cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Sorry, we do not offer text messaging outside of Canada", even though phone works.

PowerLemons
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an Unlocked Sprint iPhone 6, and cellular service works on it. I'm able to use 4G LTE data and text messaging, I get service because I'm in Nova Scotia, and I'm inside of Canada.

My iPhone keeps receiving the text message "Public Mobile here. Sorry, we do not offer text messaging outside of Canada" about every 15 minutes from the 611 number. This does not happen on my Unlocked Verizon HTC One M8. I suspect this is happening because it is an American CDMA model of the iPhone 6.

How would I go about fixing this? I could block it, but I don't want to miss any important notifications from Public Mobile.

IMG_0115.PNG IMG_0116.PNG

23 REPLIES 23

consideritdone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having the same issue

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JoeCanadian Hopefully it does not start up again for you!  Thanks for the update. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JoeCanadian

It may also happen with the carrier settings are updated on the iPhone via an iTunes sync.  That is what recently happened to me, and what I suspect caused this to start. It thankfully stopped after a day  or so. In total I only received 3 or 4 sms texts from PM.

JoeCanadian

That's an interesting suggestion but I don't think that is what's going on for several reasons.  I can't find any indication of outgoing SMS traffic on the account View Usage pages.

Also, as someone else suggested, the activity has now gone away and was likely caused by a recent update to the PM Carrier settings that were downloaded to the iPhone.  

It's still kind of annoying, but I can deal with it if it stops. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Another possibility: could it be an app that's trying to send an international text?  I'm not super familiar with iOS (assuming you're using an iOS device since you're using iMessage!), but is there a way to audit what apps may have been granted a particular permission, such as read/send/manage SMS messages or something similar to that?

Apps downloaded from the App Store probably shouldn't be going rogue and trying to send anything unexpected, but it's possible you granted an app permissions to do so at some point and forgot? 

This is probably a slim possibility.  Do you see any unusual sms activity in the usage history in the self serve site around the time(s) that you've gotten those notifications from PM?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @JoeCanadian,

Assuming that you're referring to the PowerLemon posts that I recall, then you know that his/her iPhone was attempting to call a UK (or possibly U.S.) number.

You are not doing anything to cause it.

In those cases which were posted here, the message stopped after 2-4 days.

I hope that this reply has helped to allay your concerns somewhat.

Cheers.

@JoeCanadian Please send PM support a webmail about this by clicking on the Contact Us link. If the problem goes unresolved for 48 hours after you send in that first webmail, please let us know, and we will have a moderator here escalate your problem internally.

@JoeCanadian It's related to how Apple routes iMessages. I get whenever I change carriers and it disappears after a day.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

JoeCanadian

I am getting this message on occasion as well.  I have a iPhone with Canada wide texting plan. 

What confuses me is I am not trying to use SMS messaging currently.  I almost exclusively use iMessage over data with other iPhone users.  The one SMS person I text with is in the same town as me and he gets my SMS texts.  

So it is a) unclear to me if I am doing anythign to cause this message, and b) how to make it stop.  

To be clear I get maybe 2 a day, not every few mins like with PowerLemons report.  From what I've read, there is no way to make this stop.  Is that true?  

Martin
Legend
Legend
BrokenAnimator,

You're welcome!

BrokenAnimator

It also goes away on it's own after a couple days as Apple probably has a built in loop counter that gives up after a certain amount of tries for Imessage.

@Martin thanks for the welcome 🙂

@makkahn28 System functioning correctly is a point of view. Yes, system isn't allowing a international text that an apple app uses as default authentication. Robot =True System Normal, but then you have to ignore the human aspect of the system spamming new customers with Iphones.

From a customer point of view, getting spammed with multiple texts not knowing why means the system isn't functioning user friendly and not supporting apple iphones. For a non-technical customer they will just think something is "wrong" which dosen't make a great user experiance. 

Probably an easy to write script as an if statement if(text message from apple) = True, then: (let it go through or block it) while (not sending a txt); 

@BrokenAnimator, If you pick a Rate Plan Text that's Canada-Wide Only, Then yes that message will appear. System is Functioning Correctly

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

What you did should rectify the problem.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

BrokenAnimator

Howdy, 

Just wanted to add, I signed up to Public mobile just today and get this problem as well. Repeated "sorry, we do not offer..." texts from 611 (PM). Turning off Imessage and see if that helps. Hopefully you guys fix this soon, otherwise everythign else went well during sign up!

Moid_I
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@PowerLemons as @chukdefatey said you are recieveing SMS because you have iMessage turned on your iPhone, we are working on to resolve the issue. You might be able to activate iMessage on your iPhone but you will keep on getting SMS. 

I would suggest please turn off iMessage settings and SMS will stop. Once issue is fixed we will post on community. 

My iPhone settings that do not create this issue under Message Settings are:

iMessage: on

Send Receipts: off

Send as SMS: off

MMS Messaging: on

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
I have answered similar OP many times. Here is the correct answer. Your iPhone is trying to activate imessage & face time. In order to activate those two iPhone exclusive functions is, your iPhone sends blind texts to a UK number now most carrier allow message to that number and you are not charged for it but in Public Mobiles case they don't offer texts outside of Canada and since PM doesn't have any pay per use charges for anything so when you phones send that blind text to a UK number you get the message you are getting.

People on Grandfathered plans don't have this issue because there plans include Global Texting.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi again,

USA? Never heard of it. LOL! 🙂

PowerLemons
@Martin

Funny how you thought that. I only put it there to prove that I am in Canada, and not the USA 🙂

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi PowerLemons,

I must confess that you caused me to chuckle when I saw the map, pinpointing NS. I inferred that you wanted to prove that Nova Scotia was actually in Canada. Anyone versed in Canadian history knows the crucial part that the province played in the formation and federation of this country!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

You're welcome!

I, too, am interested in what others have to say, especially if they have a solution.

All that I can suggest is that you disable SMS for 2 or 3 days. Insofar as other texts from PM are concerned, the only ones would be the confirmation that your plan has been renewed, and the other reminding you of your rights before the CCTS, both dependent on their respective scheduling.

FYI.

PowerLemons
@Martin

Thanks for the reply! It won't hurt to hear what other people have to say, but I'll watch out for that.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello PowerLemons,

A number of months ago, a customer reported the same problem of receiving repeated texts from PM. He posted, two or three days later, that PM had stopped texting him with the same message.

I hope that my answer has addressed your concern.
Need Help? Let's chat.