cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone number stuck in between two providers

TDKxxx
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched to Public from another operator before but then returned to Virgin due to better prices. Something strange is happening here, my mobile number is now between two carriers, I can use my virgin number for data, calls and text messages, but I cannot receive some calls, also my Public account is there, and there is also a reminder that stopping payment will cause the system to shut down.

The biggest problem now is that I cannot receive important calls, I have contacted Virgin staff, and they said everything is fine with my mobile number.

8 REPLIES 8

JessStorey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had this same issue. Put in a ticket with public mobile and they resolved within hours! 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@TDKxxx   If you did not keep your Public Mobile sim in your phone to respond with YES to the PM text asking for permission to release your number, you can try putting the PM sim back in the phone and asking Virgin to re-submit the request.  You have to reply YES within 90 minutes of receiving the text otherwise it will not work.  The onus for porting is on the new provider but if you need to contact Public Mobile for assistance with anything, like releasing the number because you can't get the text, then submit a ticket using the chat/Message icon bottom right of this page.  If that doesn't seem to be functioning then send a private message to customer support using this link and watch for a reply at the envelope icon top right or tap your avatar for Messages.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

The only thing PM has to do is get your permission to release the number and then release it to Virgin, everything else is Virgin's responsibility.

Adi2629
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You have to wait for sometime. Something was also happen with me that i switch to PM from rogers and i transferred my number to it. Then when everything was good and my number is successfully activated. I see both network were showing to me and also i can call from both carriers providers it was showing same number when i called. But after sometime it got fixed. 

@BKNS27 wrote:

@computergeek541 

Yup, Virgin staff confirmed this. Just giving a detailed steps whether a reply to the text or not.

Unfortuantely, your steps aren't correct. The member is porting to Virgin Mobile.  it's the Public Mobile SIM card that needs to be left in the phone.

@computergeek541 

Yup, Virgin staff confirmed this. Just giving a detailed steps whether a reply to the text or not.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@TDKxxx 

As @computergeek541 has stated.

It really depends how or if you even replied to the text from Virgin with the Virgin SIM in your phone.

If you replied with YES confirming you are porting over to PM. Your Virgin SIM will continue to work for about 2 hours.

If you replied with NO or you didn’t reply to the text then you are still with Virgin. Also Virgin staff confirmed that you are still with them.

The memberr isn't porting to Public Mobile.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@TDKxxx 

As @computergeek541 has stated.

It really depends how or if you even replied to the text from Virgin with the Virgin SIM in your phone.

If you replied with YES confirming you are porting over to PM. Your Virgin SIM will continue to work for about 2 hours then you are with PM.

If you replied with NO or you didn’t reply to the text then you are still with Virgin. Also Virgin staff confirmed that you are still with them.

@TDKxxx wrote:

I switched to Public from another operator before but then returned to Virgin due to better prices. Something strange is happening here, my mobile number is now between two carriers, I can use my virgin number for data, calls and text messages, but I cannot receive some calls, also my Public account is there, and there is also a reminder that stopping payment will cause the system to shut down.

The biggest problem now is that I cannot receive important calls, I have contacted Virgin staff, and they said everything is fine with my mobile number.

This means that your phone number has not been transferred to Virgin Mobile.  Please remember to leave your Public Mobile SIM card in your device to reply to a text message from Public Mobile to approve the phone number transfer.  Other than that, it's Virgin Mobile that you'll need to contact for assistance.

Need Help? Let's chat.