cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Long distance charges may apply" when making calls outside of Toronto

rtey31
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a Canada-wide plan, but when I make calls away from Toronto, I get this message:

"Your call is being connected. Long distance charges may apply."

Is this normal? I don't want to get charged for no reason.

13 REPLIES 13

@Korth You will never hear the long distance warning if you always precede numbers you dial with a 1. Without a 1, I have occasionally had the warning with local calls though.

Whether or not there is a 1 prefixed on your incoming caller ID has nothing to do with the long distance warning on outgoing calls...

I'm very surprised if you received a long distance warning even if you added a 1... I've never experienced that.

@Nezgar wrote:

My workaround is to get the "long distance" caller to call me, then add to contacts. The caller ID is written in whatever exact prefix format is preferred by the caller's local network/exchange - "1" or "+1" or "1-" or whatever - so no "long distance" warning message ever gets involved.

Or just put their number (with a 1 prefix) into contacts yourself in the first place? I'm not sure the advantage of having them call you? to avoid typing in their number?

Different networks/exchanges seem to have different default preferences. 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx is still sometimes confronted by a "long distance charges may apply" warning. While dialing out in the exact format used by the caller's "long distance" network seems to avoid the warnings.

But yes, there's also the advantage of avoiding the dialing/typing, lol.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious Yes, good save!

@Korth wrote:

My workaround is to get the "long distance" caller to call me, then add to contacts. The caller ID is written in whatever exact prefix format is preferred by the caller's local network/exchange - "1" or "+1" or "1-" or whatever - so no "long distance" warning message ever gets involved.

Or just put their number (with a 1 prefix) into contacts yourself in the first place? I'm not sure the advantage of having them call you? to avoid typing in their number?

Not always an option, since sometimes you gotta call "long distance" numbers which won't call you back. But it's handy for "long distance" to people you might call frequently.

@stevenanto 

Did you forget the "not" in your statement....🤔

"I can confirm that they do not charge you extra for calling anywhere in Canada as they are a prepaid plan phone company."😃

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

completely normal and standard message. I think a good chunk of us on here have already gotten this message a few times. I can confirm that they do charge you extra for calling anywhere in Canada as they are a prepaid plan phone company. Enjoy

@yiruiruan wrote:

You will get that if you don't put a 1 in front of the number you are calling. You will not get charged extra on Canada wide plan. Nothing to worry about.

There wouldn't be extra charges even the customer only has a province-wide calling plan. The call would simply not work if an out-of-proince call were to be made in that stiuation.

yiruiruan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You will get that if you don't put a 1 in front of the number you are calling. You will not get charged extra on Canada wide plan. Nothing to worry about.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rtey31 wrote:

I have a Canada-wide plan, but when I make calls away from Toronto, I get this message:

"Your call is being connected. Long distance charges may apply."

Is this normal? I don't want to get charged for no reason.

@rtey31 

Since you are on a Canada-Wide plan you can ignore and the call should still go through.

You will not get charged - This prepaid service will not provide you a service that you did not already pay for.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try dialing 1 + area code.  PM is prepaid so there are no additional charges.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@rtey31 

This is a standard telus message given to callers because telus does not know what type of calling plan you have. Since you likely have a Canada wide calling plan you have nothing to worry about. Pm never has overages or extra billing. If you don't pay for a service it just won't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To get the obvious out of the way...you used 1 or +1 in front of the country code? Sometimes there are some extra leading zero's in country codes and "foreign" area codes. Maybe try not using leading zeros.

just ignore that Messages and 100% normal,

Unlimited Canada-wide, outgoing calling and income calling everything Free included with your plan,

at public mobile is prepaid no extra charged.

Need Help? Let's chat.