Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new user issues

acs123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I'll do as everyone keeps suggesting: @Shazia_K

Very frustrating experience so far.  Been trying for days now to activate 2 new SIM cards.

If I try to get a new number, there is nothing in the dropdown list.

If I try to port a number, I get the regex error.

Tried:

- Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari iOS

- turned off all extensions, add-blockers

- used private/incognito mode

- when none of those worked, I kept trying each day and waited a few days to message the mods because everyone on here kept saying how busy they are this week.  I have sent privated messages twice now - both message are still not even read.

I rely on my phone for my work, so I'm worried that if I have issues down the road, I'll be without service and no way to get a hold of anyone.

It's frustrated because I'm sitting here, wanting PM to take my money, but they can't.  It sounds as though others have waited 1-2 weeks for a reply.  If it takes that long, then the promotion will be over and I will have spent all this time for nothing.

It's a long weekend after today, so I'm not hopeful anything will be done.

If it takes this long just for me to get a SIM up and running, I can't even imagine how long the Rogers port is going to take?!?!  (Not to mention that if my wife's phone ends up with issues, she'll really wonder why I even suggested this in the first place)

I'm really close to just forgetting about it all together.  I thought Rogers customer service was frustrating but this is a whole new level.

18 REPLIES 18

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I guess that's how it should be, thanks for that.

Devil_tear
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@Rockdaddy22 if I would put a space in the postal code it wouldn't allow me to put the last number of the postal code... It is capped at 6 characters... At least for me...

Rockdaddy22
Very interesting

Devil_tear
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
My chrome browser would not allow me to put a space in the postal code... Activated 2 accounts... Just saying...

Rockdaddy22
Well, when you put it like that lol The site definitely needs some work.

acs123

It is ridiculous for many reasons.  Just because something is common, doesn't mean it's ok.  Here are just a few reasons why this should be fixed:

1.  The postal code is entered on a form that is then submitted.  The error then appears on the next page.  If there was problem on the first form, it should not be allowed to be submitted.

2.  If the second page/form is using information from the first form, it should be able to parse it properly.  No reason it can't automatically reduce that space between the postal code.

3.  It probably only needs the first part (3 characters) for what it needs that information for anyways.

4.  The error it gives is beside a box for an alternate phone number (regex error) or it gives a blank drop down menu with no indication the menu is supposed to be related to location.

5.  Even if the developer didn't want to fix any of those things, just put in a box beside the postal code on the orinal form indicating how it should be entered (or use two boxes and then parse it how you want)

5. I'll stop there, but I could go on...  (this is why I used the word ridiculous)

Hopefully things will be smooth here on out.  I just don't think we should all just accept things that can be fixed.  It makes the company look disorganized and it's hard to refer someone when you have to give them a list of things that could go wrong with the website and ways to fix it.

Rockdaddy22
How is that ridiculous, that's actually a common one on the web unfortunately, definitely not ideal. I'm just glad you got it to work.

acs123

Ridiculous solution: 

no space in the postal code (on the actvation screen, using Safari on a Mac)

Then I was able to either pick a new number or port my Rogers number.

I chose port and it went through in 35 minutes.  (gave account number)

This still doesn't change the fact that this shouldn't happen on a modern website during a high volume promotion.  Hopefully PM will get the website fixed.

It still makes me nervous for the day that I need a mod to do something in a timely manner since customer support is seriously lacking.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Rockdaddy22
@acs123 you have no idea what I went through when I signed up. Also, I'm currently waiting with a friend to port his number, he's just happy to get the promo, he doesn't care how long it takes.
Why would PM want it back if it can't be activated? To bad thousands daily are activating no problem, maybe your sim is useless I guess.
No refund on SIM card, they cost $5

acs123
So if I give up on this all together, will PM refund $10 for the SIM cards? I couldn't possibly give or sell them to anyone else since they can't be activated. Has anyone successfully gotten a refund. (I know that means more waiting so I'm assuming it's just easier to lose the $10)

glblanc

I hear you.

I myself activated 2 SIM cards.

The first SIM activated smoothly. I chose a temporary PM number because I was scared of downtime in case something messes up in my port. I was planning to port it after this 12GB/90days promo ended so I can maybe get it resolved quickly if I have issues.

The second SIM wouldn't activate. I sent a detailed pvt msg to the mods to pls activate the account and port the number (wife's) with the provided information. Took them 4 days to read my msg. They activated the SIM, ported the number but I had to create the self serve account myself. 

The ported number was successful - could call, and recieve calls - but when I tried to create a self serve account, the website couldn't recognize the number as a PM number even though it was already transferred. Tried multiple times throughout the day with no luck. Finally today, it worked - so after 24 hours. Setup the self serve but it wouldn't accept the wife's credit card (pc mastercard). Finally had to set her up using my own credit card. Then made a one time payment of $120 and then changed the plan from the 10 day that the customer service rep setup to the 12GB/90days plan.

Finally done.

Now...wondering if I dare to try porting my primary number from Telus to Public Mobile....

I don't think there is a way to "cancel" the private messages or support requests.

My support request # was 2580-6817.

@Mary_M, if you get around to reading this, I don't need your help with the wife's account anymore... unless you want to help me port my Telus number... I am afraid to initiate it on the website and get stuck and lose service for the few days untill it can be resolved.

acs123

easy for the person to say that has service...

Rockdaddy22
If it's to much stress, just forget it maybe. Some are willing to go thru lots of stress for this deal, some not so much. Everyone's different I guess.

Rockdaddy22
Let us know if any of those help

acs123

??!!??

Designer was too busy designing the next improvement. Ralph, shown below, did the testing but there was no translator available to update the designer. Robot Sad

Smilodon_fatalis (1).jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

acs123

Right, those seem obvious... easy sign-up indeed.   Yikes!

Did the person who designed the website ever try using it first?!?!

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Other tricks that sometimes help:

• if you have a long name(s) enter short ones
  • be sure your postal code is entered WITHOUT spaces
  • choose any valid Canadian number as “Alternate” that is not your own
  • choose a province other than Ontario for your address; correct it after the account is up
  • use the French site

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.