cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"5G" data speed on the $15 "3G" plan

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Anyone else getting "5G" data speeds on their "3G" plan? I've had this issue since last September. The speedtest used over 600mb and ate into one of my bonus data add ons. The Telus tech who called me said data speed is determined by the tower and network I connect to and that they cannot throttle data to 3mbps per individual account. The escalations team said the same thing. I'm at a loss as to how to get my data throttled again to 3mbps with the exception of a CCTS complaint for breach of contract?

BTW....I still can't reply to anyone I can only edit this post.

5 REPLIES 5

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Handy1 @Phil_Adelphus @golfball 

After discovering that I had "5G" speed last September of course I'm careful now as I was before I simply forgot to reset my warning and limiter after the hard reset. Once before in the past a couple of years ago one of my day 30 speedtests revealed I had about 60mbps on the $15 plan but the next time I reactivated it was back to 3mbps.

I certainly didn't expect such a high data speed and had nearly the entire 250mb of plan data on day 30 so I wasn't worried about a speedtest that might normally use 40mb. I was just dumbfounded and didn't react quick enough to close the tab to stop the test. Wouldn't you be surprised if you did a speedtest on a "5G" plan and found out you had 1gbps and it used your entire plan data allotment?

@computergeek541 

I don't know about that as I have not been properly notified that my data speed has changed and I do have a 30 day contract with Public Mobile. Or does only the customer have to adhere to the ToS?

I fully explained all of this in my post "Marked as Spam" but I didn't want to waste my time explaining everything in detail only to see it disappear again and despite appealing it no one from support has responded.

Please move this to my thread. It's the only way for me to reply directly to other members and trigger a notification. Thanks.

@treefrog wrote:

Anyone else getting "5G" data speeds on their "3G" plan? I've had this issue since last September. The speedtest used over 600mb and ate into one of my bonus data add ons. The Telus tech who called me said data speed is determined by the tower and network I connect to and that they cannot throttle data to 3mbps per individual account. The escalations team said the same thing. I'm at a loss as to how to get my data throttled again to 3mbps with the exception of a CCTS complaint for breach of contract?

BTW....I still can't reply to anyone I can only edit this post.

Public Mobile absolutely does set speeds on individual accounts based on the plan.  I really hope that's not what Telus told you and that some is being misintrepreted, because none of it is correct.  As for a CCTS complaint, by providing a speed faster than advertised, more service is actually provided.  I believe that any CCTS complaint would be dismissed outright.

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

3G is actually uncapped speed and will go as fast as it can. LTE and 5G are throttled. 

Not doing speed tests is the best solution. I made that mistake when I first got the $15 plan and it was running at full speed. Now that I'm on a 5G plan I have enough data to do them and it still uses a big chunk of the data compared to most things.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@treefrog  I don’t  think that’s the  case . Your data speed  is determined by the plan your on not the network your accessing .regardless of the plan your on you can select to use 3G /4G or 5G and your plan will be throttled accordingly to the plan your on 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@treefrog  PM seems to have dropped 3G plans, there are none currently offered.  Your best bet might be to stop doing speed tests!  You should be able to set your phone to low data mode and set a data use limit or warning.

Need Help? Let's chat.