cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roaming USA

yackinlyn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

hello, will travel to US for 2 weeks, so I guess I should purchase add talk, text and data. that means my own data,internataion calls minutes will be useless in US? if I call /text canada, how that works?  thank  you

30 REPLIES 30

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@yackinlyn...a general rule of thumb...the add-ons last for 240 hours from when you purchase. If you need additional talk time, wait for 24 hours after original one expires before buying the second.

Too bad PM doesn't offer something longer than 10 days...but for now, thats all PM has to offer.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yackinlyn    to avoid repeating things :  data addons can be stacked ie you can have two different  addons with data.  the one that causes issues is the talk addon  ie if  you buy the talk text and data one and then you purchase the talk one, while the first is still active.  this will cause calls to only last 6 seconds and hangup.

depending on your need.  buy the combo addon talk text and data (250mb) when you enter USA ,  then a couple days later buy the data only addon 1gb and when the talk text data addon expires buy the talk and text addons.  I believe that should cover the issues.  hopefully the two talk addons do not overlap and cause issues when the first is expiring.

another option as mentioned forward your calls to fongo and use that for the initial or final part of the trip  and use the talk text data addon and the 1gb data addon.   just be frugal with data usage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yackinlyn wrote:

any one knows if it is cheaper purchase a 2 weeks new plan in usa?with sim(any free? lol)

@yackinlyn 

review maybe is help you,

USA/Canada Prepaid SIM Card

Amazon.ca : travel sim usa

@yackinlyn 

I would look into prepaid data plan, it has more data and cheaper

you need at least 12 days, so 2 purchases.  It is a bit trouble to buy the 2nd one.  Usually after the first 10 days expires, you have to wait a day to re-purchase the 2nd one.  

If you used up the data early, you will have to ask PM Support assistant to buy before the 10 days.

Local US data offers you more data and cheaper.

yackinlyn

ill try if I get to the airport, really dont want to go, no choice by work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yackinlyn wrote:

what about different one?

@yackinlyn 

is nothing differnet, but the system is not allowed to do it.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@yackinlyn 

You should try to get yourself a sim card and package with Mint mobile.

It's a USA service provider and is very cheap.    They use the AT and T network.

It's also owned by a famous Canadian actor, Ryan Reynolds.     lol 

Getting two of the PM roaming add ons is a real pain, is easier to get a local sim card and package with  Mint Mobile.

Google it.

yackinlyn

what about different one?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yackinlyn wrote:

what do you mean one time, at day 11, i canot buy again?

@yackinlyn 

for Purchase Add-Ons is only one time for payment, for 10 days service after the 10 at day 11 you have to waiting 25hr to re-purchase or you need to contact to CSA, to only them can Add to you at day 11.

@yackinlyn wrote:

You can purchase a 2nd add on, however if buying the same one, you'll need to wait 24 hours from the expiry of the 1st.

Yes, that sucks. 

@yackinlyn wrote:

@yackinlyn The Roaming Addons have been known to be a bit glitchy if you renew them back to back. IT is almost like you need to wait the full 240 hours from the time you purchased the first one. 

It's doable, just be aware of it.

yackinlyn

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yackinlyn 

you can buy it the Add-ons for 10 days and for the another 2 days you can

use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

• Unlimited Call \ SMS \ MMS a Free USA/Canada.

Here link for app Talkatone.

Here link for app Text Me.

you know anywhere have a Wi-Fi Free.

yackinlyn

good idea, if i only purchase data, how much it consume using those apps, i will turn off when not using,thx

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yackinlyn wrote:

can i not buy another add on, too much work contact customer service and i will be busy

@yackinlyn 

the buy it Add-ons is a one time only,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

@yackinlyn wrote:

any one knows if it is cheaper purchase a 2 weeks new plan in usa?with sim(any free? lol)

The cost would be similar.

You can purchase 30-day plans for $15-$30, depending on where you look.

The good thing about the PM add-ons is that you're not spending your time researching a US based service provider and taking time away from your travels.

yackinlyn

can i not buy another add on, too much work contact customer service and i will be busy

@yackinlyn wrote:

thankyou, unlimited I guess, sad only 10 days, I need like 12 at least.

@yackinlyn  - yes, it is too bad there isn't a daily option for accommodating more than 10 days.

Download a textnow or fongo phone number for free that can be used in wifi areas.

OR use whatsapp or wifi apps to stay connected.

Safe travels!

@yackinlyn 

If you only need 12 days, you may wish to utilize a web-based VoiP service like Fongo while you're there.

This way, you can call when in Wi-Fi without needing a US Roaming add-on.

Just another option.

yackinlyn

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yackinlyn wrote:

@yackinlyn 

only 10 day after the end for 10 days you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,  to Add another 10 days for you.

yackinlyn

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yackinlyn 

For US Roaming 10 day packages
Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20
Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15
Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8
Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8
U.S. Data Only 10 day packages
250MB = $10
500MB = $15
1GB = $20

when you visit US and then Purchase it,

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account,

How To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!
  5. after you Add-on you have to do Rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Overview Of Add-Ons visit Here link...

@yackinlyn wrote:

yes I aware,thx. my question can I call/text back canada? or just use those in USA?

@yackinlyn  once you purchase the Roaming Addon, YES you can call / text to Canada.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@yackinlyn wrote:

hello, will travel to US for 2 weeks, so I guess I should purchase add talk, text and data. that means my own data,internataion calls minutes will be useless in US? if I call /text canada, how that works?  thank  you

The day before you travel to US, @yackinlyn , make sure to purchase the desired US Roaming add-on.

It will be good for 10 days, and includes options for talk, text, and data.  

Yes, you can call and text Canada from the US with these add-ons.

yackinlyn

yes I aware,thx. my question can I call/text back canada? or just use those in USA?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@yackinlyn wrote:

@yackinlyn  - correct your plan will not work outside of Canada.

To obtain services in the USA you will need to purchase Roaming Addons. Log into your account and see what is available.

The last for 10 days only, and start as soon as you purchase them, so make sure to only get them when you are there, so very soon to get there.

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/?PageRedirect=Redi...

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There is an add-on specially for that at PM purchase add-on section.

It is valid for 10 days in USA and doesnt auto renew. You need to wait for 24 hours after the first add-on expires till you can buy another one if needed.

Need Help? Let's chat.