cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone number already taken

shellllll
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi there, i was going to switch but it wont except my phone number to start a new account....or my friends or girlfriends...what gives?

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shellllll wrote:

hi there, i was going to switch but it wont except my phone number to start a new account....or my friends or girlfriends...what gives?

Do you mean starting a new account on the activate page?

Or do you mean starting a new account on the Self serve page?

The first one you wouldn't use your phone number, that you would bring from another provider by way of what's called porting or transferring, until later in the process. Unless that's what you mean. But that wouldn't be using the other two numbers you mention. On the activate page you would put in an existing Public Mobile customer phone number for the referral area...not your number. That would be where either of your other numbers would go. It would also make you create an account that the second link would do.

The second one is for after you've activated the SIM for cell service like from a store. You will have either taken a new number or ported your number from your other provider. You put your now activated number in to set up the self-serve account.

So tl;dr: what are you trying to do with either of these 3 numbers? Are any of you existing customers?

The reason for all this is that your wording is a little unclear.

@shellllll wrote:

I'm going to ask a different type of quetsions, because it wouldn't make sense to me for you to take your friend or girlfriend's phone nubmer, so I'm going to ask if they are both already Public Mobile customers, and if you're trying to use one of them to refer you.  If you do that, you'll get a $10 credit.  Are their Public Mobile accounts still active?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@shellllll wrote:

If your asking about porting your number from another provider you need to follow the advice from @ZfromVanC  in the post above. If you are asking about using one of those numbers as a referral when signing up then you need to contact Public Mobile and they will help you with that problem.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@shellllllYou can't open an account with a phone number that currently belongs to another provider unless you port the number.
It's best to pick a new number when you sign up then you can go into your account and move the number from your current provider.

Keep your old account open until you have moved the number, if you close the account first you can't move it and you will lose the number.

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Could you be more specific? Are you trying to switch from a different carrier, but keep your old phone number? That would be a number port.

If you are coming from Koodo its a bit different, you'll need to select a new phone number, then once your account is set up you can go into your preferences and port your old number over.

Need Help? Let's chat.