cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

requesting smaller US add-on?

aka2286
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Might it be possible for Public Mobile to offer smaller US roaming add-ons? I travel to the US for work for a few days every month, and I have an electric car that I must charge using my phone. Paying $30 for 15 days makes no sense- it costs much more than charging my car the two times that I need to do it while in the US. How can I request this from Public Mobile?

11 REPLIES 11

@whyveeare    Thanks for the response and that's good to hear you don't need to anything further with your ESIM. 

I really like the idea of having a data SIM handy that doesn't expire but don't want to keep having to change APN settings, but I might just try it next time I travel as I would need their physical SIM card.

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dabr  I have the eSIM as part of a dual-SIM iPhone XR.  So, when I switch between my PM physical SIM and the KeepGo eSIM, it updates the APN automatically.  I don't have to do anything.

For single SIM phones without eSIM, it should just update the APN automatically when you restart the phone with a different SIM.  At least that has been my experience in the past with previous physical travel SIM cards.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@aka2286   I also wish PM offered customers a roaming option for day/weekend trips in addition to their 15 day roaming package which I think are an improvement from the previous 10 day add-ons.  However, I wouldn't expect any further changes from PM to the roaming options anytime soon, unfortunately.

@whyveeare   Another user mentioned Keepgo several months back and I do like the idea of keeping their SIM handy for travel, however, I'm wondering if you need to change APN settings everytime you switch to the Keepgo SIM, unless you have an ESIM?  

whyveeare

@aka2286 

If all you need is data, I also second @fujiyama ’s recommendation to use Keepgo as an alternate source of data.  Assuming you have dual SIM/eSIM possibility of course (if you have an iPhone, all iPhones since the XS and XR have this function).  I personally use Keepgo’s Sagittarius eSIM.   It is valid in the US (AT&T, T-Mobile) and Canada (Bell, Rogers, Telus).  The best part is that the data doesn’t expire, as long as you top it up once a year.  You only use what you need.  Perfect for those quick trips across the line.  But also for those months when you might go over your monthly PM data allotment (and you have already used your Xmas freebies).  The other times it has come in handy for me is when I happen to be in an area with poor Telus/Bell coverage, I have the option to switch to the Rogers network if needed.

This was what we were hoping for with the promise of Dotmobile last year.  Data On Tap.  But alas, I digress ……… 😥

** edited to add mention of Dotmobile

Meow
Mayor / Maire

No option to have different US add-on then whatever PM is offering.

It is system take it or leave it.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes, do you also do talk and text when in the states?

They somewhat recently changed up the roaming add-ons. They used to be 10 days. There used to be individual talk and text.

I would suggest getting a US service for all those frequent visits. I set up one from ebay called Red Pocket Mobile for $30US per year for a low usage account. The drawback of course is that it's a US number. Works great and uses VoLTE.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In your case it would be cheaper to get a US plan or a travel sim such as Keepgo. I suggest using a second/beater phone as a hotspot device with these plans if you don't have a dual sim or esim compatible phone. 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can file a complaint with a CS agent.  Your circumstance is very unique so I doubt very much that they will change their package choices.

whyveeare

@aka2286 it sounds like you just need a little bit of data while you are in the USA,  Could you not just use the 250 MB data add-on for $10 instead?  Or do you need talk and text too?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@aka2286   sorry, no, those are the only choices you have.  

All US roaming are in 15 days period now

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@aka2286 

only the 15 Day options are currently available.

Need Help? Let's chat.