cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing sim card as troubleshooting measure???

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

hey all, occasionally i see people suggest  or say they have removed sim card and reinserted it as generic troubleshooting method?  I am curious if this is a valid step and why?

I can understand if the phone says no sim card or they are the sim in a different phone to determine hardware vs account issues.

The only reasoning i can think of is that it takes time to do (keeps phone off longer)  but the sim can also be removed with the phone still turned on. 

anyways just curious if anyone had some thoughts.

7 REPLIES 7

I agree with what's been said here.

But I can see two special instances where removing the SIM card might help:

1) The SIM card wasn't properly installed or isn't making proper electrical contact in the first place.  If phone service simply (or suddenly) isn't working for no apparent reason then this could be worth trying, especially after a hard drop/impact which might have rattled the internals.  Exceedingly rare to shake or jar a SIM loose, but not impossible.

2) The phone's software simply refuses to proceed past a certain point unless it detects a "new" SIM card.  You just gotta do what they want you to do in the order they want things done if there's absolutely no other way to move forward with (re)configuring a device.  Not mentioning any iPhone models here, of course.

I agree it's pointless. Enabling and disabling airplane mode is the simplest way to re-attach to the network.

Some phone glitches may be resolved by rebooting the phone, but SIM card removal should have no impact.

A SIM replacement, though technically unnecessary, could trigger re-provisioning of the account, which could resolve some issues. It's a simple and cheap procedure for customer service representatives to do, instead of escalating to engineering teams for advanced troubleshooting.

I've also never heard of damage being caused by removing a SIM while a phone is powered. I do it all the time and no issues so far (though I enable airplane mode before ejecting the SIM tray).

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo removing SIM while device is powered is dangerous. Static and other things can damage phone so this is never recommended by any brand.

The only advantage of removing SIM is that on some models it forces a hard reset but really if you know how your phone operates you should not need to do this.

Or I suppose if phone got wet and you are trying to make sure no moisture inside the device.

SIM failure is pretty rare (even when it has happened in past I am more suspect of something Public did in system that caused the failure)

Removing the sim card isn't going to do a thing unless there is a problem with the sim card making proper electrical contact with the phone.

It's just like the old antics of carriers telling you to replace your sim card if you call in to complain about anything.  While it's not entirely impossible for sim card replacement to fix something, it has turned into just a way for the carrier's customer service line to get you off the phone.  It's Freedom Mobile's favorite line for any complaint that a customer may have.

In the rare, rare case, these types of things might help but usually, it's a wild goose chase.

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

nintendo-blow1.jpg

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

My family has gone through around 2 dozen phones over the years that used a SIM card.  I cannot think of one instance where a SIM card has failed to work.  I face palm every time I see suggestions of taking out the SIM card and reinserting it.  I suppose it is less injurious than suggesting a factory reset.  As for removing and inserting a SIM card with the phone ON, I would not do that.  I don't like the idea of hot swapping anything other than USB storage. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only thing that comes to mind is bad contact with the phone.  Removing it and reinserting it slightly scratches(cleans) the contacts.  However, unless the phone and or SIM have been exposed to moisture, or other harsh conditions, the contact shouldnt normally 'go bad'.

Need Help? Let's chat.