block any real owners of those numbers in the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rouge935 

no one can do anything just ignore and delete and block.

or you can try to Changing Your Number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated.

To change go to your Self Serve Account here link, and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number,
  • and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Regrettably, there is nothing Public Mobile can do @Rouge935 

But there IS SOMETHING you can do.

Ignore these calls ALWAYS.   Never answer them.  If you do, you're likely to get increased numbers of these calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.