cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card is broken

mhopson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My teen daughter's Pub Mob sim card is broken. Doesn't work in her phone or mine. After two years of use

It took me ages to figure out how to order one from the website. Why can't it be listed under 'shop' or easy to find? it was only randomly that I found a link to take me to page to order. 

I finally did get to a place where I could order one. This was the right choice, yes? There is no store where I can buy one according to website. Or is it easy to set up an eSIM? I didn't realize until after ordering that her phone was compatible with that. 

Problem is that I can't log into her account, because from her phone or from computer it wants to send code to her number... as text, which she can't get because she has no working SIM. Once we get the card, or if we set up eSIM, is it going to be easy to access her account? Are there easy instruction anywhere for porting her number over? I find all the information on the site really difficult to access. Thanks in advance. 

21 REPLIES 21

If it were me I'd take the loss on the sim card already ordered and I'd buy another from Amazon. The $10 loss would be far outweighed by having phone service earlier. That's just me though.

As for 2FA, that I'm not sure how to work around.

@mhopson  Amazon will get it to you few days if  you have prime I think . Last I saw there only $4.99 there too 

mhopson

*amazon, above 

mhopson

Yes , I think people are missing the point. The SIM card is already ordered , as I didn’t know about the amazon option. My frustration is that there is no physical store that carried them anymore. Also the main question I’m asking is that I won’t be able to log in to my daughters account when it arrives in three weeks - ( and no , there’s no refund on the service we aren’t using ) because it wants to send a 2FA to her phone number. We don’t have her set up with the new ‘ever safe ‘ or whatever log in , because this just happened. So there’s no alternate option. 

mhopson

Thanks , I already called all the telus in pei , and visited other kiosks in person. I don’t have plans to make the 3.5 hour trip to Halifax , but I’ll see if I know anyone there 

HI @mhopson   while it is small, it is nice and quiet.  

I don't believe so. The last one I saw was fulfilled by Amazon. The one I see right now is sold and fulfilled by CMobile.

@mhopson  I know two places in Halifax that have them at Koodo kiosks .Bedford sunny side mall and Halifax shopping center .. try calling around to local Telus Koodo store . You may be pleasantly surprised 

You must have Amazon though? Probably slower service, but it has to be quicker than waiting on PM, no?

mhopson

No , they do not. I Checked. Haha , I don’t think people Realize how small PEI is - I’m pretty sure there are NO physical SIM cards in the province. I’m prettt sure there are none in the maritimes. It’s just so ridiculous that I have to wait a MONTH to see if the PM card I ordered even arrives ( 1 week troubleshooting and researching , 3 weeks shipping )  Meanwhile my daughter has no phone. 

mhopson

Thanks - all that information has been passed on . As stated in original post I ordered a SIM card thru site and am now waiting. realising I should have gone thru Amazon but didn’t know at the time. No local outlets sell them as stated in post. And no , we don’t have the ever safe log in as this was NEW and then the phone broke 

@mhopson 

have you order a replacement sim?  ordering from PM could take long, here are the other ways to get the replacement sim:

And no worry about the login,  there are different workarounds

if you have created an EverSafe id yet,  at the 2FA screen , click Resend code and then Send email

E_ResendCode_Watermarked.jpg

if you have NOT created an EverSafe id yet,  you won't be able complete the part to link your My Account with the EverSafe ID, that needs a working phone with a working PM sim using SMS.  (Sending the code to email would not be a choice until  EverSafe id is fully setup) 

Try these workarounds, it could bypass the SMS in linking My Account with EverSafe ID

1. Reset your password to self service account. Once reset, sign in again with new password. Might be able to receive 2FA via email instead to gain access.
    (!!!You will need to click Resend Code and then Send email to trigger the 2FA to email)
  2. Potential workaround (for some): If you don't have access to SMS OTP, try entering an incorrect OTP code 4 times. For some individuals, this is giving the option of an email instead.

If none of those workarounds helps,  please open ticket with support and have them to help in this situation:

Private message CS agent at 
**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

mhopson

Thank you , this could Be helpful for others. I feel as though people are not reading my post though . There is no store that sells them according to website. I have been to physical stores and none have them . I have already purchased one on line , now waiting for it to arrive . Worried as I have seen so many posts of cards not arriving. Should have bought from Amazon but I didn’t know that was an option at the time. 

I live in PEI . 

my main problem is that even when I get a card - I’d knows when that will happen - I will not be able to log into my daughters account - as the log in requires a code to be sent to her number by text …. Which she can’t receive because the SIM card is broken. So I’m stuck paying for this account for the next couple of weeks that can’t be used. 

Proxima
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

thanks for letting me know, it’s been awhile since I’ve been there (I was with public 5 years ago). Thanks for giving me updated information. I’ll keep this question in mind and I will stop by the mall tomorrow and ask around. Because thankfully the mall that I live by has all of these stores. yeah but it’s been a while since the last time I was with public mobile so most likely don’t have updated information

Proxima
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

information in my original post was possibly incorrect

Moved:

Members are not allowed to sell stuff here. nor are they allowed to solicit for referrals.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Honestly there are horror stories of sims from PM never arriving. They claim to have worked through that, but I wouldn't wait if I were you. I'd swallow the $10 and either go to Amazon or stop by a local Telus or Koodo store front to see if they have any in stock.  

mhopson

Thank you for the quick reply , there is no option to send code to anywhere except her number , which is obviously not possible. 

i would not have known to order a SIM card from Amazon . They used to be available in person. I realize technology advances but using this site is very difficult for me and answers difficult to find. How would a person know where to get a SIM except thru their carrier ? 

once the card arrives in 10 days ( 10 days without being able to text or call …. ) I will try to log in following your instructions , tho they are complex and I do not fully understand them . Thank you again for your help 

mhopson

Thanks , as mentioned , I can’t log in to her account since it wants to send a code to her number. There is no option for receiving code another way. I’m just really annoyed that we have to wait 10 days for a new card as I expected I could go to same store where we purchased original , but that service doesn’t exist . I’m frustrated by the website and lack of clear answers. This forum is great but difficult to access. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mhopson sorry, no eSIM for existing customers yet

For sim card, you could have bought from Amazon

for login without able to get 2FA on phone, try click Resend Code and see if Send email choice is there

E_ResendCode_Watermarked.jpg

if not, Try these workarounds, it could bypass the SMS in linking My Account with EverSafe ID

1. Reset your password to self service account. Once reset, sign in again with new password. Might be able to receive 2FA via email instead to gain access.
    (!!!You will need to click Resend Code and then Send email to trigger the 2FA to email)
  2. Potential workaround (for some): If you don't have access to SMS OTP, try entering an incorrect OTP code 4 times. For some individuals, this is giving the option of an email instead.

If none of those workarounds helps,  please open ticket with support and have them to help in this situation:

Private message CS agent at 
**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

After you able to login,Then go to Profile page, click on the Pencil besides the sim card number, follow the steps to enter the new sim card number and complete the change sim card request
(or direct link: https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/change-sim-number  ) 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@mhopson  just get a new SIM card . Log into your my account and SIM card swap the number 

SIM  SWAPPING  profile tabs

Handy1_0-1686883390422.png

Adding esim is just for new activations right now . Not existing customers . Hopefully soon thou 

Need Help? Let's chat.