cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my sim card stopped working

apollo2004
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So my sim card stopped working all of a sudden. I have no WiFi and this is my only mode of communication. The sim card isn't that old. I just got a new one in 2020 I believe. Please advise what I need to do. I can't use my phone and am isolated. Only sporadic use of WiFi.

33 REPLIES 33

pmuser12345

After a little more research, here's what I found. It seems to be happening to all the Google Pixel 4a 5g after the update.

https://piunikaweb.com/2022/01/17/pixel-4a-5g-sim-card-not-detected-bug-after-august-update-escalate...

pmuser12345

Thanks for all your help @esjliv I really appreciate it.

pmuser12345

haha it definitely needs a medic!! I have done a network reset, I will back up everything, I'm not sure if I'm ready to do a factory reset, just yet, Maybe I'll let it sit in a bag of rice over night first.

My phone is a google pixel 4a 5g, and yes, I've had it since Nov 2021, I did buy it second hand but no issues with it then. I think it may have been my sweat that would've cause it. a little unfortunate...It does have an IP52 rating

@pmuser12345 wrote:

Her SIM card does not work on my phone

@pmuser12345  ok, your account is good, your SIM is good, your phone needs a medic....

My head goes to blacklisted, but you check that.

Then it goes to locked, but you have had this for some time and it was working, right?, humm

What model is your phone? 

Maybe a reset of network settings, if you have not already tried that.

Then, if still issues, back up everything, then do a Factory Reset (if you are comfortable with that).

pmuser12345

Her SIM card does not work on my phone

@pmuser12345 wrote:

I tried it on my girlfriends phone and I was able to call out. I did get a little sweaty at the gym and did notice some moisture on the phone. I guess that could be it if the SIM CARD works on her phone.

@pmuser12345  - does her SIM card work in your phone?

pmuser12345

I tried it on my girlfriends phone and I was able to call out. I did get a little sweaty at the gym and did notice some moisture on the phone. I guess that could be it if the SIM CARD works on her phone.

@pmuser12345 wrote:

Phew! The last 4 digits of my SIM card match my self serve account

@pmuser12345  - Glad to hear that.

Do you know if other users with Public Mobile or other providers having issues?

Check for outages in your area: https://www.telus.com/en/on/outages

or https://downdetector.ca/status/telus/map/ 

Are you able to try your SIM into another compatible phone to test? 

If still no service on another phone, and there are not network issues reported, and your Self Serve account is ACTIVE, then maybe try gently cleaning the contact points of your SIM card with a pencil eraser tip. Also, gently blow into the SIM slot of the phone - perhaps some debris was lodged inside.

Did it get wet or damp recently?

pmuser12345

I tried my SIM card on my old phone and my girlfriends phone, it works fine. My phone won't register any SIM card though. Could it be my phone? It's pretty new, I haven't done anything unusual to it.

pmuser12345

Phew! The last 4 digits of my SIM card match my self serve account

@pmuser12345 wrote:

Yes, all services have been fine until yesterday. No issues, no delayed payments. status on my self serve account is good. I just auto paid my bill on Monday,

Account is active, no red flags.

I'll try putting my sim card in my old phone. I did try putting another sim card in this phone, it also shows unregistered/ NO SIM CARD.

Nothing happening when I tried switching to 3g. still showing the NO SIM CARD .

Thanks for the help!! I appreciate it

@pmuser12345  - alright check this.

Go to the Change SIM Card option under My Profile in your Self Serve account.

There are 4 digits listed there, check that the last 4 digits of your actual SIM card in your phone match.

If so, GREAT!

-------------------

IF they do not match....

Change passwords and security questions to your SELF SERVE account right away, and check your financials. 

1. Log into your Self-Serve account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Lost/Stolen Phone
  3. Select Suspend Service

1- Let the Customer Support Agents (CSA) know about this as well, submit a ticket here – to be connected to the Fraud Management Customer Support Agent (CSA) team who will be able to restore your original SIM card. 

2 - Also recommended to contact your financial institutions to ensure your banking and credit card accounts have not been accessed and checking your social media accounts for any suspicious activity. Make sure you change your passwords to these accounts immediately. 

3 - You may also want to report the fraud to your local police and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501, as well as contact the two national credit bureaus to request a copy of your credit reports and place a fraud warning on your file (Equifax Canada Toll free:1-800-465-7166 and TransUnion Canada Toll free: 1-877-525-3823).

pmuser12345

I've been with Public mobile for 1.5 years now. no recent changes to my auto payment.

I'll check if there's any fraudulent activity on my credit card. No payment issues.

pmuser12345

Yes, all services have been fine until yesterday. No issues, no delayed payments. status on my self serve account is good. I just auto paid my bill on Monday,

Account is active, no red flags.

I'll try putting my sim card in my old phone. I did try putting another sim card in this phone, it also shows unregistered/ NO SIM CARD.

Nothing happening when I tried switching to 3g. still showing the NO SIM CARD .

Thanks for the help!! I appreciate it

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pmuser12345 : How long have you need here? If kinda recently like in the last month or two, did you use a payment card when you activated? If so, check it or call it and see if _they_ thought it might have been a fraudulent payment and that _they_ might have charged it back on their own to protect you. I'm not sure they do that on their own...but check.

pmuser12345

No that I know of. 

pmuser12345

phew... Its not black listed

@Anonymous wrote:

Edit: also...did you perchance chargeback a mysterious charge from Koodo?

@Anonymous  - I was going to ask that...but hoping this was not the case....🤞

@pmuser12345 wrote:

My sim card stopped registering yesterday as well. I fortunately have wifi and am accessing the Public Mobile community on my laptop. I've tried other SIM cards, they don't register either. It must be a Public Mobile issue. Have you had any luck getting it to register?

@pmuser12345  - have you recently activated a SIM card?

Were you successfully charged for the activation and had services up until yesterday, for how long?

What does it say for your status on your Self Serve account? https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/

Do you have another phone you can put your SIM card into and test it?

Try manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily), does this provide services.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey pmuser: Have a look at devicecheck.ca just in case for starters.

Edit: also...did you perchance chargeback a mysterious charge from Koodo?

pmuser12345

Hey z10, I can't dial out at all. not even 611

pmuser12345

My sim card stopped registering yesterday as well. I fortunately have wifi and am accessing the Public Mobile community on my laptop. I've tried other SIM cards, they don't register either. It must be a Public Mobile issue. Have you had any luck getting it to register?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

Wi-Fi isn't related to the Pubic Mobile service and there isn't anything that can be done to a wireless router to fix a non-working Public Mobile SIM card or service.

@computergeek541 : Would you mind copy/pasting that to another user around here. 🙂 Although they've been oddly quiet for a while. I guess they're busy with life. And their friend. hmmm

@BKNS27 wrote:

@apollo2004 

Check your modem or router to see if there is working properly. You might need to unplug it for 30 seconds then power it on.

Also, check if there is a blackout for your wifi carrier.

Wi-Fi isn't related to the Pubic Mobile service and there isn't anything that can be done to a wireless router to fix a non-working Public Mobile SIM card or service.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@apollo2004 wrote:

So my sim card stopped working all of a sudden. I have no WiFi and this is my only mode of communication. The sim card isn't that old. I just got a new one in 2020 I believe. Please advise what I need to do. I can't use my phone and am isolated. Only sporadic use of WiFi.

@apollo2004  - you are referencing Wifi, do you mean Data? Or, are you really having Wifi issues with a modem and/or internet provider?

If you have no Wifi, and also no Data perhaps this is why you have not been around to answer some of the questions being asked...🤔

For network issues, try one or more of the below to troubleshoot:

*turn off your phone, then reboot

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings on your device

*manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) for dropping or unable to make incoming/outgoing calls

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@apollo2004 @What is the model of phone you have.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@apollo2004 

Check your modem or router to see if there is working properly. You might need to unplug it for 30 seconds then power it on.

Also, check if there is a blackout for your wifi carrier.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Check your SIM Card Status in your phone. Mobile network type? Service state?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Could you clarify 'stopped working'?

You cannot receive/send calls/SMS?

What your PM self-serving account says? Is your account active? Did it go into suspension by any chance?

Can you try your SIM in any other phone?

Does your phone says your provider is PM or even that is not showing up?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @apollo2004   Did you login to My Account and confirm if your account is Suspended or Active?

If it shows Active, please try to reseat your SIM.  Simply power down your device and putt the SIM out for a minutes.  Then you can put it back in and test

Also, you might want to try your SIM in another phone and see if you get the same result

In case you need a new SIM, you can buy it from a retail store and then Login to My Account and click Change SIM when you are ready to change to the new SIM 

Need Help? Let's chat.